Upgraded battery to 24F two weeks ago, car is hard to start now - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
  • 2 Post By drowned12
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-05-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Upgraded battery to 24F two weeks ago, car is hard to start now

I have a 2012 SE, 4-cylinder with 95,000 miles.
I wasn't having battery issues, but I did find that it was a little slow to start lately and I've had the car since 2014 with the original battery so I figured it was time and chose to purchase a 24F from Walmart.

My husband was able to easily place the battery and everything seemed fine. Fast forward 2 weeks later, and the car is having issues starting.
I got in my car yesterday after work, turned the key, let all the gauges light up, turned the key more and it just wouldn't turn over completely. I kept the key turned for a few more seconds and it finally started.

Today it started fine when I left for work, also when I left for lunch, but again when I tried to start it to leave work for the day, it was weak turning over. But it didn't make the sound it did yeasterday when I had to hold the key and wait for it to finally turn over.

What could be going on with a brand new battery?

Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-05-2018, 03:26 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

Terminals not tightened enough on the battery.

Or defective battery.

97trophy and KW2004Accord like this.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 01-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Out of Control

Could also be the battery isn't up to a full charge, a lot of short trips after the new install, battery may have sat for a while in the store (date code on the battery ?) and the really cold temperatures all combined, (I always have the new battery charged overnight before installing). In the last 2 weeks have you been hwy. driving for a couple hrs, like on a trip ?

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K

post #4 of 5 Old 01-05-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2004Accord View Post
Could also be the battery isn't up to a full charge, a lot of short trips after the new install, battery may have sat for a while in the store (date code on the battery ?) and the really cold temperatures all combined, (I always have the new battery charged overnight before installing). In the last 2 weeks have you been hwy. driving for a couple hrs, like on a trip ?
My commute is about 30 minutes one way. That is the longest I've driven.
Everything else is shorter or about that time. So really not that long in actuality.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-05-2018, 04:17 PM
Out of Control

As drowned12 said, take the car to where you bought the battery (or Auto Zone, Advance, Walmart) & have it checked for CCA (cold cranking amps. NOT CA - cranking amps.) should be a free service, then you will know if the battery is able to hold a full charge. The alternator provides a charge to the battery to maintain the charge state (run your car), very small amount goes into charging up the battery. On your drive in to work & coming back you are charging up, when you drive lunch maybe not so much.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.