Drove into a tree - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
7Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 12-29-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Drove into a tree

It was not a good day today, it was slippery and I drove into a tree. The road was snow/ice covered, the car starts to slide, I over corrected and ended up punching a tree. Everyone was okay, the airbags didn't deploy as it was quite a slow collision. The door and A-pillar was fine, the wheel/tire was fine, the car drove straight and acted normal (I had to drive it 10 miles home). Not planning fixing it on my own, taking it to a collision center tomorrow.

Total or not totaled?
How to retrieve my aftermarket parts that are on the car if the car does end up totaled?

Attached Images

2010 Accord LX Sedan (97k)

TL Non-SH-AWD RSB
K&N Drop-in Filter

WOP:
OEM EX trim front shock tower brace
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Just here for the food

Drove into a tree

to answer your second question... at least just by looking at your car, you're gonna need at least three new parts: front bumper, headlight assembly (passenger side, of course), and that front side panel. I'm not educated enough to tell you what else might need replacing lol.

there are aftermarket bumpers around... and there are most definitely aftermarket headlight assemblies that resemble OEM. side panel... collision shop most likely will be your best bet

'09 EX-L Sedan L4 "Nina" | NH578
Current mods:
  • LED interior lights (warm white dome + map | blue courtesy/door)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 6000k COB LED Bar DRL/Fogs (just for looks) INOP

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • NOKYA Hyper Yellows for DRLs/Highs
Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 21 Old 12-29-2017, 06:33 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Fixable, not totaled.
teezythakidd likes this.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic

post #4 of 21 Old 12-29-2017, 06:34 PM
Rollin in FL

Garage
It shouldn't be totaled at all, as the pictures shows minor damage, but we could be wrong if any of the components inside might have broke during this incident.

Also, I am not sure if you can retrieve any of your aftermarket parts from the car if it does end up being totaled. I saw this one youtube video, posted by Cletus MacFarland (or something similar) and he found a fairly new Mustang GT with aftermarket parts at Copart (an auction place).
teezythakidd likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mine:
Lucky- 1999 Honda Accord LX 2.3L 4AT- 112K (SSM)

Parents:
Pato- 2016 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5L CVT- 42k (ABM)
Lelu 2.0- 2017 Acura MDX w/ Tech 3.5L 9AT-- 2100 miles (BCP)

Long gone:
Lelu- 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/navi & res 3.5L- 151k (SGM)(traded-in)
2004 Hyundia Elentra Hatchback GLS- Idk miles (Silver) totaled
post #5 of 21 Old 12-29-2017, 07:21 PM

If you have the original parts you can swap out the parts if you ask. User drowned did it recently.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #6 of 21 Old 12-29-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6 View Post
If you have the original parts you can swap out the parts if you ask. User drowned did it recently.
Thanks, almost forgot about drowned.

TL Non-SH-AWD RSB
K&N Drop-in Filter

WOP:
post #7 of 21 Old 12-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Roll Tide!

Great job on posting carnage pics without having to be asked, bro.

Is the tree going to be okay?
teezythakidd likes this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #8 of 21 Old 12-29-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
Great job on posting carnage pics without having to be asked, bro.

Is the tree going to be okay?
The tree will live, a few scuff marks is all. The headlight and the fender really saved both the tree and the car.
jimijam likes this.

TL Non-SH-AWD RSB
K&N Drop-in Filter

WOP:
post #9 of 21 Old 12-29-2017, 08:51 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

I would guess totaled. Similar damage as Accord #1 and that was a 2012.

You may get lucky if the airbag didn't deploy and there wasn't any damage to the driveshaft or control arms.

If totaled yes you can get the aftermarket parts back from the tow yard but you need to put OEM back on. I had to leave several parts behind because they would have taken me too long to extract (like the intake runner). Whatever parts you do put back on you can put on in the most half-arsed way possible since it doesn't matter. Also if totaled you'll have a buyback option and could probably fix that car up in a lazy way for much less than "like new" would cost at a body shop.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #10 of 21 Old 12-29-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
I would guess totaled. Similar damage as Accord #1 and that was a 2012.

You may get lucky if the airbag didn't deploy and there wasn't any damage to the driveshaft or control arms.

If totaled yes you can get the aftermarket parts back from the tow yard but you need to put OEM back on. I had to leave several parts behind because they would have taken me too long to extract (like the intake runner). Whatever parts you do put back on you can put on in the most half-arsed way possible since it doesn't matter. Also if totaled you'll have a buyback option and could probably fix that car up in a lazy way for much less than "like new" would cost at a body shop.
Drowned12 if you dont mind me asking, after you extracted your HFP wheel off of Accord #1, did you put the factory steel wheel back on the tires nor no? I know the HFP are different size, so you must have bought new tires with HFP. In my case, the elantra wheels are the same size as the factory steels, so i just utilized the tires that I had on hand (meaning i have no tires on the factory steel wheels).

TL Non-SH-AWD RSB
K&N Drop-in Filter

WOP:
post #11 of 21 Old 12-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudouc View Post
Drowned12 if you dont mind me asking, after you extracted your HFP wheel off of Accord #1, did you put the factory steel wheel back on the tires nor no? I know the HFP are different size, so you must have bought new tires with HFP. In my case, the elantra wheels are the same size as the factory steels, so i just utilized the tires that I had on hand (meaning i have no tires on the factory steel wheels).
Yeah I had my OEM Dunlops with steel rims in the backyard that I threw on. Sold the plastic covers on ebay for $100.
Hudouc likes this.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #12 of 21 Old 12-30-2017, 05:28 AM
Out of Control

Sorry it happened. Glad you’re OK. Thanks for the photos. It looks like a 2010 Accord Sedan LX with 100,000 miles has a trade-in value of about $4,500, give or take a little. My understanding is that most insurance companies will considered it totaled if the repair cost is around 80% of its value. Do you think repairs costs are more than $3,600?

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #13 of 21 Old 12-30-2017, 06:59 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
It's fixable. However, I believe insurance might want to total it because shops will charge an arm and a leg.
KW2004Accord likes this.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 177k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2003 Ford F-150
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #14 of 21 Old 01-05-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Quick Update:

Insurance now has the car, looking at an estimate on Monday.

TL Non-SH-AWD RSB
K&N Drop-in Filter

WOP:
post #15 of 21 Old 01-08-2018, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Latest Update:

The car did not get totaled, will be fixed.
$5800 worth of damage.

Parts replaced/repaired based on what my adjuster told me over the phone:

Hood
Fender
Bumper
Headlight
Front Impact Bar
Tie Rod
Core Support
Radiator Support
Condenser
Passenger Door
A Pillar

TL Non-SH-AWD RSB
K&N Drop-in Filter

WOP:
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.