Vibration when accelerating in the pedals and steering wheel - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
  • 1 Post By RickBlaine
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-27-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Vibration when accelerating in the pedals and steering wheel

So I picked up a 2010 lx with 67k miles about a month ago and was super happy with it until all of a sudden it developed a problem. Whenever I accelerate the pedals vibrate/shake a lot. It doesn't feel dangerous, just annoying. And at freeway speeds, the car vibrates in the steering wheel as well when pushing the accelerator. There is not a lot of vibration in the steering wheel at low speeds, just at higher speeds. The pedals shake at all speeds under acceleration. I just changed the transmission fluid with ATF DW-1. It was the first real work I'd ever done on a car so I hope that didn't screw anything up. Had tires rotates and balanced and the problem still persists. Any idea what could be causing it? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks!

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-27-2017, 06:01 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Vibration ONLY under acceleration is a sign of bad axles.

Or yes, it could be wheels out of balance, low ATF amount, tire imperfections, etc...

To rule out wheels/tires...rotate them and see if problem is better, worse, or same.

The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
Baldeagle (05-29-2017)
post #3 of 9 Old 05-29-2017, 03:51 AM
Cruzing Through Life!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by medodgers View Post
So I picked up a 2010 lx with 67k miles about a month ago and was super happy with it until all of a sudden it developed a problem. Whenever I accelerate the pedals vibrate/shake a lot. It doesn't feel dangerous, just annoying. And at freeway speeds, the car vibrates in the steering wheel as well when pushing the accelerator. There is not a lot of vibration in the steering wheel at low speeds, just at higher speeds. The pedals shake at all speeds under acceleration. I just changed the transmission fluid with ATF DW-1. It was the first real work I'd ever done on a car so I hope that didn't screw anything up. Had tires rotates and balanced and the problem still persists. Any idea what could be causing it? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks!
Did it happen all of a sudden after you did something to the car?

2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Navi
2007 Honda Civic Hybrid Navi
2002 Lexus SC430 V8 Hardtop Convertible
2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 5.7L LS1 V8 Convertible

post #4 of 9 Old 05-29-2017, 07:34 AM
2006 Accord EX

If the ATF is not low and right on the money, I don't think it's that.
Like Rick said, sounds like an axle problem or a high speed balance issue w/the tires...
Check the simplest things first, which is the tires.
First I would try switching front to back on the tires and see if the vibrations go away or stay the same.

Years ago, I had an older Nissan with the same issue you're describing...turns out it was the motor mounts.
I don't think it's motor mounts, but you never know, stranger things have happened, so it wouldn't hurt to have those checked out, too.

2006 Accord EX Coupe...164k and counting..
post #5 of 9 Old 05-29-2017, 08:59 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Accordz View Post
If the ATF is not low and right on the money, I don't think it's that.
Like Rick said, sounds like an axle problem or a high speed balance issue w/the tires...
Check the simplest things first, which is the tires.
First I would try switching front to back on the tires and see if the vibrations go away or stay the same.

Years ago, I had an older Nissan with the same issue you're describing...turns out it was the motor mounts.
I don't think it's motor mounts, but you never know, stranger things have happened, so it wouldn't hurt to have those checked out, too
{bolded}

Never rule out anything until you check it.

Does the mere act of stabbing at the accelerator tend to make the engine rock excessively as you look at it? Someone will need to help you with this.

Or does it tend to knock when you initially hit the accelerator as you drive?

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #6 of 9 Old 05-29-2017, 09:03 AM

Good point! If the first 67,000 miles of that car's life saw jack rabbit starts- that front mount is shot to heck. Need clarification: Does "accelerating on the highway" mean gently cruising up to 65 MPH, or does it mean pedal to the metal up to 90 MPH?
post #7 of 9 Old 05-29-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I had the wheels balanced and rotated and the problem is still there. I added more ATF in because the dipstick indicated it was a little low. And it occurs when gently accelerating at 65 mph just to keep my speed up on the freeway. I never do pedal to the metal. If I let go of the pedal the vibration goes away. It's pretty hilly where I live, and the hills cause the pedals to shake a lot.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 06:50 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
I had the wheels balanced and rotated and the problem is still there. I added more ATF in because the dipstick indicated it was a little low. And it occurs when gently accelerating at 65 mph just to keep my speed up on the freeway. I never do pedal to the metal. If I let go of the pedal the vibration goes away. It's pretty hilly where I live, and the hills cause the pedals to shake a lot.
My 2011 EX-L Coupe with about 80k miles does this but it doesn't sound as violent as your shaking. When I press the pedal in a spirited manner, I can feel vibration in the pedal and wheel. It feels OK when I'm gently accelerating. From what I've been reading, it seems like it's a bad inner CV joint / axle. I plan to get it fixed when it starts vibrating a lot more.

2011 Honda Accord Coupe V6 EX-L
post #9 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
My "internet diagnosis" is telling me that it is most likely the axle(s). If you had to add a little ATF, the seal may have gone bad. The axle juts out of the transmission, so ATF leaking would be another indicator. Many aftermarket axles are dirt cheap- and are bad right out of the box. People buy them because Honda OEM axles are outrageously priced.

Since you bought the car used, I am wondering if the previous owner put low quality axles in there. Honda OEM SHOULD last 140,000 miles or so, not 67,000 miles- so I don't know what is up with that.

But gently pressing onto the accelerator at 65 mph and getting vibrations, and the vibrations disappear as soon as you take your foot off of the accelerator- is a 99% sign that it is an axle issue.
Blu3RSX likes this.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.