Air bubbles in Power Steering Reservoir - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
  • 1 Post By RickBlaine
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-13-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Unhappy Air bubbles in Power Steering Reservoir

Hello,

I have an 8th Gen 4 Door EX-L automatic with about 90k miles on it.

Searched the forum for power steering issues and I found the o-ring fix for the 7th gen, but not the 8th gen.

I cannot see any leaks. My car only makes a loud reving sound when I turn Left only and straighten the wheel the noise goes away.

Popped the hood open with car running and removed the cap to the power steering reservoir and see air bubbles.

Any idea what the fix should be?

Replace power steering pump? Replace hose? Do the 7th gen o ring thing?

I read others replaced the rack for a whole lot of money.

09 EX-L Sedan, Taffeta White 4 banger Auto.

28.25 MPG Average
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-14-2016, 05:45 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal9 View Post
Hello,

I have an 8th Gen 4 Door EX-L automatic with about 90k miles on it.

Searched the forum for power steering issues and I found the o-ring fix for the 7th gen, but not the 8th gen.

I cannot see any leaks. My car only makes a loud reving sound when I turn Left only and straighten the wheel the noise goes away.

Popped the hood open with car running and removed the cap to the power steering reservoir and see air bubbles.

Any idea what the fix should be?

Replace power steering pump? Replace hose? Do the 7th gen o ring thing?

I read others replaced the rack for a whole lot of money.
Try Lucas power steering stop leak. I had a range rover that was literally pissing out power steering fluid and this stuff stopped the leak.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-14-2016, 06:09 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
OK, you say you don't "see any leaks", but are you in fact losing power steering fluid?

Air bubbles are normal if the power steering fluid level is within low/high levels. It is a pump, after all, and pushing that fluid around a non air-tight system will mean there will be a few bubbles. What you don't want is frothing. If you have a frothy mixture when you remove the little reservoir cap for a second or two to look inside while the car is running, then that means you are getting way too much air in there.

But the issue here is a groaning noise, is that correct? Only when turning left?

A new O-ring is under 2 bucks, and will take you about 5 minutes to swap. When is the last time you changed out your power steering fluid? If you did, did you use Honda PS fluid or which brand/type?
Daythread831 likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Something Cliché Here

Replace the O-ring.

2008 Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi.
HID Low's
LED Fogs
Light Smoked Tails
Sport Spoiler
19x8.5 +35 Niche Ritz Wheels
LED Interior

post #5 of 11 Old 04-14-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Hey folks.

Not losing fluid. reservoir level has been in the middle of max and low.

I do honda power steering fluid. I could top it off to max and see if it drops over period of time.

No foaming in the tank when the engine is running.

I hear about the o ring. Anyone got a link to the o -ring repair?

I watched a video of a complete power steering over haul. not sure if that what you folks are implying on need to do.

i think this is what you guys are referring too.

DIY Power Steering Pump O-Ring TSB

I saw the 7th gen o ring fix, but didn't think that would be the same for the 8th gen?

Never changed PS fluid.

28.25 MPG Average
post #6 of 11 Old 05-01-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Changed o-ring today and the noise went away! Works on the 8th Gen I4 Honda accord.

emptied the reservoir tank and disconnect the hose from it to clean it out.

Removed the 10 mm bolt on the hose on the front of the power steering pump.

The original o-ring was black and the new one was orange.

Turn wheel left to right and back a couple times until the noise went away. turned off car and checked for fluid leaks and filled the tank between min and full.

28.25 MPG Average
post #7 of 11 Old 05-01-2016, 08:19 PM
5th Gear

Sweet. I don't have this issue but if it pops up now I'll know what to do. Did you replace the PS fluid that you took out with new fluid or just put it back in after changing the o-ring?
post #8 of 11 Old 03-25-2017, 01:29 PM
My First Post

Do you still see bubbles in the reservoir after replacing the o-ring?
post #9 of 11 Old 03-25-2017, 01:56 PM
Out of Control

Honda changed the color to orange for the new improved O-ring to differentiate from the old black one. PS fluid should be changed 25K, from AAA.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 511K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #10 of 11 Old 03-25-2017, 07:30 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2004Accord View Post
Honda changed the color to orange for the new improved O-ring to differentiate from the old black one. PS fluid should be changed 25K, from AAA.
I don't believe that is an exact true statement. I believe the 7th gen o-ring is orange in color. It is also mentioned in a TSB.

However, the 8th gen o-ring is still black. The correct part number for the 8th gen is 91345-R70-A11.

I replaced mine about 7-8 months ago because I also experienced foaming in the reservoir. I changed the fluid as well, and now my steering is quiet and no foaming. Check out the part number I posted. It should be about 2 bucks at your local dealer.

2008 Accord LX-P. 101k miles, daily driver
post #11 of 11 Old 03-25-2017, 08:41 PM
Out of Control

You are right, was thinking about the 7th. gen. I stand corrected.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 511K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.