honda not cutting aftermarket keys anymore? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-07-2014, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Just here for the food

Unhappy honda not cutting aftermarket keys anymore?

on different forums and in various threads (albeit from a few years or so ago) people were saying that they got aftermarket key fobs/blanks cut at their honda dealership for pretty cheap.

now............ all i get are BS (yet arguably reasonable) responses when i reach out to the local honda dealerships here. what's with this? its like the door to this slowly closed over the past few years for... whatever reason that is beyond the dealership just wanting to chip you out of $115 for an OEM setup. and now i'm beckoned to go to this local locksmith (that i KNOW FOR SURE CAN duplicate my key) and have him do it for $50................... with no guarantee that it'll work lmao . i guess its a win-win anyway, because the fobs from ebay are like $10. one blank key fob i bought on eBay a couple days after i got my car actually came with the remote inside of it, and a couple weeks ago i bought another blank key fob (w/o the remote), two flip keys (i stripped the screws on the first one), and two remotes. now i have only one working key (obviously, the OEM key), two CUT keys (OEM and flip key), and three working remotes (the OEM, the one in the flip key, and the one in the blank key). i'll get to clarifying this later.

i had to deal with a lot of prissy men and their petty attitudes the other day when i was calling different dealerships and locksmiths. 98% of the phone calls went like this

"Hi this is so and so from [name of shop] how are you?"
"Good afternoon, I'm doing fine, how are you?"
"Great! How can I help you today?"
"Well, I have a blank Honda key, that I managed to program myself to unlock/lock the doors, with the remote. I just need to get the blade cut."
"Is there a transponder in your key?"
"Yeah, the transponder is soldered onto the circuit board in the remote. I already progra--"
"SIR, is there a transponder in your key?"
"... yes. There is a transponder in my key."
"Then we can't cut it."
"Why not? I'm not asking you to program the key. I just need the BLADE cut. Isn't that what you guys do? CUT the BLADES of KEYS?"
"Yeah, we can't cut it. Because the way the keys work and the transponder and the bacon cheeseburger I had last night messed up the flux capacitor in my bathtubs faucet housing."
"What the f............. alright, thanks." *click*

One conversation went like this, and a woman picked up this phone this time:
"Hi, my name is so and so from [name of shop]. How can I help you?"
"Hi, do you guys do automotive key cutting?"
".. yes, we do."
"Awesome."
"Ummmmm, what car do you have?"
"2009..."
She shouts out to someone else in the shop, I guess, as I tell her the year, make, and model of my car. "2009!"
"Honda Accord."
"Honda Accord!"
Awkward 15 seconds of silence...
She returns to the phone saying, "Nope, we can't cut it."
"Aww, alright. Thanks."

This is the conversation I had when I called my Honda dealership, and after this conversation, all I kept saying in my head was, "BS, BS, BS." But then I tried to reason with it, because I kinda get why Honda dealerships are reluctant when it comes to cases like this. I'm just glad he wasn't a jerk about it.

*gets redirected to the service department*
"Hi my name is blah blah, how can I help you?"
"Good day, blah blah, how are you?"
"I'm doing great, how are you?"
"Great, great. Uh, quick question. Is it possible for me to come in and have a key cut? I ordered a blank from eBay, with the chip and whatnot inside. I managed to program it to my car, so I can unlock and lock the doors with the buttons, but I just need to get the blade cut."
"Actuallyyyyy, no, they won't cut it. Because of the way aftermarket guys make the keys, they're made of brass or some other non-composite inosilicate, and the machine won't take it."
"Dang. I understand."
"Yeaah, sorry about that, man."
"No problem. Thank you for the information, though!"
"You'rrrrrrre welcome!"
"Have a great rest of the day!"
"Thank you, you as well." *click*

I even went to Lowes, to no avail. The guy I dealt with had a snotty attitude too.
My friend was already at Lowes, so he went and asked around and put me on the phone with some dude that works there. This is the conversation:

"Hello?"
"Hello?"
"Yeah, uh.. your buddy said you want to get a key cut here?"
"Yeah. I have an 09 Honda Accord. I don't need it programmed, I just need the blade cut."
"... what? You need the blade programmed?"
"No. The remote is already programmed. I just need the blade cut."
"There's a transponder in that key though, isn't it?"
"Yes, there is. The transponder isn't IN the key blade itself, its in the plastic portion where the buttons are, soldered onto the circuit board, completely independent of the key blade."
"... huh? So you wanna come get the key cut?"
"Yeah. I just need the key cut."
"Hu--what?" then he hands the phone over to my friend as if he was either fed up or confused with me

So since I had time to burn before work that day, I decided to take a visit down to Lowes, and meet my buddy there, as well as the store associate I spoke with on the phone.

I show him my key and the blank key fob. He's like:
"I can't cut this."
"Why can't you cut this?"
"Because......." he says, as he turns and rotates the key as if he had never seen one before "I don't know... what cartridge to use, and... yeah, I can't cut this."
"Alright, thanks." And I walk out.

Home Depot was no good either. Luckily the guys there weren't jerks.

I understand that the cutting of the newer Honda keys is a pretty complicated process (sic: not that complicated) and does require specialized equipment, but why is it really this much of a hassle? Obviously besides security reasons, because I can prove that I own my car to the nines whenever that becomes necessary. I do know that the older Honda keys were a lot more primitive and simple in design, and could be duplicated with the same machine that duplicates your house keys.

Now, the composition of the metal in the key blade itself plays a big role in whether or not a/the locksmith can/will cut it, and most locksmiths don't understand the deal with the transponder (aka "chip" by the younger guys).

SYNOPSIS:

So far, there's literally only one locksmith I know of around here (southern Connecticut) that can cut the newer Honda keys. I took my flip key to him a couple of weeks ago, he cut it, and charged me $25 because it didn't work. But it didn't work – ironically –*because of the transponder. I've read a lot of DIYs, but haven't gotten the courage to do it (long story short, the transponder on the circuit board is placed too far away from the key blade, so the immobilizer in the ignition barrel can't detect it. thus, it needs to be taken off the circuit board, and placed into the slot designated for it inside the flip key.). The car will start, but shuts off after a second and a half. So.. one day I'll get to MacGyver-ing that. But in the meantime, let me go spend $50 on getting my other blank key cut so I can have the satisfaction of having a spare key that works... yay.

'09 EX-L Sedan L4 "Nina" | NH578
Current mods:
  • LED interior lights (warm white dome + map | blue courtesy/door)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 6000k COB LED Bar DRL/Fogs (just for looks) INOP

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • NOKYA Hyper Yellows for DRLs/Highs
Upcoming:
Plasti-dip stuff
2G TSX XM antenna swap
Deck lid spoiler
Black out roof
LED fog light kit/mod

"Information is not knowledge." Albert Einstein
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-07-2014, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

That's strange, I ordered a flip key off of ebay, and went through a similar process. I didn't think that Honda would cut the key for me, So I went to Lowes, Home Depot, And Walmart. Got the same answer from all of them, some of them were confused because I didn't need any programing, just the KEY cut, I tried to explain to them, but they didn't really understand. So then I called a locksmith, and they wanted $30.00 to cut it, and I only paid 12 dollars for the key, so I decided it wasn't worth it. I decided to call down to my local Honda dealer (Autonation Honda, Lewisville TX) And the parts guy was extremely helpful, he said over the phone "Yeah of course no problem! Just bring your keys down here with your license, and something saying you own the car, and I'll cut it no charge." Sure enough, I went to the dealership and the guy cut it for me no questions asked. Key works perfectly. And this was just last week. So maybe try another Honda dealership? Sorry that you're having problems with this! Such an easy thing, but some places just don't understand. Let me know if you get any other answers from anyone! Good luck!

post #3 of 23 Old 11-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

I think the key (no pun) to OP's problem is showing up in person instead of calling on the phone. Show up with your license and the title and they'll probably be much less inclined to say no in person.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old 11-07-2014, 11:34 PM
I love plastidip

I have a 7th gen, but my fob recently broke. I bought a switchblade key, moved the remote and chip over. Brought to a honda dealer near me, they said it didn't fit in the machine. They tried to cut it, but apparently it kept popping out of the holder. I don't really believe that but whatever. Took it to a few local places and got the same answers you did.

Finally, by chance I was near another Honda dealer 45 minutes away. I showed them my insurance card and driver's license and boom he cut it for like 10 dollars.

Like the others have said, it is better to show up in person.... even if it is a pain.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-08-2014, 03:42 AM
Nom
1st Gear

I've had similar situations too! I didn't realize it was such a pain to key a damn key cut.

So I just got my 09 sedan not too long ago and it only came with 1 key fob. I know that I need another key so I did some research and found a switchblade one that people have recommend.

I bought the key on ebay, called up almost all the local places and they said I have to buy the key from them, and they won't cut my key. Some are just as expensive as the dealer ($80ish).

I finally got one to cut it for me until he asked where did I get the key, I told him EBAY and he immediately turn me down. He said the material/metal on ebay keys are not good quality and he can't risk his machine for cutting my keys. He said it would break inside the machine (it happened before with someone else) and it is expensive to get it fix.

After no luck with the local shop, I went back to the dealership making them a deal. I told them I would buy a brand new key from them (I need a 2nd Key anyways) if they cut my key for free. They were hesitant at first but after the advisers talk to each other they decided to do it. I paid a a little over 100$ including the ebay key. That's about $50 per key which isn't bad IMO. So now I have 2x OEM keys and 1 Switchblade which i use as my primary and I love it.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-08-2014, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Just here for the food

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
I think the key (no pun) to OP's problem is showing up in person instead of calling on the phone. Show up with your license and the title and they'll probably be much less inclined to say no in person.
True. I'll keep this in mind the next time I feel like humiliating myself lol.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-08-2014, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Just here for the food

Thanks, all of you guys for sharing your stories and not making me feel like I'm the only one with issues! Haha. I'd say that I'm fed up with the local Honda dealerships around here, but I'll be in North Jersey in a couple weeks for Thanksgiving, I'll try to pop into one of the Honda dealerships there. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes... provided that my current key doesn't fall apart before then. Lol.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-08-2014, 05:03 AM
Running NYC

I think they are all pulling your leg! I had my key cut at honda as recently as a month ago! Just walked in and say he cut this for me. He asked for my vin number gave it to him and had my key cut in less than 5 mins for 20 bucks.

2008 Accord Sedan V6
Satin Red Full dip Morimoto h1 quad retrofit(HIDILLUSIONZ)
4300k low 3000k fogs
Demon eye projector mod
JDM Badges Front/Back
Acura TL-SHAWD IM cover
Debadged
28% tint all around
Switchblade Key
Takeda SRI/Magnaflow Cat-Back
Megan racing test pipe
Hawk 5.0 pads
Stoptech drilled/slotted rotors
Led signal upgrades
19x8.5 TSW Rotary forged Interlagos
Adaptec 15mm custom spacers on rear
Tein Basis coils 2" drop
19MM Acura TL rear sway bar
post #9 of 23 Old 11-08-2014, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Just here for the food

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy View Post
I think they are all pulling your leg! I had my key cut at honda as recently as a month ago! Just walked in and say he cut this for me. He asked for my vin number gave it to him and had my key cut in less than 5 mins for 20 bucks.
Maaaannnn... so the general consensus is that I should definitely show up and give this a shot in person haha.. clearly it worked for you guys!
post #10 of 23 Old 11-08-2014, 06:45 AM
4th Gear

Go to paramus honda in north jersey. They cut my key for 10 bucks plus taxes. You will have to remove the blade from the plastic case because it actually does not fit if you got the black case with silver borders from ebay. Bring license and registration as prove of ownership. Good luck
post #11 of 23 Old 11-08-2014, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Just here for the food

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskmo View Post
Go to paramus honda in north jersey. They cut my key for 10 bucks plus taxes. You will have to remove the blade from the plastic case because it actually does not fit if you got the black case with silver borders from ebay. Bring license and registration as prove of ownership. Good luck
Paramus Honda. Gotcha. Btw the blank key I have is exactly similar to the OEM. The flip key I have is already cut, I just need to take the time out and do the whole thing with the transponder so i can actually get it to start my car lol. I presume with that after either the 7th or 8th gen, Honda soldered the transponder onto the circuit board. There's a DIY on here from a guy that did it. Im just a little worried that I'll screw it up.i also have to get an exacto knife or something. All of the remotes I have (most notably the one that came with the blank + the ones I ordered separately off ebay) are this "type" of remote (with the transponder soldered onto the circuit board).

ANYWAYS. Haha, thanks for the suggestion! Can't wait to get down that way!
post #12 of 23 Old 12-10-2014, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

Simple answer. Some dealers want to make more money by selling you their key. Some give you the BS story about the metal being too hard on the aftermarket keys.
post #13 of 23 Old 12-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Put that cookie down! NOW

As a Honda parts counter guy, that is pure grade A 100% choice prime rib roast BS. We cut keys as long as you provide a legitimate registration card of your vehicle. Cutting fee is $10, well for us anyways.

2010 ACCORD EXL-V6 Sedan (Ricer Car)
2007 FIT SPORT (Race Car)
post #14 of 23 Old 12-11-2014, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

Before I got my code cutter, a friend at the dealer would cut my keys for $5-10 bucks. Others he would not cut unless they bought key there. It all depends who you talk to at the parts counter
post #15 of 23 Old 12-31-2014, 06:11 PM
Just got my 11 EX sedan!

tookl my flip key to my honda dealer. 5 min later he came out with my key cut. asked how much. he said have a nice day. i said thanks.

2011 Accord 4 door EX
4 cylinder
5 speed/OD A/T
31,245 miles

Traded in
2005 Accord 4 door EX
4 Cylinder
5 speed/OD A/T
98,000 + miles
Purchased 28 Oct 2013 and as requested by RickBlaine took possession at 5:35 PM LOL! SERIOUSLY. I had to sign my name stating the time i took possession of her!

Retired
'91 Accord Wagon LX
4 cylinder
4 speed A/T
136,000 + miles
Advertisement

Tags
aftermarket, cutting, key, key fob, locksmith

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.