Two seperate issues at startup - A growl and a studder - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-08-2017, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Two seperate issues at startup - A growl and a studder

The cold has finally set in here in KC and a sound my wife was telling me she was hearing is now louder. It's an initial growl that remains a classic power steering whine for a while. It seems like it's on the driver's side, so I'm thinking steering box and not the PS pump. I'm assuming the pump is belt driven and on the passenger side of the engine bay. The noise sticks around until the car is warm, and increases with turning the wheel either way, so I can't see it being anything other than the steering system.

The other issues is a struggle to start, which only happens on occasion, but is now about twice a month to every 10 days. It's only the first start of the day, and sometimes requires a second try to start. The start is a struggling start like an old carbourated engine coughs and studders. No CEL, or any other warning lights. It's seems a bit early for plugs or coil packs, doesn't it?

5 year old, CPO that we've had 2 years. Thoughts?

2012 EX V6 AT Sedan
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Pedal Down

Mileage?
Original battery? Have you done a DVM / Voltmeter test of the battery, both sitting and under load?
Is the engine cranking really strong always it just doesn't want to ignite and start you feel?
Or does the engine cranking sound slower and weaker when it's struggling?

Not sure about the groaning noise. But I'm assuming you've checked your PS fluid is at a good level?

2011 Accord Coupe LX-S AT i4 cyl.
'04 Acura TSX 2.4L 6MT
'95 Acura Integra RS 5MT (bought new, had it 19.5 years!)
post #3 of 10 Old 12-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Out of Control

search on PS o-ring. that'll fix the early cold morning whine.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-09-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMM View Post
Mileage?
Original battery? Have you done a DVM / Voltmeter test of the battery, both sitting and under load?
Is the engine cranking really strong always it just doesn't want to ignite and start you feel?
Or does the engine cranking sound slower and weaker when it's struggling?

Not sure about the groaning noise. But I'm assuming you've checked your PS fluid is at a good level?
The battery is good. It's not like a struggle for the starter to turn over. It's more of a slower, rough start to ignite. I just can't find a pattern to when it's happening, either.

2012 EX V6 AT Sedan
post #5 of 10 Old 12-09-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
search on PS o-ring. that'll fix the early cold morning whine.
Thanks. I checked out the posts and also found a video. I'm sure that's all it is. Thanks again!

2012 EX V6 AT Sedan
post #6 of 10 Old 12-09-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Oh, and mileage is just at 57k. I thought about just running a can of sea foam or something similar with the next couple of fill ups.

2012 EX V6 AT Sedan
post #7 of 10 Old 12-09-2017, 09:47 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcM View Post
Oh, and mileage is just at 57k. I thought about just running a can of sea foam or something similar with the next couple of fill ups.
BG 44 (Amazon) or go to Walmart for the $20 injector up the fuel rail clean out, then get on the interstate & hammer the gas pedal a few times. Air filter changed, any cracks in the air filter box hose ?

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #8 of 10 Old 12-12-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Intake looks solid. I'm probably due for an air filter with this oil change. I think I'll tackle everything above over the holidays when i do the oil. It's time for an air filter, cabin filter, tire rotate and I'll also do the PS o-ring and a fuel system cleaner. Thanks

2012 EX V6 AT Sedan
post #9 of 10 Old 12-12-2017, 08:02 PM
5th Gear

Does it has VCM with auto?
If it has Auto Transmission then there is a problem with you spark plug #3 is all fouled up.
So I would get all plugs looked at and verify that all coils can fire at 30K volts. Do battery stress test. All batteries will Die in 3-5 years not matter what.

VCM is NOT available on real hondas with 3 foot paddles.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-05-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I'll check #3. It is the auto with VCM and I put a new battery in it about 18 months ago. So I'm checking #3 because it gets fouled by going unused when with the VCM, correct? I'm going to swap out that o-ring this weekend. Shift yourself silly, Rattmann. I have to keep my right arm free to swat at the kids when they start annoying me from the back seat. Thanks for the info!

2012 EX V6 AT Sedan
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.