ATF overfilled by 1/8 of an inch on the dipstick: Should I drain and fill again? - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 30 Old 04-14-2015, 10:32 AM
4th Gear

Ahhhhhhhhh - that makes sense.

Thank you. For whatever reason, my brain skipped over the part about turning off the engine, though clearly written.

2014 LX Accord - White Orchid Pearl - 19K miles

Living it up in the Triad of the great NC
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 04-14-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 LX View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. An 1/8" is nothing. If it really bothers you, then you can suck some out through the dip stick hole.
Ya Im not gonna worry about it anymore.

I actually did try to suck some out last Sunday with a very thin plastic tubing that I got from home depot and attached it to my suction syringe. I couldnt get the hose down far enough cause it was still too thick! Waste of an hour and $15 buying tubing and the suction syringe and adaptors

post #18 of 30 Old 04-14-2015, 04:04 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysonTKO View Post
I couldn't get the hose down far enough
I change my transmission fluid every time I change my motor oil by extracting it thru the dipstick hole. You have to use a SEMI-RIGID plastic tubing like the kind they use for ice makers.

Its pretty hard to shove a vinyl tubing deep down there because there is some kind of casting or ledge that will deflect a soft tubing.

post #19 of 30 Old 04-14-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
I change my transmission fluid every time I change my motor oil by extracting it thru the dipstick hole. You have to use a SEMI-RIGID plastic tubing like the kind they use for ice makers.

Its pretty hard to shove a vinyl tubing deep down there because there is some kind of casting or ledge that will deflect a soft tubing.
Thanks, where do you get semi-rigid tubing? Its not a bad thing to have on hand for future purposes.

You change 3 qrts of ATF doing this method? Wow, it isnt time consuming?

The thing with this car is that inside the tranny fill hole, there is two parellel ridges, so it cuts the holes diameter in half, literally.
post #20 of 30 Old 04-14-2015, 04:30 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Thanks, where do you get semi-rigid tubing?

You change 3 qrts of ATF doing this method? Wow, it isnt time consuming?
I bought mine from Home Depot. Its 1/4" ice maker tubing for hooking up a fridge. You have to jiggle/shove it around to get it to the very bottom.

My transmission holds 2 1/2 qts. I drained it from the bottom once with the two driver's side tires up on a curb and got 3 qts.

With my compressor powered oil extractor from Harbor Freight, I can empty and refill it in about 15-20 minutes
post #21 of 30 Old 04-14-2015, 04:43 PM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
I don't have to raise the car....I just reach under with a 3/8 inch ratchet, open, drain into an oil pan, and tighten up with a new crush washer about 5 minutes later.

Literally, 5 minutes for the drain, and 2 for the fill. No mess, one tool.
post #22 of 30 Old 04-15-2015, 11:44 AM
2015 Accord Touring I4

Quote:
I bought mine from Home Depot. Its 1/4" ice maker tubing for hooking up a fridge. You have to jiggle/shove it around to get it to the very bottom.

My transmission holds 2 1/2 qts. I drained it from the bottom once with the two driver's side tires up on a curb and got 3 qts.

With my compressor powered oil extractor from Harbor Freight, I can empty and refill it in about 15-20 minutes
Interesting.

I wonder if it would be better to drain using the drain plug as part of the reason you are doing this maintenance is that you want to get any sediment / metal filings that drop to the bottom of the transmission. I believe the drain plug is also magnetic?

2015 Honda Accord Sedan Touring NAVI I4 CVT White Orchard Pearl
2011 Toyota Venza Premium V6 AWD 6AT Blizzard Pearl
2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
2005 Acura TSX I4 5AT Premium White Pearl (Sold)
2002 Honda Civic Coupe SiG Veloz I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
post #23 of 30 Old 04-15-2015, 03:57 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08EX-L View Post
Interesting.

I wonder if it would be better to drain using the drain plug as part of the reason you are doing this maintenance is that you want to get any sediment / metal filings that drop to the bottom of the transmission. I believe the drain plug is also magnetic?
First time I changed my transmission fluid at 30K miles, I did the 3X thing from the bottom. I did not find any sediment or metal filings. There was a little bit of metal dust like material on the magnetic plug, but I wouldn't at any means consider it excessive.

The transmission does have a filter. Its a non-service item. Has anyone changed theirs yet? I will probably change mine at 100K miles just so I can cut it open to see what's in there.

Where to drain from will always be open for debate. Using a "topsider" is easy, fast and clean for me. I can do it with every oil change which I think is better for the transmission than every 30K miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
I don't have to raise the car....I just reach under with a 3/8 inch ratchet, open, drain into an oil pan, and tighten up with a new crush washer about 5 minutes later.

Literally, 5 minutes for the drain, and 2 for the fill. No mess, one tool.
Good for you!

I can't reach or stick an oil pan under my car because its TOO low

With an oil extractor, there's no oil pan to drain and clean either!
post #24 of 30 Old 04-15-2015, 04:50 PM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
Quote:
Good for you!

I can't reach or stick an oil pan under my car because its TOO low

With an oil extractor, there's no oil pan to drain and clean either!
By draining underneath there is no plastic tubing on an oil extractor to clean. With the valuable time saved, I change my transmission filter.

Here in the USA many places take your used oil for free, and the 4 cylinder trans filters are even easier to change (they are an in-line filter) than the 6. Not sure which country you are in, or what size engine you have, but here in the USA the dipstick tube for the 4 cylinder is LARGER than that of the 6 cylinder.

Anyhow, a dropped car will be more difficult to drain without some sort of lift.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
post #25 of 30 Old 04-15-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:

Can you send me a link to this 1/4" ice cream tubing that you use? Would love to grab some just to have on hand.

Also, figured I could ask this here. ANYONE CAN ANSWER AS THEY PLEASE.

Are these 8th gen autos known to have really mushy soft shifting? Its so smooth that I can barely feel it, but I watch the tach and its really really soft shifting. Even softer when car is cold.

Maybe Im just not used to it, coming from a 7th gen civic where the car would buckle each time I shift even at low rpms.
post #26 of 30 Old 04-15-2015, 05:53 PM
3rd Gear

Mine doesn't shift silky smooth but isn't rough by any standard. Previous owner did not change the ATF though. When I pulled the plug on mine the first few times there was a good bit of metal particles on the drain bolt. Dealer confirmed the same.
post #27 of 30 Old 04-15-2015, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Can you send me a link to this 1/4" ice cream tubing that you use? Would love to grab some just to have on hand.

Are these 8th gen autos known to have really mushy soft shifting? Its so smooth that I can barely feel it, but I watch the tach and its really really soft shifting. Even softer when car is cold.

Just go to the plumbing department and look/ask for 1/4" O.D. polyethylene tubing (ice maker supply line). Its about $3 for 15'.

Soft shifting is what you want. The smoother the better for auto transmissions
post #28 of 30 Old 04-15-2015, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stine 304 View Post
Mine doesn't shift silky smooth but isn't rough by any standard. Previous owner did not change the ATF though. When I pulled the plug on mine the first few times there was a good bit of metal particles on the drain bolt. Dealer confirmed the same.
Thanks. Whats the milage on yours when you bought it?

Mine is only 59K Km, which is like what 40K miles?

For those who say theyre able to change their ATF by not even jacking up the car...I can probably do it (I did this all the time on my civic) but the plastic shield blocks everything. I cant even see or reach the ATF bolt from laying in front of the car without it jacked up.

I have no doubt i can reach it if I know how to, or the best way to approach it.

Quote:
Just go to the plumbing department and look/ask for 1/4" O.D. polyethylene tubing (ice maker supply line). Its about $3 for 15'.

Soft shifting is what you want. The smoother the better for auto transmissions

Thanks, Ill do that. I was at home depot last Sunday, in the plumbing dept and the tubing I bought must be completely different. Mine is clear and I always thought tubing is tubing as long as its thin enough to get inside the dipstick hole.

I always thought that soft shifting is bad for transmissions.Never knew its actually better. I wonder what the logic or theory is behind it.

Im so used to driving a 7th gen civic who had massive auto transmission problems throughout that entire generation. I hope Honda fixed all those problems and written off the horrid 7th gen trannies and its track record.

What im curious about is, how the 8th gen accord trannies compare to the 8th gen civic ones.

One of the guys here says that 8th gen accord auto trannys are bullet proof if you change the ATF often.

When I drove my civic, I really babied it especially when the tranny was cold. I would shift really lightly at low rpms for the first while until the tranny got hot. Pretty much drove it like a granny when the car was cold lol.
post #29 of 30 Old 04-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Car so nice, bought twice

Quote:
Thanks, Ill do that. I was at home depot last Sunday, in the plumbing dept and the tubing I bought must be completely different. Mine is clear and I always thought tubing is tubing as long as its thin enough to get inside the dipstick hole.

I always thought that soft shifting is bad for transmissions.Never knew its actually better. I wonder what the logic or theory is behind it.

Im so used to driving a 7th gen civic who had massive auto transmission problems throughout that entire generation. I hope Honda fixed all those problems and written off the horrid 7th gen trannies and its track record.

What im curious about is, how the 8th gen accord trannies compare to the 8th gen civic ones.

One of the guys here says that 8th gen accord auto trannys are bullet proof if you change the ATF often.

When I drove my civic, I really babied it especially when the tranny was cold. I would shift really lightly at low rpms for the first while until the tranny got hot. Pretty much drove it like a granny when the car was cold lol.
My tranny has taken a lot of abuse in it's 20k miles of life and it's still fine. That includes revving it out to 7500 rpm and flooring it with 120F coolant temp. I change the fluid though every 6 months.

Boost will be the real test of how strong the tranny is. Can it handle double the power? We'll see.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #30 of 30 Old 04-16-2015, 04:05 PM
3rd Gear

I've always checked the atf level with the car running in park, once everything is at operating temp of course. I didn't know there was a specific way to check it until I saw this thread. Did it the way it says to do, and the level is exactly the same both ways.

08EX-L likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.