What's Different PZEV vs Non-PZEV - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-29-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Wisdom Born of Age

Question What's Different PZEV vs Non-PZEV

Horsepower and torque ratings for both versions are the same, so what is done differently? I know they use a larger 35 series as opposed to the 51 series battery, but why?

2008 Honda Accord LX-P Sedan Taffeta White
  • XB35 4500K Morimoto HID
  • Morimoto H1 Retrofit
  • Ultra Racing Upper Strut Bar
  • TSX Rear Sway Bar
  • Spyder LED Tail Light w/Tubes
  • PUTCO LED Dome Light Kit
  • Chrome grill overlay
  • Odyssey Lower Grill
  • Stainless steel door sills
  • Crosstour Leather Shift Knob
  • EX-L "Wood" Interior
  • Llumar High Performance 35% Tint
  • Rear Lip

Squirrels ...............nature's speed bump
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksills View Post
Horsepower and torque ratings for both versions are the same, so what is done differently? I know they use a larger 35 series as opposed to the 51 series battery, but why?
Here a link to Honda doc with info on the emission's differences, one of biggest mechanically is the stagger/lag of 1 exhaust value at low rpm till 2500 rpm, this is to get whirl combustion affect .

On the battery i would say its more caused by most of the PZEV vehicles go to upper north-east states which get pretty cold compared to other US states .

""PZEV Version
A PZEV version of the 177- and 190-horsepower four-cylinder engines is sold in California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont. The principal differences between the PZEV Accord and the ULEV-2 version sold in all states are single exhaust valve operation at low rpm, special dual-probe spark plugs and remapped Powertrain Control Module (PCM) programming, in addition to the near-zero evaporative emissions equipment. The horsepower, torque and EPA-estimated fuel economy of the PZEV and ULEV-2 engines are identical.

Single Exhaust Valve Operation
The Accord's 2.4-liter DOHC i-VTEC PZEV-compliant engine has two modes of exhaust valve operation. Below 2500 rpm, only one exhaust valve operates, creating a strong rotational flow in the exhaust gases that creates a "thermal reactor" effect to reduce hydrocarbon emissions. Above 2500 rpm where exhaust flow increases, a hydraulically actuated pin locks the rockers for both exhaust valves together so they operate in unison, following a single cam profile. ""

Ed

2008 Accord LX, Alabaster Silver Metallic
gone 1985 XR4Ti
gone 1974 Opel Manta rally
post #3 of 18 Old 05-29-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Wisdom Born of Age

Thanks Ed, why do you suppose they use a bigger battery?

2008 Honda Accord LX-P Sedan Taffeta White
  • XB35 4500K Morimoto HID
  • Morimoto H1 Retrofit
  • Ultra Racing Upper Strut Bar
  • TSX Rear Sway Bar
  • Spyder LED Tail Light w/Tubes
  • PUTCO LED Dome Light Kit
  • Chrome grill overlay
  • Odyssey Lower Grill
  • Stainless steel door sills
  • Crosstour Leather Shift Knob
  • EX-L "Wood" Interior
  • Llumar High Performance 35% Tint
  • Rear Lip

Squirrels ...............nature's speed bump

post #4 of 18 Old 05-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksills View Post
Thanks Ed, why do you suppose they use a bigger battery?
As I posted above, my "guess" would be because most of them go into cold area's on north-east .
I can't really think the PZEV emissions would need stronger battery . Mine starts up great even in cold weather here in NY and I don't get to do much long runs so battery doesn't even get long charge on it own as it should (I trickle charge mine from time to time) .
# yrs good so far, in my experience most OEM type batteries last like 4-5 yrs, of course there could be duds, especially if car battery was left dead on dealer site any time .

Ed

gone 1985 XR4Ti
post #5 of 18 Old 05-29-2010, 02:02 PM
4th Gear

my question would be....

if i took my accord from the DC area to california, would it pass their smog test or is it pointless?

formerly 08AccordEX

2008 4cyl black/black EX accord (purchased 10/31/07)-died/wrecked(7/5/2011?)
roughly 47,900 miles on it

2011 Toyota Venza v6 AWD Black Grey interior.(replaced wrecked accord)
post #6 of 18 Old 05-29-2010, 02:06 PM
port & polish everything

i think PZEVs optimize emissions even during cranking, my 2007 had a blurb in the owners manual that cold starting may be difficult because of emissions control. I'm sure the 2008+ is the same way.

The bigger battery is extra capacity for cold starts while taking a while to turn over.

2003 LX eternal blue sedan - tsx intake manifold, dc sports header, fujita cold air intake, hondata and p2r heatshields, tls rear sway bar, 6mt strut bar, brembo rotors
2007 SE cool blue sedan - p2r heatshield, k&n drop in, no resonator
2010 LX-S belize blue coupe - bored throttle body, ported runners, hps silicone intake, aem drop in, tsx rear sway bar, ktuner.com
post #7 of 18 Old 05-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Out of Control

here some links on PZEV and how it rates against other emission standards

Ed

gone 1985 XR4Ti
post #8 of 18 Old 05-29-2010, 11:31 PM
In Reverse

All 4-cylinder models are available in PZEV configurations.

V6 PZEV models include only i-VTEC VCM engines and 5-speed automatic transmissions.
PZEV engines include 2 modes of exhaust valve operation.

1) At Below 2500 rpm, only 1 exhaust valve operates, creating a strong rotational flow in the exhaust gases that creates a "thermal reactor" effect to reduce hydrocarbon emissions.

2)Above 2500rpm where exhaust flow increases, a hydraulically actuated pin locks the rockers for both exhaust valves together so they operate in unison, following a single cam profile.

Now.. the important part to note is

Honda has forbidden sales of the Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle version of the car outside California, Florida, Vermont, Connecticut, Arizona, Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New York, Oregon, Maine, New Jersey, Rhode Island, New Mexico and Washington
post #9 of 18 Old 05-29-2010, 11:55 PM
port & polish everything

interesting note, the PZEV cars probably cost more to make.

i don't know about recently, but when i was digging through 7G parts lists, virtually every PZEV specific part costed more than regular emissions.

2003 LX eternal blue sedan - tsx intake manifold, dc sports header, fujita cold air intake, hondata and p2r heatshields, tls rear sway bar, 6mt strut bar, brembo rotors
2010 LX-S belize blue coupe - bored throttle body, ported runners, hps silicone intake, aem drop in, tsx rear sway bar, ktuner.com
post #10 of 18 Old 05-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Out of Control

On 2.4L only the AT5 can be PZEV .

Outtersquare

I don't see much higher priced parts, at least on engine. Its more added parts than anything else (extra rocker spool solenoid, rocker arms )
I guess the dual probe spark plugs would be high priced .

The goal is to have 1 standard for all .

Ed

gone 1985 XR4Ti
post #11 of 18 Old 05-30-2010, 07:05 AM
5th Gear

That's interesting... I bought my car in VA cause it was cheaper, but im registered in Maryland, and the car has a ULEV 2 rating though... I was too thatnwas the pzev for manual trans when I bought it... Thinking now that's not very true...

Btw I think all I4's use the dual probe plugs, and cylinder opening, only emissions equipment seems to be different... According to the honda site anyways...

09 EX Coupe
- I4, 5MT, PMM, TWM Leather wrapped, Pedals, Smoked, ClearGuard, WeatherTech, Deabdged, V6 lip, 35% HP Supreme, 35W 5k Retro Low/Fogs, LED lighting, lower grill w/ plate mod, 22mm Progress, Takeda SRI, ed e9.65i, ed NINe.2, 3sixty.2
post #12 of 18 Old 05-30-2010, 10:35 AM
port & polish everything

the catalytic converter costs twice as much

post #13 of 18 Old 05-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by outersquare View Post
the catalytic converter costs twice as much
Ok, yes the primary cat is 200$ more and secondary cat is 30$ more, guess that's what you get when the warranty is to last 150k miles

Ed

gone 1985 XR4Ti
post #14 of 18 Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Johnnylakis

Send a message via MSN to johnnylakis Send a message via Yahoo to johnnylakis
The North East has pretty strict emissions standards. Being from NY, I dont know how strict, because the whole emissions test here involves plugging the inspection computer into the DLC and reading the OBD II for codes (am I saying this right?)

Anyway, You can see the strict emissions areas in USA at this website. The strict areas are in green

2008 Alabaster Sliver Honda Accord Sedan EX V6
better known as Wanda the Honda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-30-2010, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

As off 2009 the following states will use Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle - Specific to PZEV (CA, CT, MA, ME, NY, PA, RI, VT, NJ, WA, OR)

Accord LX 2009
Sirus Radio
OEM cargo net
LED Interior Illumination
OEM Mad Flaps
WeatherTech FloorLiner
Leather Shift Knob
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.