Time for a new torque converter - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Cell Phone Doc

Angry Time for a new torque converter

Finally got tired of the surging feeling during/after shifts. Took it in couple days ago and they (Honda dealership) were finally able to capture it on their data logger.
Sent the data to Honda, and they advised the dealership to install a new torque converter.

This does not bode well.

TurboDave
EWCS(SW) USN (ret.) (1965-1988)
Sevierville, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Lincoln MKT, EcoBoost twin turbo 3.5V6, Crystal Champagne Metallic
86 Buick Grand National (for go)
87 Buick Grand National (for show)
01 Ford Excursion 7.3PSD (for tow)
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to Sylv Send a message via MSN to Sylv
whoah whoah whoah

How many miles did this happen? And do you "Granny" the car? Or pedal to the medal? (Or a bit of both ? )

post #3 of 42 Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Car Customizer/Consultant

That sux. At least its free. Honda 5AT transmissions have never been great.

2009 CBP Honda Accord V6 6 Speed

Current mods
Black Injen CAI, RV6 Long Tube Jpipe, RV6 PCDs, Mirror Black 18" Aspec Wheels, HFP Sport Suspension, 6000K HID Kit, 35% Tint, Driver Mod, 282whp 260wtq

post #4 of 42 Old 01-26-2010, 11:42 AM
3rd Gear

thank god for warranty is all i would be saying. What are your driving conditions and style of driving like?
post #5 of 42 Old 01-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylv View Post
... do you "Granny" the car? Or pedal to the med[t]al? (Or a bit of both ? )
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedetailguyz View Post
... style of driving like?
With an user-name like "turbodave" & his rides mentioned in his sig', do you really have to ask?!?

(all-in-humor!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L's TLS View Post
Honda 5AT transmissions have never been great.
Namely V6 5spd. A.T.'s. I don't think I4 5spd. A.T.'s have ever presented any notable issues w/ past/current models across the Honda/Acura range.
post #6 of 42 Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Cell Phone Doc

Actually I do "granny drive" this car. My overall fuel mileage (hand calculated) for the last two years speaks volumes. In 2008 the overall average was 26.2xx. In 2009 the overall average was also 26.2xx. All that with very little pure highway miles.

I've had this symptom for quite some time but just finally got tired of it.

TurboDave
Sevierville, TN

---

post #7 of 42 Old 01-27-2010, 11:18 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodave View Post
I've had this symptom for quite some time but just finally got tired of it.
Did the symptoms get progressively worse? Problem with mine is that its so seldom, and under strict conditions, that I can get the issue to replicate. Usually only happens in the mornings, cold start, and doesn't last long. If I drive around for a few minutes, I cannot get the issue to repeat.

Only noticed when I go up a slight incline and give very little throttle. Does that sound the same as yours?

If you think yours got worse, then I can wait and have something I'm comfortable complaining about (that they will actually see/catch).

Mike

2008 Honda Accord V6 AT W/Nav
post #8 of 42 Old 01-27-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Cell Phone Doc

I honestly don't remember if it just showed up, or got progressively worse over time. It's been bugging me so long I just got fed up and took it in.
Probably been doing it for better than a year, and really didn't get worse as time went on.
They claim the new torque converter will resolve the issue. Apperently they had another one in a couple weeks ago with the same issue and did a torque converter replacement on it. We'll see.
They're also going to try and reprogramm the shift logic in the pcm to cure the lazy/confused/flaring shifts.

TurboDave
Sevierville, TN

---

post #9 of 42 Old 01-28-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Cell Phone Doc

ust got mine back a few minutes ago and it now feels silky smooth, as I expect a Honda should be.

They replaced the torque converter.

And reflashed the PCM. Not sure why the work order reads this way but here's what it says.

1255A2 ECM/PCM - reprogram. S/B# 05-019 S/B# 05-037 S/B# 07-017 S/B# 07-051 S/B# 07-057 S/B# 08-061.

Does that mean it got reflashed to all those service bulletins or just reflashed and all those numbers pertain to tranny issues?

TurboDave
Sevierville, TN

---

post #10 of 42 Old 01-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodave View Post
ust got mine back a few minutes ago and it now feels silky smooth, as I expect a Honda should be.

They replaced the torque converter.

And reflashed the PCM. Not sure why the work order reads this way but here's what it says.

1255A2 ECM/PCM - reprogram. S/B# 05-019 S/B# 05-037 S/B# 07-017 S/B# 07-051 S/B# 07-057 S/B# 08-061.

Does that mean it got reflashed to all those service bulletins or just reflashed and all those numbers pertain to tranny issues?
Can't really answer that but from what I understand once HDS tool is hooked up they can only flash with newest firmware, they can't pick fixes .
I would guess those are all TSB fixes that the latest firmware covers .

Ed

2008 Accord LX, Alabaster Silver Metallic
gone 1985 XR4Ti
gone 1974 Opel Manta rally
post #11 of 42 Old 01-28-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Cell Phone Doc

Sounds totally logical. Thanks.

TurboDave
Sevierville, TN

---

post #12 of 42 Old 01-28-2010, 03:34 PM
VTAKKKK

Send a message via AIM to CYANiDE
I don't have an 8th, but now I'm thinking of taking my car in and getting it checked out. I just don't want them to say its normal and charge me $110.

2006 Accord EX i4 Sedan - 5AT - Graphite Pearl - [89,0xx miles]
FF Type II Coilovers || Skunk2 Front Camber Arms || Ingalls Rear Camber Kit || Acura TL-S 27mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars || K&N SRI
post #13 of 42 Old 01-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Top Gear

Send a message via AIM to 09RXSP Send a message via Skype™ to 09RXSP
I'm glad I ran into this thread. I am excatly having those shuddering problems. I thought it was due to VCM operation. However, it is getting quite annoying.

I was going to bring it in the next oil change, but I just scheduled an appt. with the dealership to address it today (at least take a look at it).

Any specific issues/bulletins that I should bring up when I am discussing it with them today?

How long did it take to change the Torque Converter?
All answers are appreciated, thanks in advance!

2009 Honda Accord Coupe V6 EX-L W/Navi Auto
2007 Kawasaki Ninja zx6r
2000 Mazda Protege LX (gave to my brother)
2008 Toyota Sienna
2006 Toyota Highlander
1996 Toyota Corrolla
1983 Toyota Corrolla
I don't know why we have so many cars??
post #14 of 42 Old 01-29-2010, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Cell Phone Doc

They'll just have to be able to duplicate the issue with their computer hooked up to the car. I had to leave mine so it could get cold, that's when the problem was the worst.

The car was in the shop a total of 3 days. Ordered the part in the afternoon of day one, it arrived the next day, and I got the car back about 4PM day 3.

Now it shifts and drives as I expect a Honda should.

Fortunately my dealership had seen this problem before and new just what to do.

TurboDave
Sevierville, TN

---

post #15 of 42 Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Top Gear

Send a message via AIM to 09RXSP Send a message via Skype™ to 09RXSP
Thanks for the info. I hope my dealer does not play me around. I'm in no mood for that.
I'll keep you guys up to date with any progress. My appt is at 5pm tonight.

2009 Honda Accord Coupe V6 EX-L W/Navi Auto
2007 Kawasaki Ninja zx6r
2000 Mazda Protege LX (gave to my brother)
2008 Toyota Sienna
2006 Toyota Highlander
1996 Toyota Corrolla
1983 Toyota Corrolla
I don't know why we have so many cars??
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.