Car gets hit by bus. UPDATE: Car fixed. Before & After Pics Included! - Page 4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
26Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 54 Old 09-29-2017, 04:44 PM
5th Gear

Must feel good to finally get your Baby back from the 'health spa'! She's lookin' really nice.

Hope nobody inflicts any more pain and suffering on her...

Advertisement

post #47 of 54 Old 10-04-2017, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

How do you handle it when you have mega bucks upgrades like Tints, Rims, Stereo, Sub woofer + sundry tech bits and bobs on your car and Insurance wants to write off the vehicle for pennies for a fender bender based on current blue book values.

post #48 of 54 Old 10-04-2017, 08:19 AM

Take you parts with you or tell the insurance company about the parts you've added so they can insure the vehicle for those parts. You still get almost nothing for the parts so best option is to take them off if possible like drowned12 just did. When I crashed my 03, I had a spoiler and wheels from an 05 v6 and I got maybe $20 for each.

2007 EX-L 4DR

post #49 of 54 Old 10-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaviae View Post
How do you handle it when you have mega bucks upgrades like Tints, Rims, Stereo, Sub woofer + sundry tech bits and bobs on your car and Insurance wants to write off the vehicle for pennies for a fender bender based on current blue book values.
For some insurance policies (I know Progressive has it), there is an endorsement (a specific type of coverage) for "custom parts and/or equipment" or something similar, that you can enter a blanket amount for (say I had $900 wheels, $500 body kit, $500 exhaust system, I would have the agent add $1,900 to the custom parts/equipment coverage amount). But you'd better have dated photographs, boxes, garage bills and receipts of every single part you're adding to that amount, because they will just laugh at you if you try to claim something that you didn't schedule. If the parts were on the car before you bought it, they probably will not cover them (and if you assume they will, and you have to produce proof you paid for them, you're in trouble). Like the spoiler and anti-theft system on my Camaro; they were already installed before I purchased the car. They have no idea how much you paid for anything on that car, or if a dealer installed it, or if it was that way from the factory, without some kind of proof that you put it there or had it installed. With this coverage, your premium will most certainly increase because they will factor in those costs and adjust accordingly. Source: work at an insurance company.

One more note, you should always take photographs and document anything you have insurance on, for these reasons.

Other source for more in-depth explanation (generally):
What does custom parts and equipment coverage do?
Custom parts and equipment coverage (CPE) is an endorsement to your policy that covers permanently installed custom parts or equipment, devices, accessories, enhancements and changes other than those installed by the original manufacturer, that alter the performance or appearance of your vehicle. Though the endorsement is separate from your collision and comprehensive coverage, it may be subject to the same deductibles. Policy terms vary, however, customized equipment that generally is covered includes:

-Any dealer-installed equipment that is not offered by the original manufacturer.
-Special equipment such as running boards, brush bars, roll bars, undercarriage lighting, fog lights, bed liners, camper shells, trailer hitches, special roofs, etc.
-Customized wheels – such as alloy or magnesium wheels or wheel covers, aluminum wheels or wire spoke wheels
-Special tires – racing slicks, oversize tires or custom wide-tread tires
-Spoilers, suspensions or performance-related equipment.
-Stereo and sound recording equipment.
-Television and DVD players permanently installed
-Customized paint or decals
-Chrome and reverse chrome
-Aftermarket seats or leather seats not installed by car manufacturer
-Anti-theft devices not installed by car manufacturer

It is also referred to as additional customized parts or equipment, customized parts and equipment, electronic equipment or CPE/accessory coverage.

Is custom parts and equipment coverage mandatory?
No. Custom parts and equipment coverage is not a required coverage.

What happens if I don’t have custom parts and equipment coverage?
If your custom parts or equipment is damaged, your physical damage coverages likely won’t cover them unless you have this coverage. This would leave you personally responsible for the repair or replacement costs. In some states at least $1,000 of custom parts and equipment coverage is included as part of your physical damage coverages, while in other states coverage for customized equipment is excluded under your physical damage coverages, unless you purchase this additional coverage.

Before adding aftermarket parts on your vehicle, it is advisable to check with your car insurance company to make sure you are not voiding out your current car insurance contract. You want to be certain the parts can be covered under your regular policy or by obtaining a custom parts and equipment endorsement. [This is why you shouldn't assume your 600 HP sleeper will have every single aftermarket part covered if you get into an accident]

You should also read your coverage summary and packet to see if things such as non-permanent electronic equipment, like dash cameras, are included or excluded with your regular coverage. Well, you should always read your coverage summary anyway. It's actually very interesting.
zaviae, WILLYumD and red8th like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
The Following User Says Thank You to enne For This Useful Post:
zaviae (10-04-2017)
post #50 of 54 Old 10-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Car so nice, bought twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6 View Post
Take you parts with you or tell the insurance company about the parts you've added so they can insure the vehicle for those parts. You still get almost nothing for the parts so best option is to take them off if possible like drowned12 just did. When I crashed my 03, I had a spoiler and wheels from an 05 v6 and I got maybe $20 for each.
The only caveat is that you have to replace whatever parts you're taking off with something else. Insurance Co assumes that your car is in stock OEM condition when it gets wrecked, so you have to leave them with a stock OEM car if you take your aftermarket parts off. I did end up losing a little bit of $ on parts that I simply couldn't take off in a quick fashion in a dirt lot (Interior Illumination, ported intake runners, control arms, etc).

I managed to indirectly get my wheels paid for twice. The appraiser gave me some value adjustment for alloy wheels, and I got to take them off and put the steelies back on.

I've now just completely maxed out my policy and have aftermarket parts coverage with esurance. It adds a fairly significant amount to my premium (about $100 every 6 months when my premium was about $500), but I'm covered up to $3k worth of aftermarket parts, which I probably hit. Wheels and tires alone are $2k on my car ($1k wheels, $1k tires).

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #51 of 54 Old 10-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
I've now just completely maxed out my policy and have aftermarket parts coverage with esurance. It adds a fairly significant amount to my premium (about $100 every 6 months when my premium was about $500), but I'm covered up to $3k worth of aftermarket parts, which I probably hit. Wheels and tires alone are $2k on my car ($1k wheels, $1k tires).
$1,000 tires!?

post #52 of 54 Old 10-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Car so nice, bought twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
$1,000 tires!?
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40/R19 is $225-$250 apiece. TireRack gave me a 20% sympathy discount to replace the one that got destroyed, but then I had to pay part of that back to have the new one shaved to match the other tire's tread depth.

They're expensive but the best tires you can own on any street vehicle. Clean up torque steer and make it so you can take corners at speeds that highlight that you need to replace the OEM suspension to keep up.
enne likes this.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #53 of 54 Old 10-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40/R19 is $225-$250 apiece. TireRack gave me a 20% sympathy discount to replace the one that got destroyed, but then I had to pay part of that back to have the new one shaved to match the other tire's tread depth.
Wow. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, because a friend of mine had a leased Audi A4, and every time he busted a tire on his commute, he was paying $400 a tire (allegedly the stock ones that come on the Audi and have to be replaced with stock because of the lease agreement, or whatever). Yeesh. I think I paid about $320 total for Selene's all-season tires IIRC.

post #54 of 54 Old 11-06-2017, 05:06 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to CharlieHustle Send a message via Yahoo to CharlieHustle
Quote:
The only caveat is that you have to replace whatever parts you're taking off with something else. Insurance Co assumes that your car is in stock OEM condition when it gets wrecked, so you have to leave them with a stock OEM car if you take your aftermarket parts off. I did end up losing a little bit of $ on parts that I simply couldn't take off in a quick fashion in a dirt lot (Interior Illumination, ported intake runners, control arms, etc).

I managed to indirectly get my wheels paid for twice. The appraiser gave me some value adjustment for alloy wheels, and I got to take them off and put the steelies back on.

Even with that extra coverage, you still wont receive full value of what you paid for your aftermarket add ons. Insurance companies factor in depreciation when they put together a payout for your car. That $3K coverage will maybe get you an extra $400 in the event of an accident...unfortunately.
Advertisement

Tags
accident, crashed, heeltoe, j-pipe, xlr8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.