Engine misfire procedure A fix review - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 30 Old 08-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Cooklung

Yeah dude. Don't reuse old plugs. These engines are sensitive enough. If you're smart enough to be able to swap them yourself, invest the $11 a pop and get new ones.

Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 08-10-2015, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
Pretty sure modern plugs say not to do this.
Just to clarify, I have never personally reused spark plugs but I had heard of people cleaning and reusing plugs.

2008 Accord EX-L V6 sedan non-navi
Tint
lip spoiler
post #18 of 30 Old 08-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahed View Post
Just to clarify, I have never personally reused spark plugs but I had heard of people cleaning and reusing plugs.
I checked

Looks like they say you can clean it but there's a risk of damaging the electrode if you get aggressive with a metal bristle brush. They also say it doesn't return them to 100% either. If I was killing plugs regularly, I would switch to cheapo <$8 copper plugs and swap them frequently rather than spending the elbow grease cleaning them. (or just fix the underlying problem that's fouling the plugs )

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 30 Old 08-10-2015, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
I checked

Looks like they say you can clean it but there's a risk of damaging the electrode if you get aggressive with a metal bristle brush. They also say it doesn't return them to 100% either. If I was killing plugs regularly, I would switch to cheapo <$8 copper plugs and swap them frequently rather than spending the elbow grease cleaning them. (or just fix the underlying problem that's fouling the plugs )
agree 100%

2008 Accord EX-L V6 sedan non-navi
Tint
lip spoiler
post #20 of 30 Old 08-11-2015, 04:01 AM
4th Gear

I work at a Honda dealership (in detail) and I have noticed over the past 3 to 4 months we have done a lot of re-rings in Accord, Odyssey and Pilot's. We're a small dealership and at one point had 3 in the shop at the same time. As the OP has stated, we start with a software update and when it comes back (not if), we do a re-ring. Talking with other techs about the problem, they say the re-ring is a temporary band-aid and eventually the car will exhibit the same problems again. I know a lot of people on this site are more worried about the 4 cylinders being problematic but in my year of working at the dealership I've never seen a 8th Generation 4 cylinder Accord in our shop with oil consumption issues as bad as the V6. I've seen a couple that burn a little bit of oil but that's it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a 2008-2012 Accord V6 without an extended warranty because of the engine issues. My 4 cylinder has burned 1/2 a quart in over 5k miles of driving which I consider more than acceptable. Re-ring is expensive out of warranty but I know we have done them on cars with as high as 120k miles so at least Honda is doing something.
greyhonda likes this.

Mine - 2017 Accord EX | Modern Steel Metallic
Aunt - 2014 Accord V6 Touring | White Orchid Pearl
post #21 of 30 Old 08-11-2015, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
I work at a Honda dealership (in detail) and I have noticed over the past 3 to 4 months we have done a lot of re-rings in Accord, Odyssey and Pilot's. We're a small dealership and at one point had 3 in the shop at the same time. As the OP has stated, we start with a software update and when it comes back (not if), we do a re-ring. Talking with other techs about the problem, they say the re-ring is a temporary band-aid and eventually the car will exhibit the same problems again. I know a lot of people on this site are more worried about the 4 cylinders being problematic but in my year of working at the dealership I've never seen a 8th Generation 4 cylinder Accord in our shop with oil consumption issues as bad as the V6. I've seen a couple that burn a little bit of oil but that's it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a 2008-2012 Accord V6 without an extended warranty because of the engine issues. My 4 cylinder has burned 1/2 a quart in over 5k miles of driving which I consider more than acceptable. Re-ring is expensive out of warranty but I know we have done them on cars with as high as 120k miles so at least Honda is doing something.
Would Honda do a re-ring job based on current spark plug condition (see pictures in the beginning) without CEL for misfire?
post #22 of 30 Old 08-11-2015, 06:41 AM
Yes, I'm a girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibiryk View Post
Would Honda do a re-ring job based on current spark plug condition (see pictures in the beginning) without CEL for misfire?
They'd need to do the oil consumption test.

~Jen~
2008 EX-L V6 Coupe - BBP
2004 EX-L V6 Coupe - SMR - RIP :(
post #23 of 30 Old 08-11-2015, 02:41 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibiryk View Post
The only time we preform a re-ring is when the car has already had the software update applied and the symptoms come back.

Honda changed how VCM worked in the 2013+ Accord's and so far no issues have been reported with it's system. In fact I think the 2013+ Accord's are better built cars than the 8th, but not as nicely finished and built as the 7th Generation.

post #24 of 30 Old 08-12-2015, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
The only time we preform a re-ring is when the car has already had the software update applied and the symptoms come back.

Honda changed how VCM worked in the 2013+ Accord's and so far no issues have been reported with it's system. In fact I think the 2013+ Accord's are better built cars than the 8th, but not as nicely finished and built as the 7th Generation.
In my case, Honda did software update. It is obvious that misfire will happen again and it is just a matter of time.
post #25 of 30 Old 08-19-2015, 08:46 AM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to CharlieHustle Send a message via Yahoo to CharlieHustle
Quote:
So even after a software flash and a re-ring, you're saying the engine would still encounter the same issue down the road? There's is no complete solution/repair? It's hard to imagine Honda designing an engine they use on multiple platforms with a misfire/oil consumption issue that cannot be solved.
post #26 of 30 Old 08-19-2015, 05:17 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHustle View Post
So even after a software flash and a re-ring, you're saying the engine would still encounter the same issue down the road? There's is no complete solution/repair? It's hard to imagine Honda designing an engine they use on multiple platforms with a misfire/oil consumption issue that cannot be solved.
From what I was told by a few technicians it's possible that it can come back again. I will ask again tomorrow to clarify if that's what they said so I'm not spreading false information.

post #27 of 30 Old 09-13-2015, 08:02 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
From what I was told by a few technicians it's possible that it can come back again. I will ask again tomorrow to clarify if that's what they said so I'm not spreading false information.
Thanks for the inside info, ryrannell2003! I was very interested in buying a Honda Certified 2012 V6 EX-L, but this VCM issue is scaring me. A dealer i spoke with said the re-ring is the fix and a car I am/was interested in was "fixed" by it.

Were you able to get an answer on whether the re-rings have been successful at eliminating the problem permanently? Any new info would be very helpful. Thanks!
post #28 of 30 Old 09-14-2015, 02:42 PM
4th Gear

So I asked my friend at the dealer today about the problem and he told me that the re-ring is NOT a permanent solution to the problem... only a band-aid at this point. However he did tell me when he was at training a few months ago a Honda engineer told him they are investigating the problem to find a final solution. The good news is that Honda is covering high mileage cars; we have a 2011 Accord V6 in the shop right now with 200k miles and Honda is covering the re-ring.

post #29 of 30 Old 09-15-2015, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

I made a visit to a dealer and show a service guy these pictures. He agreed that problem is still there and a misfire definitely will happen again but they can do nothing without CEL stating code for this. Also, I noted to him that oil consumption is about 2 qt per 7500 miles and he replied that less than 1 qt per 1000 mile is normal according to Honda.
One night couple weeks ago I stopped on red light and engine started to vibrate like a misfire happened but it lasted for about 1.5-2 seconds and went away.
Still waiting :-)
post #30 of 30 Old 09-16-2015, 04:45 AM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to CharlieHustle Send a message via Yahoo to CharlieHustle
Quote:
So I asked my friend at the dealer today about the problem and he told me that the re-ring is NOT a permanent solution to the problem... only a band-aid at this point. However he did tell me when he was at training a few months ago a Honda engineer told him they are investigating the problem to find a final solution. The good news is that Honda is covering high mileage cars; we have a 2011 Accord V6 in the shop right now with 200k miles and Honda is covering the re-ring.
Honda will cover 08-12 V6 Accords with misfire issues, excessive oil consumption, and premature spark plug failures for 8 years/unlimited mileage as long as the misfire generates DTC P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, or a combination of those DTC's together.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.