Power steering leak - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenMM
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-14-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Garage
Power steering leak

Does anybody know what this PS hose is called that's leaking. It looks to be a high pressure line judging by the clamps on it.

Has any one every replaced it or fix it? difficulty level?

Attached Images

Ben: 2010 Accord EX-L sedan, 2.4L, AT, 122K, Alabaster silver metallic
Bu: 2007 Malibu LS sedan, 3.5L, 154K - wife's daily driver
Howard: 2008 Grand Prix sedan, 3.8L, 138.5K - totaled, owned 8 yrs.
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-15-2017, 12:50 AM
1st Gear

The 1st pic with the conventional hose clamp is just a low pressure hose. You might be able to just snug it down or move the clamp a little and re-tighten it.

I think it's this one:

post #3 of 11 Old 11-18-2017, 06:56 AM
Pedal Down

Yeah, pic #1.
That's the "B Pipe" return PS pipe.
My blew out on my '04 TSX. I replaced the Acura one with a Honda part for the 2.4l
It was too long so I cut it down to fit.
It was a pretty easy repair / fix once I determined that was where the leak was from.
Do you have the (easy) steps on how to replace the pipe and get the fluid out of and new PS fluid back into the system?

IIRC, on my TSX which is quite similar, I fished that pipe out from underneath the car on jack stands.
You WILL likely think it's mission impossible and cannot come out, but you can wiggle it out in just the right non intuitive spot.

Heck, I'm gonna go get my post for you. One moment...

2011 Accord Coupe LX-S AT i4 cyl.
'04 Acura TSX 2.4L 6MT
'95 Acura Integra RS 5MT (bought new, had it 19.5 years!)

post #4 of 11 Old 11-18-2017, 07:00 AM
Pedal Down

Here it is:

and it's called "the Power Steering combination return pipe 'B' "

Tip on getting started / fluid out of system:
Lift car onto jack stands. Pull the return hose off the PS pump - HAVE A catchy bucket thingee, I used a 'custom' cut soda bottle - anyway have that on hand and at the PS reservoir area first, but out of the way of belts etc... Disconnect the PS return line to the reservoir and put it into the collector / bottle you have there to catch the fluid. Start up the car and turn the wheel full lock left and right a few times to pump the fluid out of the system. Shut down car. Then start disconnecting the clamps and pull that metal line if you're replacing it.
Also, if you live in New England or for some reason you like to dump salt on your car, also, which seems to be quite popular here with RickBlaineModerator, start SWEARING a lot working on rotten out parts.
But anyway it's a pretty easy job, I'd go for it yourself.

And YES, sometimes those clamps just get too loose or worn out. You could also simply try replacing that one front clamp and make it nice and tight and see if it still leaks.
I will also note the HSM (Honda Service Manual) is absolutely stunningly fantastic. It's so much better than a 'Haynes' type of book. I used a link linked here.
KW2004Accord likes this.

'04 Acura TSX 2.4L 6MT
post #5 of 11 Old 11-18-2017, 08:17 AM

I used this video to drain old power steering fluid out of the system, it does not require you to start the engine.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #6 of 11 Old 11-20-2017, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Garage
Thanks for the insight on the part. Gunna degrease and brake clean the area and tighten the clamp a bit and see where we're at. Hopefully it's just a little bit of fluid seeping past the clamp. Will keep you updated.

post #7 of 11 Old 11-20-2017, 06:35 AM
Pedal Down

Mine leaked at that exact spot. Same mess.
It's hard to say 1000% what the very specific cause was, b/c it's hard to get that part out with old rotted connectors etc... But when the pipe was loose and out and it definitely had a very small, very thin - easy to not see, crack in it right below that clamp at the front end of the car. The outer surface of the pipe was quite rusty and the outer layer sloughed right off in my hands as well. There were no other cracks present and despite loosing a layer the rest of the pipe felt fairly strong.

I had not tried to tighten that clamp before - in fact I couldn't anyway due to it's condition.
But I'm curious, please post up your findings.

'04 Acura TSX 2.4L 6MT
post #8 of 11 Old 12-06-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Garage
I cleaned it off pretty thoroughly with engine de-greaser and brake clean. And then tightened the clamp maybe a half turn. That was a few weeks ago and no noticeable leak thus far.

I will note that the previous owner washed the engine before he sold this car to me, so maybe that's where everything settled and dried up when it was washed off somewhere else.

Also the pipe is actually made of plastic. It's about 2 ft long and leads to the front of the car to another rubber hose below the PS pump.

post #9 of 11 Old 12-08-2017, 05:34 AM
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_rider View Post
Does anybody know what this PS hose is called that's leaking. It looks to be a high pressure line judging by the clamps on it.

Has any one every replaced it or fix it? difficulty level?
Mine is leaking from the same spot.. Gotta fix it some day soon
post #10 of 11 Old 12-08-2017, 06:46 AM
Pedal Down

Oddly enough I had a tiny leak in my '11 Accord Coupe. (My prior leak notes were on my '04 Acura TSX 2.4L)
I took my own advice and cleaned it up and looked at tightening that particular clamp. It turned out to be super loose.
I tightened loose the clamp up probably 2 full turns, maybe 3.
The 2 metal clamp wires appear to be digging in pretty good and the hose is swelling a little more now, but that tightened and swelled hose appearance was what seemed to be necessary to stop dribbling in my newly installed metal 'B' return pipe with a new OEM clamp in my TSX.
And I'm surprised it's made of plastic. You're sure? They must have changed the material at some point, either to save cost or maybe avoid rust and rot (?).

'04 Acura TSX 2.4L 6MT
post #11 of 11 Old 01-08-2018, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

Seems to be very common. Mine were leaking on the 06 and 09. Tightened and degreaseed as well. Hopeful that will take care of it.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.