Replacing entire steering wheel? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Replacing entire steering wheel?

I bought a 2008 Accord and it had an after market steering wheel and the horn didn't work, and the airbag light was on.
After doing some research, I believe I'll have to replace the entire steering wheel and air bag, clock spring etc because I think the previous owner must have ruined it all when he switched steering wheels.

I called a Honda dealership and they estimated 2,000 to replace the entire thing, including $600 for the wheel, and over $1,000 for the airbag.

This seemed absurd to me considering the car itself goes for around $7,000.

There must be a better way to go about this.

Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers? I don't even know where to start looking for this kind of thing. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-03-2018, 04:26 PM

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
unless you are in Mogadishu or Russian-annexed Crimea.

The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
Berkelium (01-03-2018)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-03-2018, 06:49 PM
Out of Control

Contact an independent repair shop for a price quote if you don't want to do it yourself.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K

post #4 of 7 Old 01-03-2018, 07:22 PM

Accords are so readily available why even buy one with a modified steering and missing airbag. Not like you got a super deal on it. Hit up a junk yard and start sourcing parts. You should be able to get everything from one car with rear collision. Hopefully you'll get a functioning airbag. The original owner might have even had the airbag deployed and used the aftermarket wheel instead of getting it repaired properly. In that case you'll have items to replace.

2007 EX-L 4DR
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 03LXV6 For This Useful Post:
Berkelium (01-05-2018), RickBlaine (01-03-2018)
post #5 of 7 Old 01-03-2018, 07:28 PM

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
^Excellent point, didn't even think of that.

OP, if you go to a "pick-and-pull" place make sure the battery is disconnected (if its even there) when you remove the steering wheel and airbag from the donor car, and as well when you install on your car....
The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
Berkelium (01-05-2018)
post #6 of 7 Old 01-03-2018, 07:59 PM
5th Gear

I wonder if the Takata airbag recall could help you. If the car is still on the recall list you could get a new airbag after swapping in the donor one.

2011 V6 2dr BB w/Nav
The Following User Says Thank You to Stuff For This Useful Post:
Berkelium (01-05-2018)
post #7 of 7 Old 01-05-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
unless you are in Mogadishu or Russian-annexed Crimea.
I found some steering wheels claiming "with airbag", do you think one of those would do the trick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
I wonder if the Takata airbag recall could help you. If the car is still on the recall list you could get a new airbag after swapping in the donor one.
I just looked into this. Seems like I am only eligible for a passenger airbag replacement.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.