Can you compare V6 coupe with BMW 328? - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 170 Old 12-26-2009, 09:46 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRMed View Post
I haven't driven a 335, but I also believe it must be a real treat to drive that car.
Not as much as a treat as the 135i. Quite a few guys here have traded their 335i for the 135i. The 135i is closer to the old M3 than the 335i is.

2010 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6MT

The Old One
2006 Accord Coupe V6 6speed, HFP Aero Kit, HFP Suspension, OEM Fogs, OEM Ventvisor, OEM Electrochromatic Mirror, OEM BodySide Mouldings, Ultimate Pedals, AEM V2, Borla Catback,TL 20mm Rear Sway Bar, TL Engine Cover, TL LSD, Comtech Short Shifter, USA Spec IPOD Adapter, Seibon Carbon Fibre OEM Hood, 18x8 Enkei RPM2. 235/40/18 Falken RT-615,
Advertisement

post #17 of 170 Old 12-26-2009, 11:31 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRMed View Post
Yes. My philosophy is that if you are going to enter the near luxury/luxury market, do it the right way, get a car that's worth the money. IMO, a BMW is supposed to have an upscale interior, well bolstered seats, provide the feeling of road connectivity and an engine that produces ample power. All those things should be part of the same package and once again, in my opinion, it shouldn't be packaged in any other way.

My only experience with BMW has been with a 325i. I remember driving it and I wasn't really impressed. I always assumed that the 330i or the 335i would have more substance, kind of like the 6 speed accord runs circles around all the other accords because it is, in a certain sense the complete package: nice/modestly upscale interior, provides the feeling of being connected to the road (not as much as a BMW, but more so then a toyota), and it has ample power.
Honestly BMW just doesnt design cars for you and you alone. I have driven both and the BMW is not that far from the Accord and it is even closer the the TL

07 Accord EX-L V6 6spd(TSB)
Night Hawk Black
25% Tint all round
2 Door
USA-SPEC PA15 HON2
post #18 of 170 Old 12-26-2009, 12:04 PM
08 Accord = Love hurts ;)

Slightly off topic, but I browsed Acura's website yesterday and looked at all of the info offered there for the TSX, TL and RL...... Honestly, I was really impressed.... Acura makes some sexy cars! and truly equips them nicely with refinement and technology....... I was really surprised to learn that they are the only luxury maker whose entire line was 5 star crash test rated for all of the tests......

As mentioned elsewhere in other threads, I def agree that the TLs before the current re-design look much better than the current design...... Nonetheless, I was more carried away by the RL.... that thing is a beast! and it looks so classy as well..... The only thing that really disappointed me about the RL was that there is no MT available!!! I would def love to have the AWD - especially as advanced a system that Acura offers..... I really have to say that that was the first time I looked closely at what Acura had to offer compared to BMW, Benz, etc.... Now it isn't so hard for me to "ignore" Acura and go straight to BMW or Benz when the time comes..... So, if I am ever high-rollin' enough, I would likely get the TL SH-AWD with MT!

08 Accord LX-P AT RBP

post #19 of 170 Old 12-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset w/ Honda View Post
Nonetheless, I was more carried away by the RL.... that thing is a beast! and it looks so classy as well..... The only thing that really disappointed me about the RL was that there is no MT available!!!
There is no way the RL will ever have MT option, it's the same class as the Lexus LS430 or the Infiniti M35/45, people who buy these level of cars don't care to shift themselves.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 170 Old 12-26-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman196 View Post
+1 you can compare what ever you want.
I guess my brother is a poser for having a cheap rear wheel luxury car.
I agree! You can compare whatever you want. Lexus doesn't want you to compare the ES to the V6 Camry, Acura doesn't want you to compare the TL to the V6 Accord, and BMW doesn't want you to compare the 328 to the V6Accord.

What bothers me is that many consumers fall for the notion that a BMW must be better than any Honda. I know that BMW makes good cars, and I'd rather have a 335i over a V6 accord, but don't for practical considerations. I also enjoyed driving the stick shift 328 but found the auto 328 to be rather boring.

However, I also had a blast test driving the MT V6 Accord coupe - probably more fun than the MT 328. But due to the fact wifey doesn't drive stick and doesn't want to ride in a MT car (due to the jerkiness when shifting gears), I settled for the auto accord.

2010 Accord coupe EX-L Navi
V6 Auto
White
post #21 of 170 Old 12-26-2009, 07:45 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
yeah they are similar but the bmw is a better car.. But it's deffinatly not worth the extra 10 grand.. the accord V6 is the best bang for your buck car on the road IMO.. And the good thing is, i dont see very much coupes where i live and i have yet to even seen a modded up one besides tints.. BMW's are everywhere and everyone knows what they are.. But with a modded up accord people will turn their heads and wonder what kind of car it is and thats always the best feeling.
"Better" is a subjective term.

BMW and Honda have been two of my favorite nameplates for years, but for different reasons. Both have built some beautiful, highly respected vehicles in their histories, though both are currently building some of (IMHO) the ugliest cars on the road. Both have got some bizarre ideas about interior ergonomics, Honda with more buttons than the helm of the Starship Enterprise and BMW with the iDrive system that every car magazine has slammed as overly complicated. They've also both built a reputation for strong, smooth engines in small packages, and great transmissions, especially their manuals.

Now BMW does put together some expensive-feeling vehicles with nice, upscale materials, and they've got the advantage of rear-wheel drive, something Honda seems to be allergic to, not counting the S2000 (FWD is good to have in smaller cars like the Civic, but it's more of a burden than a benefit in a heavy car like an Accord). But Hondas are also put together quite nicely, as well, at least for their price range, and their reliability numbers are much, much stronger than BMWs (what good is "the ultimate driving machine" if it's in the shop?).

If I had the money for a 335i or an M3, I might be tempted. But if all I can afford is a 328i, honestly, I think I'd rather spend the money on a TSX. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, I really think I'd enjoy the Acura more than a similarly priced Bimmer.

Proud owner of a 2007 Honda Accord coupe V6/6MT with navi
Nighthawk black pearl/Ebony leather
Wing spoiler
Fog lights
Parrot bluetooth kit
Sport pedals
VentureShield hood protectant
post #22 of 170 Old 12-26-2009, 10:48 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolefan32 View Post
"Better" is a subjective term.

BMW and Honda have been two of my favorite nameplates for years, but for different reasons. Both have built some beautiful, highly respected vehicles in their histories, though both are currently building some of (IMHO) the ugliest cars on the road. Both have got some bizarre ideas about interior ergonomics, Honda with more buttons than the helm of the Starship Enterprise and BMW with the iDrive system that every car magazine has slammed as overly complicated. They've also both built a reputation for strong, smooth engines in small packages, and great transmissions, especially their manuals.

Now BMW does put together some expensive-feeling vehicles with nice, upscale materials, and they've got the advantage of rear-wheel drive, something Honda seems to be allergic to, not counting the S2000 (FWD is good to have in smaller cars like the Civic, but it's more of a burden than a benefit in a heavy car like an Accord). But Hondas are also put together quite nicely, as well, at least for their price range, and their reliability numbers are much, much stronger than BMWs (what good is "the ultimate driving machine" if it's in the shop?).

If I had the money for a 335i or an M3, I might be tempted. But if all I can afford is a 328i, honestly, I think I'd rather spend the money on a TSX. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, I really think I'd enjoy the Acura more than a similarly priced Bimmer.
Great post! This is my 2nd Accord, and my family's 3rd. Our 2nd, 6th gen, had absolutely zero problems except for scheduled maintenance until about 74k miles when the A/C went bad (the point where we sold it).
Apart from one scheduled maintenance, I brought in my 328i once and was given another 328i as a loaner for 24hours - such service seems more dealer-specific as not every dealer is going to be that courteous (my dad got a 528i loaner for a week or so, when his 3 was in).

I don't have any statistics handy, but one problem I am aware of (once again, I'm not sure what percentage this affects) is that the 335i (the N54 turbo engine) has a HPFP (highpressure fuel pump) issue, where it'll fail and the car goes into "limp mode." BMW has added a 100,000 mile (if I'm correct) warranty that will replace the pump; still, you need to take your car to the dealer.
The new high-end drivetrain in the 2012 3-series will feature a twin-scroll single turbo; which I can only assume alleviates the problem of the current twin-turbo - just a guess
I read about it a lot on bimmerfest forums, but the people on that site are a biased group (just like we at DA.net are), and not necessarily representative of all BMW drivers. So, I have no percentages/statistics

The old iDrive was a bit of a pain as many car mags have noted, the new iDrive is a marked improvement, but many people still complain. Reading other forum posts and messing with the old iDrive in a 528i, I don't think either system requires a graduate degree in engineering to use properly - just sit down with the machine for a while and tinker; that's how I learn all my electronics, tinker with it.

Between the 328i and the TSX, I'd still take the 328i. The TSX at it's lightest is 3400lb's (4-cyl MT), 3664lb on the V6; 3362lb on the BMW (I6, 6sp MT). The TSX is down 29hp and 28lb-ft of torque, the BMW reaches peak torque at a lower RPM too - BUT, the V6 has more hp/tq than the BMW (with a heavier car and FWD, I don't know how that plays out). The TSX is nearly 60/40% biased, probably because of FWD, whereas the BMW is near 50/50.
Car mag articles (and we all know how those are) tend to give praise to BMW's "road feel," and comparing my LX-S to the 3, it's definitely not the same (totally different cars I know), so I'm guessing the TSX's isn't that much closer to BMW.

I'm NOT bashing the TSX! Compared to the current-gen TL and previos-gen TSX, I really do like the TSX; it looks phenomenal (unlike the new TL, ew ew ew).
But, like nolefan32 said, you want the most enjoyment out of your car, and if that's car A, who cares how the numbers on paper compare to car B?
I know I sound like a total BMW-fanboy drinking the Kool-Aid, but I'm trying to be objective and only sprinkle my posts with subjective-opinions.

'09 Coupe LX-S - San Marino Red
Debadged
RetroSolutions 55W 4300K HID
35% Front / 18% Rear SunTek Carbon Series
post #23 of 170 Old 12-27-2009, 01:12 AM
1st Gear

Depends on which 328i you got.

The base E9x without sports package are only so so in terms of handling dynamic. Probably on par with more sportier Accord V6 manual coupe.

With sports package, the 328i handles pretty decent. Although too heavy and felt to big for my taste. But it will out handle the accord with ease.

Personally I actually don't like the E9X series other than the M3 (even in M3 form- which my wife has one now). I still feel that the new M3 has lost a step in agility as compare to E46 M3. The car is too mature.

That is why i went with a 135i with M sports package and manual. Much more fun to toss around.

As far as the original topic. Having driven the new accord coupe before, the car is not a 3 series good. Close when compare to low end 328k with base suspension. Given the choice, i will still take the 328i over accord. Honda quality and busy interior to me is suspect.
post #24 of 170 Old 12-27-2009, 01:20 AM
6th Gear

Honestly some people are willing to pay that few grand more just to not get that star ship enterprise dash in the accord, or the funky steering wheel. Maybe the that was one of the cheapest rear wheel drive luxury cars. My brother has a 3 series and has it just for the weekend because he drives the company truck. He bought this car because it was cheap came in the funky a$$ color combo he wanted and he has always wanted one since he was a kid (along with a viper).

07 Accord EX-L V6 6spd(TSB)
Night Hawk Black
25% Tint all round
2 Door
USA-SPEC PA15 HON2
post #25 of 170 Old 12-27-2009, 08:33 AM
suchi

i dont care about the performance more so about the body style and regardless if its a 328, the 3 series body design blows the Accord out of the water. At certain angles, the new 8th generation looks fugly but the 3 series looks sexy at every possible angle

한자 Proud to be a KOREAN
post #26 of 170 Old 12-27-2009, 09:30 AM
3rd Gear

thats that "flame surfacing" in action

2008 EX-L V6 Accord Coupe w/ 6MT
post #27 of 170 Old 12-27-2009, 11:29 AM
5th Gear

I don;t care for the straight lines if the BMW interior or the Leatherette vinyl "expensive materials my ass". I see the BMW 3 series as an overpriced Honda Accord for people who must wear their "perceived success" on their sleeve and will pay handsomely for the privilege and "adoration" from those who don;t know any better and whose "value system" is highly suspect. I do not see $12K in the car over the Honda and it doesn't ride worth a crap. Very hard. Every extra is ala cart. BMW is a LEASE car not a purchase. You don't want to own a BMW out of MANUFACTURER Warranty.

Unless you just have to be "seen" in a BMW for whatever self aggrandizing reasons, I would pass or get the far better, faster, quieter, bang for the buck lower on the ostentatious rung Infiniti G37 instead.

2010 Honda Accord Coupe V6 EX-L AT BLK/BLK SOLD
Wheel Locks
Splash guards
Wind deflector (gone)
Mats
Tint 35% Formula One Pinnacle
Title
Purchased 10/09 $27,500 OTD
-------------------------------
Garmin 855 GPS w/ remote voice Activation on wheel.
iTouch w/ remote on wheel
Zaino once a year

"Modless"
post #28 of 170 Old 12-27-2009, 11:30 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravohalo View Post
i dont care about the performance more so about the body style and regardless if its a 328, the 3 series body design blows the Accord out of the water. At certain angles, the new 8th generation looks fugly but the 3 series looks sexy at every possible angle

Not even close...Accord wins...BMW looks like every other car....It does not LOOK like a "BMW" It could be mistaken for a Mazda or a lot of cars
No car has the lines of the Accord Coupe from any angle. and from the front, Not even the Sedan!!

To think the BMW looks "sexier" or "BMWish" reeks of someone with "Beemer envy" I would say buy one and get it out of your system. You WILL get it out of your system.

As an aside describing a car as "sexy" is curious to me... I do not get the slighest tingle in the nether region looking at ANY car.........I cannot equate a car to a woman on ANY level. But perhaps some had big car posters in their bedrooms growing up while others had real women pin ups.

2010 Honda Accord Coupe V6 EX-L AT BLK/BLK SOLD
Wheel Locks
Splash guards
Wind deflector (gone)
Mats
Tint 35% Formula One Pinnacle
Title
Purchased 10/09 $27,500 OTD
-------------------------------
Garmin 855 GPS w/ remote voice Activation on wheel.
iTouch w/ remote on wheel
Zaino once a year

"Modless"
post #29 of 170 Old 12-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Retired from Car Biz....

I was waiting for this thread to become a "BMW is a yuppie car bought by people who want the status..."...it was just a matter of time....it always turns this way....

What crap - the BMW is a better car in all repsects - paint, engine and suspension -

but it better be, for what you pay.......

why compare them? they are not on the same price ladder....

My DD:'16 Camaro
post #30 of 170 Old 12-27-2009, 12:20 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
I was waiting for this thread to become a "BMW is a yuppie car bought by people who want the status..."...it was just a matter of time....it always turns this way....

What crap - the BMW is a better car in all repsects - paint, engine and suspension -

but it better be, for what you pay.......

why compare them? they are not on the same price ladder....
I'll give you in most respects, the BMW wins, but not all respects. Read Consumer Reports' reviews of Honda cars vs BMWs; BMW doesn't have nearly the strength of reliability ratings that the Honda does. Not even close. And while Honda does trail the BMW in pretty much every other way, they aren't as far behind in those areas as one might think, especially given the price difference. Maybe reliability doesn't matter to you, but it does to me - I buy a car because I want to drive it, not so that I can keep a mechanic gainfully employed, and like I said in my previous post, what good is "the ultimate driving machine" when it's in the shop? I also don't care about BMWs warranty covering the repairs - even when a repair is fully covered, you have to give up your car for them to do the repairs, and I'd rather not if I didn't have to.

FYI, when I said in my previous post about enjoying the Acura TSX more than the BMW, I meant based on the law of averages - I'd enjoy the TSX almost as much as the BMW, but a lot more often.

Proud owner of a 2007 Honda Accord coupe V6/6MT with navi
Nighthawk black pearl/Ebony leather
Wing spoiler
Fog lights
Parrot bluetooth kit
Sport pedals
VentureShield hood protectant
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.