Oil change through the dipstick tube - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-11-2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Oil change through the dipstick tube

Hi all,

I decided I'm going to start doing my oil-changes from the top to avoid the draining mess. My driveway has taken enough abuse.

I bought an oil-extractor from Amazon (

It should've been straightforward... I put the thin oil-extractor tube into the dipstick tube and pushed until I was fairly certain I was at the bottom of the oil pan. Then I started pumping and... nothing came out. In fact the pump itself wasn't really creating any suction. I tested the pump on a bottle of water and it sucked the water out fine.

My question to you all - is the top-down oil-extraction method possible with a 2008 Accord LX? aka the K24Z2 engine?

Any of you have success with this? Any idea what's going wrong with mine? A 15 minute job turned into 2 hours of frustration

Thanks in advance

post #2 of 8 Old 10-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Out of Control

I have a 2005 Acura TSX with a K24A2 engine and have used an oil extractor many times. The model I have is a Topsider and I purchased it from Northern tools. It works great.

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
The Following User Says Thank You to greg1c For This Useful Post:
zoneblitz181 (10-20-2015)
post #3 of 8 Old 10-11-2015, 05:37 PM

The dip stick will almost touch the bottom of the pan. It should work. What are your plans for the filter? That what makes the mess for me.

'65 Corvair convertible.
'14 Accord 6 Speed Manual.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Out of Control

Don't know about your car, but it is possible on a 2007:

Topside oil changes

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my car's thread
post #5 of 8 Old 10-12-2015, 05:09 AM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to CharlieHustle Send a message via Yahoo to CharlieHustle
How were you certain that the tube reached the bottom of the oil pan?

Maybe you had the relief valve open?
post #6 of 8 Old 10-20-2015, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Turns out it was the extractor! It was too weak.

I used my friend's "Topsider" which is made out of metal rather than plastic. It sucked the oil out like a charm.

The filter change was still messy though!
post #7 of 8 Old 10-20-2015, 04:06 PM
Honda enthusiast

The filter is by far the worst part. I'm not seeing the point since you still have to dirty a drain pan anyways, you also want to dirty a fluid extractor? You like cleaning stuff? I hate cleaning oily stuff. Had to stab the filter last time, that was the messiest.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-20-2015, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

There is something in the dipstick tube that deflects a flexible hose, especially when the engine is warm and the hose gets softer.

I stripped a piece of 12/2 wire (typical house electrical wire) and used a length of copper inside the hose to guide it straight down into the pan. Worked like a charm!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.