HOW I CURED MY 2010 ACCORD LXP from using oil - Page 4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
55Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 122 Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaBob View Post
I plan on replacing my PCV valve (after 102,000 miles) but, you know what, it seems to be impossible to find a HONDA DEALER that has one in stock.
You don't need to get one from the stealership. I bought two of them for our Accords off either Amazon or rockauto. They are the exact same thing as the OEM part. A PCV valve is nothing more than a check valve. The innards are a spring and a ball. You probably don't even need to buy a new one. Just blow some carb cleaner through your old one and you're good to go.

97trophy likes this.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
The Following User Says Thank You to qman For This Useful Post:
HondaBob (05-04-2017)
Advertisement

post #47 of 122 Old 05-04-2017, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

Instead of using Marvel Mystery Oil....I'm a FIRM believer in a product called Kreen.

You have to special order it online (and check a box that says you're a business, but it's no big deal).....
You use it in your oil and in your gas. It works wonders.

post #48 of 122 Old 05-04-2017, 11:18 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSniper69 View Post
Running a high quality oil and oil filter will help prevent any oil consumption issues too. A high quality oil not only protects but also cleans deposits.

I only use top tier fuel.

I must add that I feel Chevron is one of the best. In my area there are Shells and Valeros too and I've used any of the 3 depending on where I was. Never really paid attention to it, cuz they'll all top teir, until I started getting code P0138 & P0139 after roughly 100 miles after filling up, I try to fill up when I have 1/2 tank and never let it go below 1/4 tank. I gotta add that I have PCDs installed with the de foulers, so this wouldn't have been noticed if I had the factory pre cats on. Anyway, once I fill up the CEL light would shut off shortly after. Realizing I was near to doing a tune up anyway I didn't pay any mind to it. Parts were ordered and I was just waiting till they arrived and I had a free weekend. Ok now, I filled up at Chevron and the light never came on, needed gas again and I was near Chevron so filled her up there again, still no CEL. Next I filled up at Shell or Valero, I can't remember, but I'm sure it wasn't a Chevron, also there's still alil over 1/4 tank of Chevron fuel still in the tank, CEL turned on after roughly 100 miles again. So now I'm thinking "no way". Does Chevron really burn that much cleaner? So the next fill up I made it a point to kinda go outta my way to hit a Chevron. Mind you it wasn't the normal Chevron I go to, to further test my theory, and sure as $h!t the CEL never came on. So I'll be going to Chevron as often as possible from now on.

After all this, I've never encountered any oil consumption and I'm alil over 100k miles now. Did the tune up and as expected the CEL no longer comes on at all ever. Car still runs like a champ!
I used to like Chevron because they used to give me Save On(a BC supermarket chain) Points, but they stopped doing that, and their 91 is still ethanol-stained, so I stopped going there. I am tempted to try their 94 now(with the RX-8 as the premium is mandatory), however, which is ethanol-free. Chevron is the only gas station in BC, Canada that offers a 94 octane option. All the other ones top out at 91.

As for Techron... Those bottles of Techron seems to be useless, but the long term use of Chevron gas containing Techron may make a difference.

Shell is also pretty good IMO. That's where I go for my Accord, even though it's a bit out of the way.

Quote:
I plan on replacing my PCV valve (after 102,000 miles) but, you know what, it seems to be impossible to find a HONDA DEALER that has one in stock. Had my B14 service performed Monday. While there, I went to the parts desk to get my spark plugs and a PCV valve. The guy said they would need to order the valve. Same thing at the other Honda dealer in town. WTF. Can't even find it in the Honda ePartsStore. Also I'm sure you guys who have looked at that website have noticed the Honda parts drawings are pathetic, quality-wise.
Not sure about Honda dealerships, but the Mazda one(now that I have an RX-8) told me that they only stock things if more than 3 of the same item were used in a 6-month period. Not that many people worry about PCV valves, so I don't expect dealerships to stock them. Heck, the Mazda one doesn't even stock the brake pads or the plastic clips holding the trunk insulator in place for my RX-8!

Most of the generic drawing for parts are bad. You haven't seen the ones for my Corolla. And at least Honda uses a name that makes sense for the part. My Corolla had a name that makes no sense for a gasket for the PCV or oil drain plug, I can't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
You don't need to get one from the stealership. I bought two of them for our Accords off either Amazon or rockauto. They are the exact same thing as the OEM part. A PCV valve is nothing more than a check valve. The innards are a spring and a ball. You probably don't even need to buy a new one. Just blow some carb cleaner through your old one and you're good to go.
In the States, this makes sense. On Vancouver Island of Canada, not so much. Shipping is expensive, takes forever. Stealership is the best place to grab parts for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishin View Post
Instead of using Marvel Mystery Oil....I'm a FIRM believer in a product called Kreen.

You have to special order it online (and check a box that says you're a business, but it's no big deal).....
You use it in your oil and in your gas. It works wonders.
Normally I don't put anything in the Accord. At most, I dump a 1/3 can of Seafoam in my Accord once a year. Using Top Tier gas on a regular basis is the best practice, as mentioned before.

Some additives can lower octane ratings as well; too much of them and you will cause knocks, which is very bad for the engine. How much of this product do you use?

On the note of ordering something as a business, I somewhat have the same problem with my RX-8. A product called Idemitsu Premix is popular among rotary car owners, as rotary engines are designed to inject and burn oil, and putting something similar to 2-stroke oil in your gas can help with the lubrication of seals. The problem is that you have to order a huge quantity of this oil for Idemitsu to ship to you. I had to get them from an eBay seller in the States, and the import fee isn't pretty. Is there a minimum quantity you have to order(since you are ordering as a business)?

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 122 Old 05-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Out of Control

Canada doesn't have parts houses?

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
post #50 of 122 Old 05-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
I plan on replacing my PCV valve (after 102,000 miles) but, you know what, it seems to be impossible to find a HONDA DEALER that has one in stock. Had my B14 service performed Monday. While there, I went to the parts desk to get my spark plugs and a PCV valve. The guy said they would need to order the valve. Same thing at the other Honda dealer in town. WTF. Can't even find it in the Honda ePartsStore. Also I'm sure you guys who have looked at that website have noticed the Honda parts drawings are pathetic, quality-wise.
Beck / Arnley or Standard Motor Products off of Amazon is what I always use for the PCV, around $10 ea.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #51 of 122 Old 05-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Canada doesn't have parts houses?
We do, but not a lot locally. I have to pretty much wait a long time for anything to get them shipped here, and the shipping and duties(if the part is from the States) typically cancel out the savings, so...

At least shipping is free at stealerships, and they ship fast.

You will be remembered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #52 of 122 Old 07-10-2017, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear

I'm tired of the oil consumption. It's around 1 quart in 1500 miles. I'm scared to leave marvel mystery oil on the cylinders for so long. What if MMO messes up the cylinders when I start the engine??
post #53 of 122 Old 07-10-2017, 02:35 PM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pindiwalAccord View Post
I'm tired of the oil consumption. It's around 1 quart in 1500 miles. I'm scared to leave marvel mystery oil on the cylinders for so long. What if MMO messes up the cylinders when I start the engine??
Ah yes.....what if? What if indeed.....

Quite the conundrum....

So "Sword of Damocles". So "Catch-22".

So "What if Napoleon had a B-52 at Waterloo?"
pindiwalAccord likes this.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
pindiwalAccord (07-11-2017)
post #54 of 122 Old 07-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Welcome to Drive Accord!
pindiwalAccord likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to qman For This Useful Post:
pindiwalAccord (07-14-2017)
post #55 of 122 Old 07-10-2017, 03:58 PM
2011 LX-S Coupe Automatic

Read the Honda-tec forum same problem. There are many things people tried for oil consumption. What they recommend was to soak the tops of your pistons for 24 hours with marvelous mystery oil. Blow it out. Replace oil using 1 quart of marvelous mystery oil mixed with your normal oil. Do this every time you replace your oil. If you are still burning oil you have to soak the pistons again with marvelous mystery oil. It could take many piston soaking to get the gunk cleaned from the piston oil control rings that are getting gunked up. The piston oil control rings are stuck in the closed position, instead of sprung open ungainst the cylinder wall.
97trophy and pindiwalAccord like this.

2011 HONDA ACCORD LX-S COUPE, 2.4L AUTOMATIC

NOVATO, CA - NORTH BAY AREA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dimitrim For This Useful Post:
KW2004Accord (07-10-2017), pindiwalAccord (07-11-2017)
post #56 of 122 Old 07-10-2017, 05:27 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
So "What if Napoleon had a B-52 at Waterloo?"
He'd be living in his own private Idaho.
RickBlaine likes this.

2008 Coupe V6
post #57 of 122 Old 07-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Out of Control

I use Marvel Mystery Oil every change, 1qt. for the last 5 changes. I have noticed the more miles I drive the smoother the engine is. Member t-rd said it cleans the oil return passages in the cyl. heads that can get gunked up. The first 2 times I used it turned the oil black by 3K miles. I use a 30W oil as it can thin the oil down, will continue to use it every oil change for now. Mechanic said it may clean up the rings some, he knows several people that have been using it for yrs. without a problem.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
The Following User Says Thank You to KW2004Accord For This Useful Post:
post #58 of 122 Old 07-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
I tried this in my POS Corolla. While it didn't solve the issue(still burnt more oil than my current car), it also didn't create any additional issues.

You will be remembered.

The Following User Says Thank You to UnknownJinX For This Useful Post:
post #59 of 122 Old 07-11-2017, 06:35 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
welcome!
(removed by moderator for foul and unnatural language!)

Last edited by RickBlaine; 07-11-2017 at 06:39 AM. Reason: FOUL WORDS
post #60 of 122 Old 07-11-2017, 07:36 AM
2nd Gear

Garage
So it would seem the general consensus is:

MMO might work because uncle bob and everyone he knows has been using it for years and nothings gone wrong, but it sure as heck won't do harm, so give it a shot. And if ur feeling spunky try some Seafoam for the same reasons.

Zmax is in some legal mumbo jumbo where settlements were paid and might or might not be mineral oil that "soaks into metal" but really just fills in the cracks...although Engine Restore is probably a better option, but Zmax still seems to work for some reason on a limited basis for some people.

And above all else, use good quality gas and a good quality oil.

Ben: 2010 Accord EX-L sedan, 2.4L, AT, 122K, Alabaster silver metallic
Bu: 2007 Malibu LS sedan, 3.5L, 154K - wife's daily driver
Howard: 2008 Grand Prix sedan, 3.8L, 138.5K - totaled, owned 8 yrs.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.