3Likes
  • 1 Post By mitchkramez
  • 1 Post By ctandc
  • 1 Post By JenerationX
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-05-2015, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Cost for replacement Key / FOB?

My new to me '11 6/6 coupe only had 1 key. I need to order the Driver 2 key. So I can get it online (Honda OEM) for a bit under $40 shipped. A little over $40 locally.

$105 to cut and program the key is the cheapest price I've found locally.

What is everyone else paying?

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Just here for the food

Too much lol. My dealer charges $115 for the fob + cutting + programming, but I can get a fob off eBay for like $12, get it cut locally for ~$50 locally and program it myself. I actually have a couple of extra fobs I have yet to get cut.

'09 EX-L Sedan L4 "Nina" | NH578
Current mods:
  • LED interior lights (warm white dome + map | blue courtesy/door)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 6000k COB LED Bar DRL/Fogs (just for looks) INOP

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • NOKYA Hyper Yellows for DRLs/Highs
Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 14 Old 05-05-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teezythakidd View Post
Too much lol. My dealer charges $115 for the fob + cutting + programming, but I can get a fob off eBay for like $12, get it cut locally for ~$50 locally and program it myself. I actually have a couple of extra fobs I have yet to get cut.
I don't mean the programming for the remote unlock / lock FOB - I'm talking about the programming for the immobilizer / anti-theft.

The two locksmiths I've found that can program the later model Honda keys (immobilizer) want more than the price I listed...

post #4 of 14 Old 05-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Just here for the food

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teezythakidd View Post
I don't mean the programming for the remote unlock / lock FOB - I'm talking about the programming for the immobilizer / anti-theft.

The two locksmiths I've found that can program the later model Honda keys (immobilizer) want more than the price I listed...
Works the same way though doesn't it?
post #5 of 14 Old 05-05-2015, 02:02 PM
1st Gear

Teezy,
I don't think it does work the same way. From what I understand, you have to have the HDS system to program the key to the security system, from there it can be paired/unpaired with the vehicle etc.
teezythakidd likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-05-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkramez View Post
Teezy,
I don't think it does work the same way. From what I understand, you have to have the HDS system to program the key to the security system, from there it can be paired/unpaired with the vehicle etc.
You said it before I could. I called a friend who was a Honda Service Manager for many years (he sold out to go to BMW LOL) and he gave me the skinny.

You have to show ID and Registration at the dealer. You also are supposed to have any other working keys with you. He said that most dealers charge an hour labor, but it usually takes about 15 minutes to cut and program. Normally they will also program the fob functions (unlock / lock etc) but you can actually do that yourself.

I was just curious what everyone else was paying. If I can't find a hook up at a local dealer, I'm gonna bite the bullet and get it done shortly....don't like having just one key.
teezythakidd likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-05-2015, 05:38 PM
Just here for the food

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkramez View Post
Teezy,
Ah, ok..

Quote:
You said it before I could. I called a friend who was a Honda Service Manager for many years (he sold out to go to BMW LOL) and he gave me the skinny.

You have to show ID and Registration at the dealer. You also are supposed to have any other working keys with you. He said that most dealers charge an hour labor, but it usually takes about 15 minutes to cut and program. Normally they will also program the fob functions (unlock / lock etc) but you can actually do that yourself.

I was just curious what everyone else was paying. If I can't find a hook up at a local dealer, I'm gonna bite the bullet and get it done shortly....don't like having just one key.
Yup, so I've been told.
Guess you and I both will have to bite the bullet lol.

'09 EX-L Sedan L4 "Nina" | NH578
Current mods:
  • LED interior lights (warm white dome + map | blue courtesy/door)

• 6000k COB LED Bar DRL/Fogs (just for looks) INOP

• NOKYA Hyper Yellows for DRLs/Highs
Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 14 Old 05-06-2015, 08:16 AM
1st Gear

When I bought my car used it only came with 1 key. Dealers were quoting me $140-$180 for a second key cut and programmed. I bought one on ebay for $28 and found a local locksmith that cut and programmed for $80. So the new key came out to about $115 after tax.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-06-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmax View Post
When I bought my car used it only came with 1 key. Dealers were quoting me $140-$180 for a second key cut and programmed. I bought one on ebay for $28 and found a local locksmith that cut and programmed for $80. So the new key came out to about $115 after tax.
I may try to call some more local locksmiths. The one I found that said they could program / cut the Honda key wanted $100 to do it.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Yes, I'm a girl.

The transponder keys which the Accords have also need to be programmed to the car. This effects the immobilizer and is not the same as programming the buttons.

New key fob, cut, and programmed at the dealer should run close to the $105 you were quoted. I saw a few work orders in the past week for it $108 + tax.
teezythakidd likes this.

~Jen~
2008 EX-L V6 Coupe - BBP
2004 EX-L V6 Coupe - SMR - RIP :(
post #11 of 14 Old 05-13-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenerationX View Post
The transponder keys which the Accords have also need to be programmed to the car. This effects the immobilizer and is not the same as programming the buttons.

New key fob, cut, and programmed at the dealer should run close to the $105 you were quoted. I saw a few work orders in the past week for it $108 + tax.
That is correct - when I say "program" I mean the immobilizer - not the FOB buttons.

I ordered the OEM Driver 1 key yesterday from Ebay and a Northern VA dealership. $38 shipped - should be here today.

Will hit up the dealership Sat morning.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-15-2015, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
My new to me '11 6/6 coupe only had 1 key. I need to order the Driver 2 key. So I can get it online (Honda OEM) for a bit under $40 shipped. A little over $40 locally.

$105 to cut and program the key is the cheapest price I've found locally.

What is everyone else paying?

I paid $196- for the key/cut/program+Taxes. Thats in central NJ. Over at the DCH Honda academy in Old Bridge.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-16-2015, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Just got back from the Honda dealership - $38 for the key shipped from a NOVA dealership - $105 at the dealership for cut / programming.

Key worked fine to start the car...figured they had programmed the FOB - nope. So I looked up the procedure and did it. Of course it seemed not to work.....it was weird. A few minutes later and both keys will no unlock windows / trunk etc.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-21-2015, 04:18 PM
2005 Honda Accord LX

Thumbs up you do not need program key at dealer, if....

here is what i have been able to find out so far...i too am in need of a new FOB cover...really stupid design for Honda.

here are the steps to avoid having to pay the dealer to reprogram the transponder chip:
1) you open up the both the new & old FOB.
2) remove the transponder from the old & new FOB (do this gently)...make sure you dont mix it up.
3) install the OLD transponder in the NEW FOB cover
4) your choice of using the old or new clicker unit...install into FOB cover.
5) close unit up.
6) reprogram new clicker yourself if you used the new clicker in step 5

you car will start because we used the OLD transponder

how i found out:

Last edited by footprintsincon; 07-21-2015 at 04:20 PM. Reason: added youtube video link showing this...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.