Just bought my first Honda.. - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Just bought my first Honda..

Hey guys, just wanted to start off by saying I'm new here... Officially bought my first Honda today and will be receiving it (hopefully) on Wednesday!

I purchased a 2012 Honda Accord Coupe and couldn't be more excited. Always wanted a Honda and always wanted an accord coupe.

I'm new to this forum, so my apologies but I was wondering if anyone can post a link to a part website that's trusted here?

I'm looking to do so much to the car but basics will be first..

JDM emblems (type r, red emblems) for the steering wheel and exterior of the car
and later on I'll be purchasing new tires/rims, a intake and a well as a exhaust or I might just take out my cats and keep the stock exhaust..

Anyways, anything may help! Thank you so much!

Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 05:38 PM
4th Gear

Garage
Welcome to the family! I am a long time Accord lover, as a kid I always admired the Accord (6th generation at the time) and wanted one with leather and a sunroof. My first car was a 1995 Accord EX with the 2.7 V6, loved that car to death and still miss it. That car was replaced by a 2006 Accord LX that I got at 97K and took to 140K over a 4 year period, also a great car. At that point I was in a place that I could afford a newer car with lower miles so I picked up the 2012 Accord EX-L. All have been great and have that special Honda feel to them. I'd love to get a 2017 Touring before Honda axes the V6 but I don't have the money and even if I did it would not be a smart financial move. I'd like to keep my current Accord for the next 8-10 years or more, that should put me around the 150K mile mark. Stay on top of maintenance and it should serve you well for years to come.

What trim level and drive train do you have? Feel free to post up some pictures also. I like Bernardi Parts for OEM purchases, but I'm not very knowledgeable as far as modding goes. Well kept stock cars are typically more appealing to me. Again, welcome to Drive Accord and welcome to the Honda family, your going to love it!

bodmon likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Hey man! Thanks so much for the warm welcome! Damn, that's a lot of accords, you must know your stuff!
My brother got me into Accords, ever since I saw his when I was 10.. The lowered suspension, 5 spoke white rims, carbon fiber hood, catback exhaust.. I fell in love.

This is my new Honda, literally ripped off the dealers website. Take a look!

Let me know what you think, I can still back out! I sign the papers wednesday! haha

post #4 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 06:33 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Nice choice bud! 8th Gen Coupes are very fine cars. Welcome!

One advice with modding: don't get too excited. You will end up spending a lot of money. Remember, mods are useless if you don't tune your engine properly. Even a tune with bone stock engine setup can do wonders if you tune it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24 View Post
I am a long time Accord lover, as a kid I always admired the Accord (6th generation at the time) and wanted one with leather and a sunroof.
I like 6th Gen Coupes a lot, strangely. There are still a lot of 6th Gen Sedans on the road nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodmon View Post
Hey man! Thanks so much for the warm welcome! Damn, that's a lot of accords, you must know your stuff!
My brother got me into Accords, ever since I saw his when I was 10.. The lowered suspension, 5 spoke white rims, carbon fiber hood, catback exhaust.. I fell in love.

Let me know what you think, I can still back out! I sign the papers wednesday! haha
I see now. So EX-L I4 w/Navi 5AT it is.

One thing I am jealous of other Canadian provinces is that used cars are a lot cheaper there. I saw a white 2012 Accord Coupe a couple of days ago. It's the same trim w/Navi, but with a V6, a 6-speed standard transmission, and 60k km on the clock. They were asking for near CAN$20k for it. 4 grand seems like too big of a difference. IMO, that car would probably sell 2 grand cheaper in Ontario.

Again, research before you spend your money. There is a fine difference between modding and ricing out your car. Don't do the latter. IMO, tuned sleepers are the best.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Hey brother, thanks a lot man. Means a lot. Awesome you're in B.C.! I was just there 3 weeks ago haha.

That's my car there, it is the i4.. I settled for it because to be honest I'm not going to speed, never have.. Never will.
I truly wanted the v6 just because of the DEEEEEP rumble the exhausts can produce..
I heard a magnaflow can produce that for me on the i4 but I haven't seen any youtube videos yet.. What do you think? Any idea?
post #6 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 06:48 PM
4th Gear

Garage
Quote:

That looks very clean! I love the styling on the coupes also. There are some things you should know if you don't already. This generation of K24's had some oil burning issues as well as VTC actuator issues. The oil burning issues mainly affected 2008-2010 model years, but I have seen an updated report from Honda adding the 2011 model year to the extended warranty. Honda claims the issue is caused by running low quality fuel and driving at high RPM's / running engine hard during warm up (before your engine gets up to operating temp). The VTC actuator issue affects 2008-2012 Accords with the K24 (4 cylinder). If yours is bad you will hear it rattle on start up after the car sits for a while, usually overnight and in cold conditions. It's not a death sentence, but some have reported stretched timing chains and bad timing chain tensioners are a result. I had mine replaced under warranty with the new updated part from Honda, but if it is around or under 40 degrees I have heard it rattle also. Anyways, just a few things to consider. As clean as that car looks the previous owner(s) probably took good care of it maintenance wise. Ask for maintenance records for peace of mind. Again, these are great cars and the drivetrain you have in yours is pretty solid. That 5 speed auto has been around since 2003 so Honda has had plenty of time to iron out issues.

2012 Honda Accord EX-L "Jazmine"
45K miles
PPPP 0w20 / Fram Ultra
The Following User Says Thank You to greg24 For This Useful Post:
ClutchHutch (01-24-2017)
post #7 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I'll check for that on wednesday... And if it does rattle, whats average cost of repair?

Thanks so much for the reply Derek! Glad to hear yours is doing so well, feels like I made a right choice!
post #8 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 07:26 PM
3rd Gear

Congratulations on your new (to you) car! I bought my 2012 coupe (EX-L V6 5AT) in May of 2015, and I really enjoy driving it. In 20 months, I've driven it about 33,000 miles, and I've been to 15 states. I live in NJ, and I've taken it as far north as New Hampshire, to a wedding in Wisconsin, the Honda Heritage Center in Ohio, Gettysburg National Battlefield, to see wild horses in Virginia, and lots of other cool places in between. It's been through days where the temperatures have reached 110 degree Fahrenheit, snowstorms (a good set of Nokian winter tires make this thing into a tank in the snow), tunnels under mountains, and lots of highway miles. Through it all, the gas mileage has been terrific, the car is in great shape, and aside from routine maintenance, the only expense was a new rim when a pothole on the freeway bent one of my wheels out of round, past the point of repair (sigh). I have no complaints (well, ok, I have some minor complaints, but they are few and far between).

I second what JinX said about modding vs. ricing- so much truth here. Spend your time carefully evaluating where you want your money to go. If you want an exhaust, ok... but if you go crazy hacking stuff off your exhaust system (guys that go,"OMG! I DELETED all my exhaust. SO awesome rasp! zOMG! NOM NOM NOM") you're going to have quite a droning racket, especially at highway speed. If you want to go performance, be mindful of how you build it. It's easy to bolt on "go faster" parts, but honestly, much of that stuff accomplishes very little. Start with a clear goal of what you want to do, and build from there. And as JinX also says, a good tune is a great place to begin.

Good luck! You'll find tons of advice on this board, and the search feature is going to be your best friend.

2012 Accord EX-L V6 coupe, polished metal metallic.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 07:43 PM
4th Gear

Garage
Quote:
I'll check for that on wednesday... And if it does rattle, whats average cost of repair?
I think most dealers charge around $550 here in the US.

2012 Honda Accord EX-L "Jazmine"
45K miles
PPPP 0w20 / Fram Ultra
post #10 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,004 Times in 758 Posts
Quote:
I'm looking to do so much to the car but basics will be first..
Yes, basics first! That means all fluids and oil changed, then any other maintenance it needs. Unless you have documents proving everything was done, plan on doing it all BEFORE you spend on dime on even the cheapest of mods. Yes, mods include interior LEDs as RickBlaine so frequently points out.

Congrats on the new car. Post up pics with your gf/wife/sister/mother standing next to the car and holding up a sign that says "Hey fellas! Check out bodmon's first Honda."
slimm1469 likes this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 09:39 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Hey brother, thanks a lot man. Means a lot. Awesome you're in B.C.! I was just there 3 weeks ago haha.

That's my car there, it is the i4.. I settled for it because to be honest I'm not going to speed, never have.. Never will.
I truly wanted the v6 just because of the DEEEEEP rumble the exhausts can produce..
I heard a magnaflow can produce that for me on the i4 but I haven't seen any youtube videos yet.. What do you think? Any idea?
Did you enjoy the rain? Must be nice to have rain instead of the nasty white stuff.

The 8th Gen V6 pulls pretty hard and sounds great. One small regret I have is that my car has the automatic transmission. I recently started taking driving lessons for standard, and I actually enjoyed it. 8th Gen V6 with the 6-speed standard(we call them 6/6 here) goes even faster than the V6 with the automatic. That said, automatic transmissions on Accords had issues in the past, but anything beyond late 2005 is good and reliable. The one in your car will serve you well.

Aftermarket exhausts are expensive, and you could end up with a very terrible sound(something like a fartcan) if you buy the wrong thing, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend them. If you just want a different sound, you could go with a CAI(cold air intake) or SRI(short ram intake).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekWildstar View Post
Congratulations on your new (to you) car! I bought my 2012 coupe (EX-L V6 5AT) in May of 2015, and I really enjoy driving it. In 20 months, I've driven it about 33,000 miles, and I've been to 15 states. I live in NJ, and I've taken it as far north as New Hampshire, to a wedding in Wisconsin, the Honda Heritage Center in Ohio, Gettysburg National Battlefield, to see wild horses in Virginia, and lots of other cool places in between. It's been through days where the temperatures have reached 110 degree Fahrenheit, snowstorms (a good set of Nokian winter tires make this thing into a tank in the snow), tunnels under mountains, and lots of highway miles. Through it all, the gas mileage has been terrific, the car is in great shape, and aside from routine maintenance, the only expense was a new rim when a pothole on the freeway bent one of my wheels out of round, past the point of repair (sigh). I have no complaints (well, ok, I have some minor complaints, but they are few and far between).

I second what JinX said about modding vs. ricing- so much truth here. Spend your time carefully evaluating where you want your money to go. If you want an exhaust, ok... but if you go crazy hacking stuff off your exhaust system (guys that go,"OMG! I DELETED all my exhaust. SO awesome rasp! zOMG! NOM NOM NOM") you're going to have quite a droning racket, especially at highway speed. If you want to go performance, be mindful of how you build it. It's easy to bolt on "go faster" parts, but honestly, much of that stuff accomplishes very little. Start with a clear goal of what you want to do, and build from there. And as JinX also says, a good tune is a great place to begin.

Good luck! You'll find tons of advice on this board, and the search feature is going to be your best friend.
Your car is essentially his car's style(8.5th Gen) + my car's powertrain. Nice.

Gas mileage wise, V6s do really well on highways, but with my more aggressive driving style in the city, the gas mileage isn't that good in city driving. I4s having better gas mileage in the city, but I heard V6s are more fitted for highway driving than I4s in general.

I feel your pain on the bent rims. Had a bent rim that was, fortunately, fixable, and that cost me CAN$200. There is a big street with an insane amount of potholes around here. Really trying to avoid driving on that street now. Stuff like this makes me wonder where the 7% provincial tax(2nd highest in Canada) went.

And totally agree with your input on the mods and upgrades.

Finally to OP: like jimjam said, check all the fluids before delivery.

Oil level should be at the top hole(check it when the car is cold) and shouldn't look black. The dipstick is at the top of the engine with an orange handle on it.

Automatic transmission fluid should be a pinkish-red colour and the level should also be at the top hole when the transmission is fully warmed up. If it's brown, it needs to be changed. The dipstick has a yellow loop on it.

Power steering fluid is stored at a little white reservoir with a red cap on the passenger side under the hood. Shine a flashlight into it, and make sure the colour isn't too dark.

You will be remembered.

post #12 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Bought a new Honda, but I'm confused..

Rookie mistake.. But quick rundown, I pick my car up tomorrow and was just on the dealers site and noticed they indicated my car comes with "Illuminated entry"..
The pictures, I can't really tell and unfortunately I didn't pay close enough attention to that when I was there..
This is what the illuminated entry on a Accord is, right?

This is the page/specs of my car as posted by the dealer. Let me know what you guys think?

post #13 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 12:25 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Rookie mistake.. But quick rundown, I pick my car up tomorrow and was just on the dealers site and noticed they indicated my car comes with "Illuminated entry"..
The pictures, I can't really tell and unfortunately I didn't pay close enough attention to that when I was there..
This is what the illuminated entry on a Accord is, right?

This is the page/specs of my car as posted by the dealer. Let me know what you guys think?

That is a minor modification to the car. There is an OEM mod like this, as well as aftermarket ones. That isn't a huge issue. It doesn't draw too much power anyways.

(Yeah, I wrote this on my phone. Wow.)

You will be remembered.

post #14 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 09:03 PM
Yea I modded my car again

From what I've read that illuminated door still is only available for the sedans, so I dunno how it comes with that.

My guess is they meant the car comes with the illuminated footwell lights which is a factory mod/addition ( which I had to pounce on ) and theres a switch as well beside the vsa

08 EX-L V6/6
Performance : Dyno Tuned Ktuner, Fastline ss clutch line & powerlinks, P2R gaskets, Clutchmasters flywheel and clutch, XLR8 ss brake lines, Progress 22mm rsb, HSD coilovers, Blox 15mm rear spacers,
Power : RV6 hfpc, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Takeda SRI, Unorthodox pulley, P2R pnp runners, Magnaflow cbe, tl sh awd tb, j37 manifold
post #15 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 09:49 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 v6/6 View Post
My guess is they meant the car comes with the illuminated footwell lights which is a factory mod/addition ( which I had to pounce on ) and theres a switch as well beside the vsa
That's a different mod though. I have the footwell lights installed on my car. Easy DIY for V6s, I4s have a different procedure and the installation is slightly more difficult. They are expensive and there are only 2 left in Canada(they are imported from Japan, and there were only 3 left in Canada when I checked with the parts guy at the dealership before I bought one). The ones that come with OP's cars are door sill lights.

(Yeah, I wrote this on my phone. Wow.)

You will be remembered.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.