Looking for some tasteful mods - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 01-07-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Hi, I recently purchased a 2011 Honda accord ex-l v6 coupe. After owning it a few months, and getting the feel for it's limits and how it drives, I created a wishlists of mods to add on to the car. These are:
1. Cat-back exhaust system (currently thinking about a Takeda 304 SS)
2. Flashing the ECU (I do not have any sort of warranty on the car, what is the best program to use?)
3. Cold air intake (Suggestions?)
4. High flow cat
5. New rims and tires (Not sure on what rims, open to suggestions)
6. Sequential turn signals (I have not found any yet, any suggestions?)
Here is a picture of my car, let me know what you guys think, and please leave suggestions on what brands/ other mods are the best.

I am by no means a mechanic, and any cheap but effective mods are ideal

Attached Images
sub786 likes this.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-07-2018 at 08:01 PM. Reason: merge
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Pedal Down

Welcome to forum.
I happen to love the G35 7 spoke 18" rims. I've been trolling craiggers for a decently priced set myself.
Another forum has some beautiful pics.
(I also have an '11 Coupe).
As I understand it, any of the G35 wheels (Rays etc...) will bolt right on.
You will likely want a hub ring spacer which are quite cheap, and with certain wheels you may need extended lugs. The offset is very slightly different, and again you could get a small spacer behind the Infinity wheels to push the wheel out 4mm or whatever it is to make it look stock 'flush', but that's merely a small appearance detail and not needed.
Stock Hyundai Genesis wheels bolt up too. There's some cool 19" any maybe 20" ones out there.

I'll be interested in what you do for CAI. I had a K&N that came with my TSX and it sounded fantastic!

Oh, and I also applied a very good adhering black vinyl on my upper grill chrome piece. That subtle easy cosmetic mod was the best I felt. The newer '11-'12 grills were no way near as attractive as the '08-'10 grills.

This pic is not mine but sports the beautiful OEM G35 7 spoke wheels (not to be confused with the smaller 17" OEM G35 wheels):

Attached Images

2011 Accord Coupe LX-S AT i4 cyl.
'04 Acura TSX 2.4L 6MT
'95 Acura Integra RS 5MT (bought new, had it 19.5 years!)
post #3 of 27 Old 01-08-2018, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael__croft View Post
Hi, I recently purchased a 2011 Honda accord ex-l v6 coupe. After owning it a few months, and getting the feel for it's limits and how it drives, I created a wishlists of mods to add on to the car. These are:
1. Cat-back exhaust system (currently thinking about a Takeda 304 SS)
2. Flashing the ECU (I do not have any sort of warranty on the car, what is the best program to use?)
3. Cold air intake (Suggestions?)
4. High flow cat
5. New rims and tires (Not sure on what rims, open to suggestions)
6. Sequential turn signals (I have not found any yet, any suggestions?)
Here is a picture of my car, let me know what you guys think, and please leave suggestions on what brands/ other mods are the best.

I am by no means a mechanic, and any cheap but effective mods are ideal
Personally, if I had the V6 I would go with the magnaflow catback system. As far as more exhaust work, look into RV6 performance. They make some sweet ceramic coated parts such as PCDs, racing pipes, high flow cats, etc. and even have combo packages with KTuner which you would need to do a reflash/tune on the ECU. As far as intake goes, it's purely preference. On my i4, I am running an Injen CAI but the Takeda SRI is nice as well. With the tune it should make minor gains, but the catback and other parts will provide greater gains. For turn signals, just go retrofit and redo your whole headlight assemblies. You can get as creative as you want (with the amount of money you have) and have the greatest amount of light output and style. As far as other mods, since you have the V6 you have more freedom for performance mods. Look into the MDX manifold spacer I believe it is, and other options. You could also go with UR pulley sets. These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head that I have seen on other cars. Best of luck! I would check either Heeltoe Performance, or Throwdown Performance Sites for the best deals/options for your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMM View Post
Welcome to forum.
I happen to love the G35 7 spoke 18" rims. I've been trolling craiggers for a decently priced set myself.
You will likely want a hub ring spacer which are quite cheap, and with certain wheels you may need extended lugs. The offset is very slightly different, and again you could get a small spacer behind the Infinity wheels to push the wheel out 4mm or whatever it is to make it look stock 'flush', but that's merely a small appearance detail and not needed.
Stock Hyundai Genesis wheels bolt up too. There's some cool 19" any maybe 20" ones out there.

I'll be interested in what you do for CAI. I had a K&N that came with my TSX and it sounded fantastic!
I too am a fan of the G35 style. I was looking into a set of staggered Avid.1 AV-06 rims as a winter option until I can save for some 3 piece forged with coils

2009 Accord CS1

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-09-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: le merge

post #4 of 27 Old 01-08-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMM View Post
Welcome to forum.

Oh, and I also applied a very good adhering black vinyl on my upper grill chrome piece. That subtle easy cosmetic mod was the best I felt. The newer '11-'12 grills were no way near as attractive as the '08-'10 grills.

This pic is not mine but sports the beautiful OEM G35 7 spoke wheels (not to be confused with the smaller 17" OEM G35 wheels):
Those wheels look great! I wish I could get a full set of HRE.... but I also don't want to shell out a small fortune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev1ant View Post
Personally, if I had the V6 I would go with the magnaflow catback system. As far as more exhaust work, look into RV6 performance. They make some sweet ceramic coated parts such as PCDs, racing pipes, high flow cats, etc. and even have combo packages with KTuner which you would need to do a reflash/tune on the ECU. As far as intake goes, it's purely preference. On my i4, I am running an Injen CAI but the Takeda SRI is nice as well. With the tune it should make minor gains, but the catback and other parts will provide greater gains. For turn signals, just go retrofit and redo your whole headlight assemblies. You can get as creative as you want (with the amount of money you have) and have the greatest amount of light output and style. As far as other mods, since you have the V6 you have more freedom for performance mods. Look into the MDX manifold spacer I believe it is, and other options. You could also go with UR pulley sets. These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head that I have seen on other cars. Best of luck! I would check either Heeltoe Performance, or Throwdown Performance Sites for the best deals/options for your car.
Approximately how much hp/ torque do you think a full ecu flash, cat back, and CAI would add? Also thinking about possibly adding new headers

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-09-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: le merge
post #5 of 27 Old 01-09-2018, 06:56 AM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
Since you said "tasteful mods"- I would avoid tinting your tail lights as that is not only illegal in the USA and dangerous everywhere else- it is also something that can easily void your car insurance. Call your agent up and ask if you will still be covered if you tint your tail lights....or if your payout would be mitigated if you were rear-ended.

Wheels weight: Unsprung weight on a car is a big deal for acceleration and handling. Should you pick up another set, compare/contrast wheel AND tire weights (should you go up/down a size). Your "butt dyno" will be able to tell the difference of 15 pounds up or down with a V6 engine.

MOST IMPORTANT: Change your fluids and keep up with your maintenance including checking all fluid levels regularly.
Dev1ant likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
Michael__croft (01-09-2018)
post #6 of 27 Old 01-09-2018, 07:30 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Since you said "tasteful mods"- I would avoid tinting your tail lights as that is not only illegal in the USA and dangerous everywhere else- it is also something that can easily void your car insurance. Call your agent up and ask if you will still be covered if you tint your tail lights....or if your payout would be mitigated if you were rear-ended.

Wheels weight: Unsprung weight on a car is a big deal for acceleration and handling. Should you pick up another set, compare/contrast wheel AND tire weights (should you go up/down a size). Your "butt dyno" will be able to tell the difference of 15 pounds up or down with a V6 engine.

MOST IMPORTANT: Change your fluids and keep up with your maintenance including checking all fluid levels regularly.
I agree with the taillight tint statement, however NY state law dictates that they must be visible from 500 ft away in the daylight. So to avoid that issue, I removed the incandescent bulbs in my tails and replaced them with high lumen LED bulbs which allow the light to be visible. That being said, my family in law enforcement stated that they were legal. Although not an issue for me specifically, I would heed what RickBlaine states and avoid the tint and refer to the laws in your respective state in regards to ANY tint modifications

Quote:
Approximately how much hp/ torque do you think a full ecu flash, cat back, and CAI would add? Also thinking about possibly adding new headers
I wish I could state specifically, however with the tune and a dyno you'll squeeze out the most that they could offer.

2009 Accord CS1

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-09-2018 at 01:48 PM. Reason: le merge
The Following User Says Thank You to Dev1ant For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (01-09-2018)
post #7 of 27 Old 01-09-2018, 11:15 AM
2011 LX-S Coupe Automatic

Go Fast Needs to Stop Fast...

First thing I would go for is a set of Hawk Semi metallic Brake Pads for a Daily Driver. Get rid of these worthless OEM Ceramic Brake pads. Or go with any number of good quality set of brake pad manufactures. Just make sure they are semi metallic brake pads, not ceramic brake pads or organic brake pads.

Good luck

Dimitri

2011 HONDA ACCORD LX-S COUPE, 2.4L AUTOMATIC

NOVATO, CA - NORTH BAY AREA
post #8 of 27 Old 01-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post

Go Fast Needs to Stop Fast...

First thing I would go for is a set of Hawk Semi metallic Brake Pads for a Daily Driver. Get rid of these worthless OEM Ceramic Brake pads. Or go with any number of good quality set of brake pad manufactures. Just make sure they are semi metallic brake pads, not ceramic brake pads or organic brake pads.

Good luck

Dimitri
If you are talking about stopping power, then good tires are critical as well.

Semi-metallic is great, except some of them shed a lot of dust and can be noise, as is the case on my RX-8.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-09-2018, 02:33 PM
A Scusi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
If you are talking about stopping power, then good tires are critical as well.

Semi-metallic is great, except some of them shed a lot of dust and can be noise, as is the case on my RX-8.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.
You're better off getting EBC YellowStuff. They're non-metallic = don't destroy rotors like semi metallics do, and they're quiet, unlike noisy semi metallics, plus they work better, more biting force, more fade resistance.

True, good tires make a huge difference in improving braking performance, as do upgraded calipers, lightweight rims, stainless steel brake lines, DOT 4 brake fluid, lower center of gravity, tightened chassis and suspension, corner balancing, etc. Many ways to improve total braking and handling performance.
KW2004Accord likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to BanzaiRocket For This Useful Post:
UnknownJinX (01-18-2018)
post #10 of 27 Old 01-09-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for all the suggestions! Currently looking into a lot of all of these things!
post #11 of 27 Old 01-09-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Also, does anyone out there know about how much power a throttle body spacer would add?
post #12 of 27 Old 01-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Also, does anyone out there know about how much power a throttle body spacer would add?
It's complete BS.

The only way to legitimately add power with a throttle body spacer is hooking up a NOs kit with it. In that application, a throttle body spacer is pretty useful.

Oh, another useful mod is interior LED conversion. I did it to my 8th Gen Coupe and I really like it. Now my RX-8 has interior LEDs as well.

I used to have a kit from DiodeDynamics, but their vanity LEDs are wayyy too bright. One of my friends almost got blinded by them, LOL. I now recommend CorsoMotion, as their vanity LEDs are of a more reasonable brightness, just a hair brighter than the factory halogens.
Attached Images

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-09-2018, 07:14 PM
Roll Tide!

So I'm surfing the board, and the right hand side I see the "Recent Discussions" tile. Within in it, I see "Looking for some..." as the thread title for the 6th thread from the top, so I just had to click on it. I must say, now that I'm here, I am extremely disappointed in this thread.

RickBlaine, I demand a full refund of membership fees for having to endure this click bait trap. And before you ask, no I did not pay a membership fee. I want the fees all these other bozo's have paid since I became a member here. K-thanks!

V
V
V
v
v
Attached Images

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #14 of 27 Old 01-09-2018, 07:55 PM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
People that don't search first usually end up wasting their money and blowing up their car.
post #15 of 27 Old 01-09-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
People that don't search first usually end up wasting their money and blowing up their car.
Why I haven't bought anything yet. I wanted a few more opinions on a few things. I am not going to straight pipe it with a cardboard box labeled "Cat" on the bottom of my car and buy an frs super charger kit and hope things go smoothly.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.