They Overfilled My Oil!!! - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV

They Overfilled My Oil!!!

I just did my oil change few days ago. Last night I check the oil level (cold engine) and it's about 1/4 above the max fill lline on the dip stick. The freaking !diots at the dealership can't even do the oil change correctly.

Should I take it back and have them drain some or is this ok?

08 Accord V6 Coupe Auto NAV PMM/Black

Haves:
20% Tint / 55W 5K HID / Debadged / Rebadged with HFP Emblems / No DRLs / 7th Gen Coupe Headrests / Oddyssey Lower Grill / 20" Privat Vulkans 20x8.5 45 ET / 245 35 20 Nitto Extreme ZR 555's / HFP Suspension / TSX RSB / Magnaflow CBE / Crosstour Shifter / Xpel Fog Light Film

Wants:
Rearview Camera / Hacked Navi

Previous Rides:
2000 CLK 320
1995 3000GT
1988 Supra Turbo
1982 Supra
1985 Accord
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 AM
I <3 Honda

Send a message via AIM to starbai
I always wondered what happens when you over fill oil.

In for answer.

On another completely unrealated note I just noticed that you had a 88 supra turbo-- by any chance have pics of it? I love MK3s

post #3 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Leased a VW_My life ****s

A 1/4 of what? If you mean a 1/4 of an inch or a 1/4 the length of the "XXXX" section of the dipstick, I would say no. I'm under the assumption that the "XXX" area denotes 1qt. of Oil. If we assume that the rate remains the same, being a 1/4 over (with either measure) would probably be between 1/4 of a qt to 1/2 a qt of Oil and it is not a big deal in my eyes.

'12 VW Jetta 2.5/5spd lease - WORST decision ever
'11 Infiniti G37x - Sold
'09 TW 6-6 - Sold 1/1/2011

post #4 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 AM
6th Gear

Just slightly overfilled won't cause any trouble. There was a post not too long ago on it, but overfilling by a lot can lead to major engine damage.

-03 Honda Accord EX V6
-Debadged-17mm sway bar-UR crank pulley-AEM CAI
post #5 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Out of Control

You have a vented crank case... nothing will happen unless you get spillage from a breather tube
post #6 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRMed View Post
A 1/4 of what? If you mean a 1/4 of an inch or a 1/4 the length of the "XXXX" section of the dipstick, I would say no. I'm under the assumption that the "XXX" area denotes 1qt. of Oil. If we assume that the rate remains the same, being a 1/4 over (with either measure) would probably be between 1/4 of a qt to 1/2 a qt of Oil and it is not a big deal in my eyes.
I meant to say 1/4 - 1/3 inch above the max fill line. I figured it's probably not a big deal but wanted confirm with forum experts so I can feel better.

08 Accord V6 Coupe Auto NAV PMM/Black

Haves:
20% Tint / 55W 5K HID / Debadged / Rebadged with HFP Emblems / No DRLs / 7th Gen Coupe Headrests / Oddyssey Lower Grill / 20" Privat Vulkans 20x8.5 45 ET / 245 35 20 Nitto Extreme ZR 555's / HFP Suspension / TSX RSB / Magnaflow CBE / Crosstour Shifter / Xpel Fog Light Film

Wants:
Rearview Camera / Hacked Navi

Previous Rides:
2000 CLK 320
1995 3000GT
1988 Supra Turbo
1982 Supra
1985 Accord
post #7 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Leased a VW_My life ****s

I'm not an expert, but if you go to BobIsTheOilGuy.com and read some stories about people who had their cars overfilled (in some cases with double the amount of oil recommended as in a total of 12qt instead of 6qt), after a drain and fill, their cars were back to normal.

EDIT: Don't go to the dealer for oil changes. They use some no name bulk oil BS. I like Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w20. If one day the price is right, I'll buy a some Pennzoil Platinum 5w20.

'12 VW Jetta 2.5/5spd lease - WORST decision ever
'11 Infiniti G37x - Sold
'09 TW 6-6 - Sold 1/1/2011
post #8 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Out of Control

The only problem with overfilling is if crankshaft touches the oil, which would turn it info froth, which means air in the oil... you get the picture (and it's not pretty). Problem is you never know when that will happen.

That much over the max line is borderline dangerous IMO, so I'd just drain enough to bring it to the max line. It's a quick job, you don't even have to lift the car, and won't even get dirty; it's cheap insurance IMO. Just clean the drain plug area well (so you can reuse some of the oil), loosen the drain plug a few turns and let it slowly drain 1/2-qt on a pre-measured container (a 2L milk jug cut off works well, where you pour a pre-measured 1/2L from your wife's kitchen arsenal and mark it with a sharpie), and stop when it reaches that line. Recheck level, repeat as necessary, and top off to max with the same oil, dispose of the rest, and you're done. And let us know how much it was over so everybody knows next time; it could be a quart or more, who knows. Oh, and don't ever take your car for oil changes again; DIY man, it's real easy, and you're going to do it right . Hope this helps.
post #9 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 09:55 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
The only problem with overfilling is if crankshaft touches the oil, which would turn it info froth, which means air in the oil... you get the picture (and it's not pretty). Problem is you never know when that will happen.

That much over the max line is borderline dangerous IMO, so I'd just drain enough to bring it to the max line. It's a quick job, you don't even have to lift the car, and won't even get dirty; it's cheap insurance IMO. Just clean the drain plug area well (so you can reuse some of the oil), loosen the drain plug a few turns and let it slowly drain 1/2-qt on a pre-measured container (a 2L milk jug cut off works well, where you pour a pre-measured 1/2L from your wife's kitchen arsenal and mark it with a sharpie), and stop when it reaches that line. Recheck level, top off to max if necessary with the same oil, dispose of the rest, and you're done. Oh, and don't ever take your car for oil changes again; DIY man, it's real easy, and you're going to do it right . Hope this helps.
1/2 a quart over isn't going to do anything. Don't freak out possibly spill oil everywhere over it. If we're talking at least a quart, then maybe you should worry.

-03 Honda Accord EX V6
post #10 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 10:04 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRMed View Post

EDIT: Don't go to the dealer for oil changes. They use some no name bulk oil BS. I like Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w20. If one day the price is right, I'll buy a some Pennzoil Platinum 5w20.
they don't use the honda motor oil? i really need to start changing my mom's oil myself

2014 Lexus IS350 FSport RWD w/ VGRS 35K Miles

Other Cars that i maintain

2007 Lexus RX350 120K miles
2005 Honda Accord EXL V6 AT 80K
2004 Honda Accord EX i4 AT 180K

2007 Accord Coupe EX-L auto I4 - 130k miles Sold
post #11 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Wat... lol
post #12 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 10:11 AM
7th Gear

If it isn't out of the way, I would take it back to the dealer to show them what they did. Ask to speak to the Service Manager. If they ask to fix it, say that you will never trust them again to do such a simple task.

You would think that in times like these Dealers would bend over backwards for their customers.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #13 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
Wat... lol
If you fill up oil all the way to the crankshaft, the crankshaft will churn up the oil, resulting in a loss in performance, and less lubrication due to the air bubbles in the system. However, 1/2 a quart won't bring the oil up to the crankshaft.

-03 Honda Accord EX V6
post #14 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 10:30 AM
5th Gear

I'm on the "dont worry about it" side.

Sounds like its about 1qt overfilled, which is really stupid on the part of the dealer. They did change the oil filter, right??? Worth a look...

The crankshaft clearance to the oil isnt as tight as some make it sound. Also remember the oil height is lower when the engine is running. So there is more forgiveness in oil height than many think.

And should the oil level be so high it does hit the crank, your first issues are rarely severe. MPG and may be some oil seepage.

When your talking QUARTS over, then you'll have something to worry about!
post #15 of 42 Old 06-24-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconVTR View Post
. They did change the oil filter, right??? Worth a look...
I doubt they did which is prob why its a little overfilled. Def take a look and if they didn't change it ask for some free oil changes, touch up paint etc.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.