Lost transmission fluid - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
7Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 24 Old 01-02-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
That explains the smoke, I was concerned about that. Doesn't seem like serious damage besides to the lines and rad then.

Let's hope so.

It also explains why the heater stopped producing hot air in the final 100 metres of the drive home.

Mark - Retired automotive lighting engineer
14 Accord Touring V6 Sedan

2014 Audi S4 | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

Gone but not forgotten :97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 01-03-2018, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Corvalis TTX

Got the car back. Trans is shifting as perfectly as it was before the fluid loss so no apparent damage there. Took a look at the old rad - the bottom of it basically corroded and fell apart. I was lucky to get the car home. An aftermarket rad and two OEM trans cooler lines were installed along with all new Honda coolant and Honda ATF fluid.

2014 Audi S4 | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

The Following User Says Thank You to Markus For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (01-05-2018)
post #18 of 24 Old 01-03-2018, 01:23 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

So basically salt doing the equivalent of sand blasting it? Does the car have its splash shield?

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 24 Old 01-03-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
So basically salt doing the equivalent of sand blasting it? Does the car have its splash shield?
Yep splash shield is still there. And I think you're right - salt and age took their toll on the components.

post #20 of 24 Old 01-03-2018, 02:50 PM

So I was wrong about the no cooler lines on the 2014 but was right about the fittings rotting out at the joint into the radiator. I still think it's a defect in the design. The older 6th gen Accord's cooler line fittings were welded onto the lower portion of the radiator, they aren't an add-on fitting. The key to this problem is a washer in between the fitting and the radiator, it is of a different type of metal, causing rust to form.

check this thread on mdxers.org,
Attached Images

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t-rd For This Useful Post:
Markus (01-03-2018), RickBlaine (01-05-2018)
post #21 of 24 Old 01-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

Seems like it would be a good idea to get under there and paint that connection with liquid electrical tape or silicone.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

The Following User Says Thank You to drowned12 For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (01-05-2018)
post #22 of 24 Old 01-05-2018, 05:46 AM
Pedal Down

Glad to hear about you getting out of that without a blown Transmission.

Level marking comments:
FWIW, I just changed my ATF, and am on my 3rd drain and fill.
When I did the first drain a TON of fluid came gushing out. Easily a bunch more than 2.5 quarts. The level had been solidly in at the middle mark on the stick checking it.
First fill I put back in 2.5 quarts. It didn't even register on the stick, it was below the low mark.
100 miles later 2.7 qts added for 2nd drain and fill. The level was on the stick now, and below the low mark.
I just did a 3rd drain and fill and added 2.85 quarts or so and will check it after I run it today.
Mine is a 2011 i4. (all these checks after fully warmed, level surface within 1-2 min after shutoff).
It doesn't seem to need to be very low on fluid to make a low or no fluid on the stick marking (?)

2011 Accord Coupe LX-S AT i4 cyl.
'04 Acura TSX 2.4L 6MT
'95 Acura Integra RS 5MT (bought new, had it 19.5 years!)
post #23 of 24 Old 01-05-2018, 07:12 AM
Cruzing Through Life!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMM View Post
Glad to hear about you getting out of that without a blown Transmission.

Level marking comments:
FWIW, I just changed my ATF, and am on my 3rd drain and fill.
When I did the first drain a TON of fluid came gushing out. Easily a bunch more than 2.5 quarts. The level had been solidly in at the middle mark on the stick checking it.
First fill I put back in 2.5 quarts. It didn't even register on the stick, it was below the low mark.
100 miles later 2.7 qts added for 2nd drain and fill. The level was on the stick now, and below the low mark.
I just did a 3rd drain and fill and added 2.85 quarts or so and will check it after I run it today.
Mine is a 2011 i4. (all these checks after fully warmed, level surface within 1-2 min after shutoff).
It doesn't seem to need to be very low on fluid to make a low or no fluid on the stick marking (?)
Check the fluid within 90 seconds.

Here are the capacities...
ATF change, 2.6 quarts.
Attached Images
KW2004Accord likes this.

2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Navi
2007 Honda Civic Hybrid Navi
2002 Lexus SC430 V8 Hardtop Convertible
2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 5.7L LS1 V8 Convertible
The Following User Says Thank You to bgw70 For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (01-05-2018)
post #24 of 24 Old 01-05-2018, 07:23 AM

Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
The key to this problem is a washer in between the fitting and the radiator, it is of a different type of metal, causing rust to form.
My cousin is an HVAC/Plumber and lives in a $1.2 million dollar home- paid for by idiotic handymen using dissimilar metals in making water heater and A/C drain connections using "whatever" was handy at the moment. No, you can't just screw on a female copper fitting to a male galvanized pipe end. I mean, you CAN, but the divorce is costly and messy.....
enne likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.