How reliable is maintenance minder? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-31-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

How reliable is maintenance minder?

I'm looking all over for a maintenance schedule and found that Honda doesn't provide one, and completely relies on the minder system. I can't sleep well at night with the possibility that the dealership just changed the oil and reset the light, leaving out the transmission fluid and much more.

Anyone know some ballpark figures on when to change tranny fluid, brake fluid, antifreeze etc.? Just incase this minder system fails and I don't see a service light for like 20,000 miles lol

Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-31-2015, 05:35 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avacado11 View Post
I'm looking all over for a maintenance schedule and found that Honda doesn't provide one, and completely relies on the minder system. I can't sleep well at night with the possibility that the dealership just changed the oil and reset the light, leaving out the transmission fluid and much more.

Anyone know some ballpark figures on when to change tranny fluid, brake fluid, antifreeze etc.? Just incase this minder system fails and I don't see a service light for like 20,000 miles lol
Don't overthink this. MM will tell you when to service the car. Most places you take it to will also inspect fluids and such and tell you if anything needs attending to. Just be an informed consumer about this.

Don't understand your concern over the dealer "resetting the light". When the wrench comes on, you will see the codes (A1, B1, B2, etc) which will tell you what needs done. The only way to miss these is if you change your oil too early and the MM is reset before ever telling you the codes. Morale of this story: don't change your oil before the wrench comes on at 15% oil life.

As for brake fluid, MM will not tell you to replace brake fluid - you do that every 3 years regardless.

On engine coolant, that's a "5" code. After 92,000 miles on my Honda Fit, that code never came up, so for that car the engine coolant is good for at least that many miles. I would be surprised to find anything different for the Accord.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 Old 05-31-2015, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMVB View Post
Don't understand your concern over the dealer "resetting the light". When the wrench comes on, you will see the codes (A1, B1, B2, etc) which will tell you what needs done.
What I meant was that there's a possibility that the dealer(was a used car dealership) cheaped out on service and just changed the oil even though it was due for other service.

How "smart" is MM? Could it detect something wasn't changed and throw a code again, shortly after?

post #4 of 24 Old 05-31-2015, 06:02 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
What I meant was that there's a possibility that the dealer(was a used car dealership) cheaped out on service and just changed the oil even though it was due for other service.

How "smart" is MM? Could it detect something wasn't changed and throw a code again, shortly after?
Good question. I don't think the MM is that smart. It is always triggered by oil life remaining, and then gives you the other codes to go with it. So the only thing that will trigger the codes is getting to 15% oil life.

If it's a low mileage car, not much to worry about.

If it's a mid/high mileage car, that may be something to worry about. If it threw a B3 or B4 code, and the used car dealership reset it without doing the maintenance, the MM would have no way of "knowing" that. The algorithm would assume the maintenance was done and wouldn't give you that code until it was due again.

But B3 says change transmission fluid, and B4 says replace spark plugs and timing belt. Should be easy to figure out whether the transmission fluid and plugs were changed through examination.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

post #5 of 24 Old 05-31-2015, 06:16 PM

The MM is based 100% on mileage for all maintenance except for oil changes. Oil life take certain driving conditions into consideration.

The service codes don't come up on their own. They coincide with the oil change interval closest to the mileage they are do. So for items that are due at 105K, the codes will come up at the next OCI. If the oil was changed at 104K, those codes won't come up until the next time the oil life indicator pops up.

2007 EX-L 4DR
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 03LXV6 For This Useful Post:
samsullivan (06-01-2015), suisunca (06-01-2015), teezythakidd (05-31-2015)
post #6 of 24 Old 05-31-2015, 06:17 PM
Yes, I'm a girl.

That's why you take it somewhere you trust or do it yourself.

~Jen~
2008 EX-L V6 Coupe - BBP
2004 EX-L V6 Coupe - SMR - RIP :(
post #7 of 24 Old 05-31-2015, 06:44 PM
Just here for the food

in short: reliable but not enough to put EVERY ounce of your trust in, i'd say. +1 on 03LXV6 mentioning how the service codes show up too

'09 EX-L Sedan L4 "Nina" | NH578
Current mods:
  • LED interior lights (warm white dome + map | blue courtesy/door)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 6000k COB LED Bar DRL/Fogs (just for looks) INOP

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • NOKYA Hyper Yellows for DRLs/Highs
Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 24 Old 05-31-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Car has 41k on it as of now. Oil life is at 60%. ATF is a little dark. Not super dark, but it's not bright pink like when it's new. Main reason I ask is cause the thing doesn't shift smoothly. I believe that from the 2nd-3rd gear I can feel a jerk when it shifts. No grinding noise or anything, just shifts funny.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-01-2015, 06:57 AM
2nd Gear

Garage
Quote:

I don't think any dealer (new or used) wants to miss out on an opportunity to charge you for something.

On the other side of the fence, if all you asked for was an oil change, then maybe they figured they wouldn't look to do anything else, or they weren't equipped to work on your car.

So far, I've taken my car to the dealer for all service work and was told at 30k (my next service interval) they will flush and refill the transmission along with the normal service.

'03 Accord EX Sedan
'12 Accord EX Sedan
'13 CRV EXL
post #10 of 24 Old 06-01-2015, 07:15 AM
Car so nice, bought twice

Just resetting the oil life won't stop the countdown on the B service or whatever it is that includes tranny fluid. They're separate maintenance tasks in the ecu that are reset separately. Unless the dealership tech got lazy and hit the button to reset both in HDS...

If you're having tranny trouble, just do a drain and fill. 30k miles is the recommendation from when maintenance schedules were still a thing. Personally I drain and fill every oil change to keep the fluid constantly refreshed. By the time 30k rolls around I'll have drained+filled the tranny fluid 10 times.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #11 of 24 Old 06-01-2015, 08:23 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
Just resetting the oil life won't stop the countdown on the B service or whatever it is that includes tranny fluid. They're separate maintenance tasks in the ecu that are reset separately. Unless the dealership tech got lazy and hit the button to reset both in HDS...
I have to disagree with you on this. The dealer can say that certain things were done and reset them individually in the HDS, otherwise the MM system assumes all recommended tasks were completed when the MM was reset.

The notes in the Honda Service Manual even state as such...

"If the maintenance minder recommends replaced the ATF, reset the maintenance minder (see page 3-7), and this procedure is complete. If the maintenance minder did not require you to recommends replace the ATF, go to step 8." Step 8 being how to update the HDS at a per task level...

2014 LX Accord - White Orchid Pearl - 19K miles

Living it up in the Triad of the great NC
post #12 of 24 Old 06-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Car so nice, bought twice

I was reading OPs question as he got an A service light indicating time for an oil change and was worried that resetting the oil life after doing that service also resets the tranny fluid countdown.

Otherwise, you're right that if you reset the MM when it recommends a B service that it assumes you did a B service.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

The Following User Says Thank You to drowned12 For This Useful Post:
08EX-L (06-01-2015)
post #13 of 24 Old 06-01-2015, 01:45 PM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

don't trust either the stealer OR the MM

I don't trust the MM or the dealer. I have a totally trusted tech who says, engine oil every 5k; tranny fluid 30k; plugs, water pump & timing belt 95k, serpentine belt when it's showing wear. He says don't adjust the valves, he did it once on another 8 Gen V6 at 100k and found them still in tolerance. Apparently they're a b___h to get to and it's not worth the labor cost.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #14 of 24 Old 06-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Low Gear

I'll give you one.

- Oil & filter every 6 months.
- ATF every 25-30K miles.
- Power steering fluid every 25K miles.
- Brake fluid every 2 years (unless brakes were serviced in between)
- Coolant 90K. Same time do timing belt and water pump.
- I would do spark plugs at 90K too. BUT, J35 got the misfiring issue so mostly plugs have been changed before that.

I'm guessing you got your car used, so maybe you should do a lot of these just so you can have the piece of mind, on your log for records.

2016 Accord EX I4, 2010 Accord EX-L V6, 2017 Accord Sport
post #15 of 24 Old 08-07-2015, 02:55 PM
My First Post

I'm a bit worried. I have my Accord 2011 coupe brand new from dealer. I do see oil life MM, and changed at Mister Carwash. My Accord is now 62K miles, and I have NEVER seen any service code Ax or By, except oil life %.

I am very worried that the MM doesn't work properly on my car. The ONLY things I have been changing is oil, oil filters, and air filters. And absolutely nothing else. (except 2 fron tires, when I smashed into the curb and dmanaged it. Even the back tires are still the original tires, I keep looking at it, and measure with the penny's head. It's still show some life...

So, is Accord that good? or what? where is the service A or B code? why never show up not even once??

Anyone else has same concerns?

Thanks
tdpham04

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.