drowned12's second 2012 Accord -now with V6- build thread - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
16Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 148 Old 09-15-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Car so nice, bought twice

drowned12's second 2012 Accord -now with V6- build thread

First 2012 Accord I4 that I had since 36 miles got murdered at 44,000 miles. Picked up a 2012 Accord V6 with about 54,000 miles.

Here's a list of what is going to be done to it:

Performance Parts:

KTuner:
Tune for 91 Octane with all mods installed.
Disable VCM
Disable coasting fuel cut
Linear gas pedal response
Idle target raised 800 rpm
Engine:
RV6 HFPC
RV6 J-Pipe / 3rd Cat Delete
HeelToe J37 intake manifold + throttle body kit.
Throttle body coolant bypass.
L3 Racing CAI (eBay Injen clone) + AEM dry cone filter.
Brakes:
Motul RBF600 fluid
Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors (x4)
Akebono Performance pads
Goodridge stainless lines
Wheels/Suspension:
9G HFP Wheels (19") with 235/40/R19 on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Koni FSD with V6 springs (remove the I4 springs)
Ultra Racing 22mm rear sway bar
Maybe Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing (3 bars)
Maybe Voodoo13 rear control arms w/spherical bushings
Misc:
LED brake lights + Reverse lights (Diode Dynamics)

Maintenance:
Replace engine oil
Replace oil filter
Replace coolant
Replace PS fluid
Replace cabin air filter
Run bottle of Redline SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner
Replace wiper blades
Drain + Fill tranny fluid x3
Replace drive belt
Replace pads + rotors + bed-in
Replace battery with AGM Group 24F (Bosch Platinum)
Detailing:
Wash + Clay Bar + 4 stage paint polish
Sealant + Paste Wax topper
Dress tires
Shampoo + Condition leather
Clean all glass
Remove all ArmorAll from dashboard
Misc:
Install OEM Interior Illumination Kit
Door Grip pockets
Replace driver's sun visor
Replace x4 outer door weatherstriping
Weathertech Mats

Man, typing all this out has me worried that the list is massive!

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, All Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advertisement

post #2 of 148 Old 09-15-2017, 10:33 AM
Just here for the food

Oooooo can't wait

'09 EX-L Sedan L4 "Nina" | NH578
Current mods:
  • LED interior lights (warm white dome + map | blue courtesy/door)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 6000k COB LED Bar DRL/Fogs (just for looks) INOP

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • NOKYA Hyper Yellows for DRLs/Highs
Upcoming:
Plasti-dip stuff
2G TSX XM antenna swap
Deck lid spoiler
Black out roof
LED fog light kit/mod

"Information is not knowledge." Albert Einstein
post #3 of 148 Old 09-15-2017, 10:36 AM
tsebastian03

How difficult is the installation of the OEM illumination kit?

post #4 of 148 Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsebastian03 View Post
How difficult is the installation of the OEM illumination kit?
It wasn't particularly difficult from what I remember when I did it on Accord #1. You do need to drill to mount the lights and running the harness takes a bit of time, but there's step by step instructions:

)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, All Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #5 of 148 Old 09-15-2017, 11:27 AM
2015 Accord Touring I4

Murdered how? Totaled or did the engine/trans go BOOM.

2015 Honda Accord Sedan Touring NAVI I4 CVT White Orchard Pearl
2011 Toyota Venza Premium V6 AWD 6AT Blizzard Pearl
2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
2005 Acura TSX I4 5AT Premium White Pearl (Sold)
2002 Honda Civic Coupe SiG Veloz I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
post #6 of 148 Old 09-15-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08EX-L View Post
Murdered how? Totaled or did the engine/trans go BOOM.
Totaled: My 8G bites the dust (and a 6G) . Sucked because a) wasn't my fault b) I wasn't driving so I didn't even get to be the one to kill it.
08EX-L likes this.

)

post #7 of 148 Old 09-15-2017, 11:37 AM
2015 Accord Touring I4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
Totaled: My 8G bites the dust (and a 6G) . Sucked because a) wasn't my fault b) I wasn't driving so I didn't even get to be the one to kill it.
Nice I was just going through the thread.

post #8 of 148 Old 09-15-2017, 12:07 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
Disable coasting fuel cut
You are going to have to explain this one to me because I don't understand why anyone would do this. Are you worried about fuel cut unsettling the car in a hard corner? Going for deceleration crackles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
The 9th Gen V6 Accord is the "mullet haircut" of the car industry. Bidness in the front, but party in the back when it's "GO TIME".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 152K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
post #9 of 148 Old 09-15-2017, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Chicken View Post
You are going to have to explain this one to me because I don't understand why anyone would do this. Are you worried about fuel cut unsettling the car in a hard corner? Going for deceleration crackles?
It just smooths the drive out a bit more when the engine isn't cutting fuel in and out, same with VCM although that obviously wasn't' a thing on Accord #1's I4. It's all particularly noticeable when in stop-and-go traffic where you might be barely on the gas for a second, and then you just want to coast and you get jerkiness from stuff turning on and off constantly. I found fuel cut didn't make a noticeable difference in fuel economy either.

Also, it makes braking and coasting more predictable. There's no "surge" forward when the engine turns back on <20mph.

)

post #10 of 148 Old 09-16-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Update:

Going through the last 2 stages of polishing now. My garage is hot (like 95F+ hot) so I have to take frequent breaks to cool off which dramatically slows me down so the whole car polishing in total is probably about 36 hours of work. I'm so used to seeing white paint from Accord #1 that it's messing with my head a bit seeing paint that absorbs light instead of reflecting. I'm aiming for about 95% paint correction, but deeper scratches I'm not going after (the kinds that would require an aggressive cutting compound or wet sanding). This thing is going to look amazing when it's done.

Drive belt is replaced. I've done so many on Accord #1 that doing it on Accord #2 is no big deal.

Cabin air filter is also replaced. The previous owner was an occasional smoker so the car does have a musk to it.

Brake and Reverse lights done.

Wheels + tires done.

24F AGM battery done.

)

post #11 of 148 Old 09-18-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Car is fully polished and detailed inside and out (well except for the engine bay which was dealership "detailed" anyways). I may do another pass on the seatbelts, but the leather has been shampoo-ed 3x and conditioned, dashboard cleaned, etc.

Paint is absolutely stunning. It of course has some door dings and the previous owner backed into some things, but with a black car it hides a lot of that.

I'll retake my avatar photo in the same position. Won't be exactly the same because there's now solar parking structures in that area, but close enough

Up next is ordering some Race Ramps to replace the crappy Rhino Ramps I had (don't buy Rhino Ramps...they're a disaster waiting to happen), and then I can get on with fluid replacements. Yeah I could just use a floor jack and jackstands, but with the amount of maintenance I have to do I just want to speed it up.

)

post #12 of 148 Old 09-18-2017, 11:49 AM
2015 Accord Touring I4

Nice, post some photos. My 08 was black also and it was a disaster, full of scratches from the previous owner. I had serious buyers remorse after getting it home (never shop a black car on a cloudy day) lol.

post #13 of 148 Old 09-18-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Spent way too long getting this lined up:

http://radio-pro.ru/forums/at...hmentid=429490

The car is so shiny it almost looks like I photoshopped it into the picture
Attached Images
scar_cle, 08EX-L and stup1ddummy like this.

)

post #14 of 148 Old 09-20-2017, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Small update:

First, I've put the V6 springs on my Koni FSD shocks. Not too hard with an impact and spring compressors. The V6 springs add another coil in the front, and the rear looks identical vs. I4 but has different part number so who knows maybe slightly thicker wire. I can't install them until I get a buddy to come over to help, since it's not possible to do a 1 person install.

Second, removed the dealer added alarm system. Installation quality was alright, but the thing is just going to drain battery and be annoying whenever the car is vibrated (closing the hood, trunk, polishing, etc). Even with the alarm turned off it would still be shock sensitive...stupid design.

What's currently in there is a Voxx Pursuit system. It's tapped into 5 wires (always-on power, "on" ignition switch wire, horn, trunk latch sensor, and the stock alarm system wire), and interrupts the start ignition-key wire. It is also tapped into the door unlock switch via a slice in the grommet that goes to the door panel from the under-dash fuse box area (I'm not exactly sure what the strategy is there...keep a thief locked in the car?) I spent about an hour mapping out what it was tied into (they seemed to use random wire colors so the same circuit would change colors 3 times), and then another hour cutting it out and soldering + heat-shrinking the loose wires.

The dealership was not using half of the input/outputs of the control box. Attached is a diagram of the control box in case anyone happens to show up here from google looking for it.
Attached Images

)

post #15 of 148 Old 09-20-2017, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Update (again):

Changed the spark plugs (because who doesn't do that at 2:30AM?). Cylinders 1-3 are unhappy (the bank closest to the firewall). Cylinder #3 especially looks oily. Cylinder #2 was missing a piece of the insulator and looked like it was having random side-sparking.

I'll have to monitor for oil consumption...tailpipe looks low-soot. I swear I picked up power with the new plugs. EDIT: I checked the service manual, the front bank is all-on in 3 cylinder mode and the rear bank is off, so that might explain why all 3 back plugs look similar since the car was driven by an older lady previously who probably ECO-ed for 99% of the time.

I also calibrated the compass and set it to zone 5 to correspond to AZ. Hold menu button for 5 seconds and it's a "secret menu".

http://radio-pro.ru/forums/at...hmentid=429738
http://radio-pro.ru/forums/at...hmentid=429730

Attached Images
08EX-L likes this.

)

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.