VTC Actuator Issue Solved - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-29-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Bone Stock

Garage
Exclamation VTC Actuator Issue Solved

EDIT: Title should say VTC. I did not see the mistake until it was posted, and we cannot go back and correct our titles. Sorry, folks!

As of some time in March of last year Honda issued the long-awaited, oft-promised update to the poorly designed VTC Actuator. If you still have low enough miles to try and get your dealership to piddle with this the info needed is below. If you want to do your own work, like me, the TSB is actually more than a notice. It is a full repair guide, and it is excellent. Grab a copy today. I am never sure how long any given link on the WWW is going to be active. If it disappears I will post a Public link to my Dropbox if you ask me nicely. (Heh, heh...)

Honda came out with a corrected part (finally, after years of waiting). The original part number was 14310-R44-A01 and the replacement (as of some time in March of 2016) is 14310-R5A-305. There is a Honda Service Bulletin that details the repair, and a link has been posted below to the most current version at the time I posted this, which is March 17, 2016.

Genuine Honda VTC Actuator - 14310-R5A-305

This is a link to the seller's eBay store so you can contact them. I bought mine for $138 shipped. It was the last one for that auction. Doubtless more will be posted by them in the future. This link will allow you to contact them. Their prices and Feedback were the best at the time I made my purchase.

Hondabond HT Liquid Silicone Gasket - 08718-0004

Honda Service Bulletin 09-010 - March 17, 2016

I also uploaded the PDF of the TSB directly into this post. Good luck. Do it yourself. Screw the dealerships! HAHAHA!!!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf A09-010.pdf (779.0 KB, 666 views)
08EX-L likes this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Holton345 For This Useful Post:
boring 08 EX (09-20-2017), internalaudit (01-30-2017), Miker (02-05-2017), turtleh (09-28-2017)
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-30-2017, 01:30 AM
4th Gear

Garage
Thanks for uploading all that info into one thread, I am sure may will find this helpful. I am sure I was one of the first to receive the new part, and unfortunately it too will rattle at times. Others that have received the new part have also confirmed this. It is still a huge improvement, for me anyway as the old part would rattle even in the summer. This one only does it below 40 and even then not all the time. Still though I was hoping it would completely resolve the rattle.

post #3 of 19 Old 01-30-2017, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Bone Stock

Garage
Wow! That is disappointing to hear! Oh well, any improvement will be a good thing. Ours makes the noise when it is 100 outside. If we have not started it within a few hours it makes the noise. Anytime. Any climate. I cannot wait to fix this.

I even decided to drop the coin on the Honda specialty tools to set the valve lash before buttoning everything up. (They are listed in the TSB.) I see a use for them in the future, so why not?

I like specialty tools. I own lots of Miller Specialty Tools' stuff for my Jeeps. They helped me tons when re-gearing my axles, etc. I found an aftermarket tool on Amazon that looked like it might be a bit sketchy, despite the high ratings. The factory tool is solid as you can imagine. So I got it. Hope I do not see it in my box in three years and have buyer's remorse.

I think it will be a good purchase, and I am going to keep telling myself that... ;-)

I wonder what is causing the clatter and why, after all this time, they still do not have a 100% fix for it? What a weird problem for Honda. It seems like something you would see in Dodge cars in the 1980s and not an Accord.

post #4 of 19 Old 01-30-2017, 04:37 AM
4th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holton345 View Post
Wow! That is disappointing to hear! Oh well, any improvement will be a good thing. Ours makes the noise when it is 100 outside. If we have not started it within a few hours it makes the noise. Anytime. Any climate. I cannot wait to fix this.

I even decided to drop the coin on the Honda specialty tools to set the valve lash before buttoning everything up. (They are listed in the TSB.) I see a use for them in the future, so why not?

I like specialty tools. I own lots of Miller Specialty Tools' stuff for my Jeeps. They helped me tons when re-gearing my axles, etc. I found an aftermarket tool on Amazon that looked like it might be a bit sketchy, despite the high ratings. The factory tool is solid as you can imagine. So I got it. Hope I do not see it in my box in three years and have buyer's remorse.

I think it will be a good purchase, and I am going to keep telling myself that... ;-)

I wonder what is causing the clatter and why, after all this time, they still do not have a 100% fix for it? What a weird problem for Honda. It seems like something you would see in Dodge cars in the 1980s and not an Accord.
Yes, it absolutely is worth replacing it. Like I said, for me it only rattles below 40 degrees now and even then not every time. A huge improvement over rattling at least 50% of the time in all climates.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 06:13 AM
E.I
1st Gear

Bought my car used I didn't know about this issue then, I have 155k on it now, it does the rattling daily, Is my motor a ticking time bomb? what's the scenarios here? if I don't change it
post #6 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 09:34 AM
2nd Gear

This issue affects A LOT of cars - Accords, CRVs, Civic SIs, TSXs - pretty much anything with the 2.4. The internet is filled with people commenting on the noise. What's notable is the lack of people complaining about engine damage from a failed unit. I only tracked down one account where a VTC failure allegedly led to engine damage, and the circumstances surrounding this suggested that other factors caused the engine damage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MobileChicane00 For This Useful Post:
97trophy (08-19-2017), internalaudit (02-05-2017)
post #7 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Bone Stock

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.I View Post
... Is my motor a ticking time bomb?
I have read many accounts from all the way back when this issue was new (2008 or so) on up to fairly recently that claim official responses (written or verbal) from various Honda sources to state that it cannot harm the engine. I have not read any of these first hand.

I have read ONE claim that I have seen quoted in a number of places that it *could* cause valves to impact piston tops if it allows the chain to slip (or jump?) a tooth. I tend to believe Honda in this case, as I have never read (or seen video) of one of these after failure that led to such damage. That does not mean it has not happened. It is just that most people affected by this problem are probably never going to post here, on YouTube, or anywhere else. I just think it odd that in such a community as this (DA) that NO ONE has had a failure like this, unless Honda is being accurate in saying it is not a "ticking time bomb" as you say.

I do all my own work these days. So, for me, whether it is a possible engine killer doesn't matter. If it is messed up *at all* I will fix it. Problem or not, it bugs the crap out of me. ;-)

As far as which vehicles are concerned, there are MANY. Here is a quote from one of my above links:
Attached Images

Last edited by Holton345; 02-05-2017 at 04:40 PM. Reason: I edit my stuff because I screw up my stuff with alarming regularity.
post #8 of 19 Old 09-20-2017, 06:25 AM
2015 Accord Touring I4

Any news on this if there is a perm fix?

2015 Honda Accord Sedan Touring NAVI I4 CVT White Orchard Pearl
2011 Toyota Venza Premium V6 AWD 6AT Blizzard Pearl
2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
2005 Acura TSX I4 5AT Premium White Pearl (Sold)
2002 Honda Civic Coupe SiG Veloz I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
post #9 of 19 Old 09-20-2017, 07:18 AM
2nd Gear

Garage
I wrote Honda Customer Service a letter about the VTC issue and they paid for half of my bill at my local Honda Dealership, so better than nothing. I do my own auto work as well, but I just don't feel comfortable messing with timing chains; maybe I would if I had a technician supervising me, but aside from that, it's a hard pass from me.

Ben: 2010 Accord EX-L sedan, 2.4L, AT, 121K, Alabaster silver metallic
Bu: 2007 Malibu LS sedan, 3.5L, 152K - wife's daily driver
Howard: 2008 Grand Prix sedan, 3.8L, 138.5K - totaled, owned 8 yrs.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-20-2017, 01:32 PM
pessimistic optimist

I believe that the R5A actuator IS the permanent fix as far as Honda North America is concerned. I had mine done about a year ago and it has rattled exactly ONE time since. Prior to the repair mine would rattle on every single cold start, regardless of temperature. The rattle/grind is caused by the locking pin inside the actuator being in the wrong position at start-up which causes the actuator (attached to the end of the camshaft) to drag until the pin can get itself into the proper position. This small drag on the cam causes the timing chain to lash against the tensioner and guides every single time it happens. Over many repetitions and how ever many thousands of miles this WILL cause the timing chain tensioner to weaken and eventually fail. It is the damage to the tensioner that causes the damage to the engine, not the VTC actuator itself. Can you drive with the rattle, for years and many thousands of miles? Yes Is it a good idea to roll the dice this way? No Honda knows all of this, and what chaps me is that they continue to allow people to spend their own money to fix their engineering snafu.
97trophy likes this.

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals 150K and climbing
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0) TL RSB well worth the wait
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter, 15mm spacers (rear) 35% tint
Future: H&R springs, Koni yellow struts
The Following User Says Thank You to boring 08 EX For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (12-07-2017)
post #11 of 19 Old 09-28-2017, 07:14 AM
1st Gear

Thanks, I was replaced with the old part by Honda Canada after pleading with them. Still had to pay local dealership for labour costs =(

It's been about 3 years hopefully it doesn' happen again.
post #12 of 19 Old 12-06-2017, 04:04 PM
My First Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boring 08 EX View Post
I believe that the R5A actuator IS the permanent fix as far as Honda North America is concerned. I had mine done about a year ago and it has rattled exactly ONE time since. Prior to the repair mine would rattle on every single cold start, regardless of temperature. The rattle/grind is caused by the locking pin inside the actuator being in the wrong position at start-up which causes the actuator (attached to the end of the camshaft) to drag until the pin can get itself into the proper position. This small drag on the cam causes the timing chain to lash against the tensioner and guides every single time it happens. Over many repetitions and how ever many thousands of miles this WILL cause the timing chain tensioner to weaken and eventually fail. It is the damage to the tensioner that causes the damage to the engine, not the VTC actuator itself. Can you drive with the rattle, for years and many thousands of miles? Yes Is it a good idea to roll the dice this way? No Honda knows all of this, and what chaps me is that they continue to allow people to spend their own money to fix their engineering snafu.
Since locking pin in actuator is in wrong position at start up and causes grinding sound, is there a way to shut car down so pin is in the right position.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-07-2017, 11:15 AM
pessimistic optimist

Unfortunately no, there is no way for you, as the driver, to control what that actuator is going to do. The new part number IS an improvement in most cases, as it stops the malfunction from occurring either entirely or reduces the incidence of failure by a large percentage. People early on swore by the "key trick", thinking that oil pressure (or the presence of oil in the top half of the motor) was the solution, but that has largely been proven false.
08EX-L likes this.

Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0) TL RSB well worth the wait
post #14 of 19 Old 12-07-2017, 12:28 PM
5th Gear

If I have extended warranty until end of next year, can I force Honda Canada to replace my VTC actuator? To be honest, I've only heard some grind twice two or three winters ago but my wife drives the car a lot more often and she pays little attention to these noises.

It's a 2011 Accord and I'm pretty sure the newly built actuator wasn't available back then.

2011 Accord Coupe I4 5 A/T
post #15 of 19 Old 12-08-2017, 10:16 AM
pessimistic optimist

If you take it to them they are going to keep it over-night and see if they can "duplicate the malfunction". If it doesn't grind for them, you will probably have a tough row to hoe in getting them to fix it on their dime. If you yell and scream loud enough they may cave in, but I would be ready for a fight.

internalaudit likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to boring 08 EX For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (12-08-2017)
Advertisement

Tags
vtc actuator; cold; start, vtc oil control valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.