Shuddering/Shaking when driving (worse when braking) - Drive Accord Honda Forums |
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 10-31-2014, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
My First Post

Shuddering/Shaking when driving (worse when braking)

Hey guys, I've been looking for a solution for 3 weeks now, but have found none. I drive a 2011 Honda Accord LX. It has 55k miles on it, and the only maintenance I've done on it is changed rear brake pads at 23k miles. And of course, the routine oil changes and tire rotations.

EDIT: I currently use 215/60 R16 Optimo H724 tires. I bought them on December 20th, 2013.

tl;dr: Steering wheel would shake violently when going 70-80mph, switched out all 4 rotors (warped) and brake pads, now steering wheel doesn't shake, but the car shudders mildly while driving and moderately while braking (even light braking, worse when hard braking). I had my car aligned and tires balanced as well. Any tips?

The details:
My car had warped rotors, so whenever I drove at 70-80mph and stepped on the brakes, the steering wheel would violently shake left to right, and my brake pedal would feel like it was fighting against me. I had all 4 rotors and brake pads replaced by a mechanic friend who has worked for Nissan in service for 20 years. I'm not sure this is relevant, but the road leading up to his house is purely dirt, and reminds me of the rumble strips/treads on the freeway when you veer off the road. It's a long road, so I'm thinking something may have caused an issue, a loose part or something, not sure.

Once he replaced them, the first day felt normal, braking and driving was OK. The next morning, I started to notice a moderate shudder whenever I braked. The brakes feel good though, they're very responsive. Reaching speeds of 60-80mph doesn't shake my steering wheel anymore. I'm assuming the warped rotors was the cause of my steering wheel shake. But I never had regular shudder/shake before I replaced my brakes and rotors.

My friend recommended I take my car in for a balance, tire rotation and wheel alignment at either Honda or Goodyear, as he couldn't do it for me at Nissan. I thought an alignment would be unnecessary because my car wasn't veering left or right. Letting the wheel go would produce a straight affect, but what do I know. I took my car to Goodyear for the balance and rotation since I bought my tires there, and took it to Honda for the alignment. None of these options worked. A few days ago I started to feel the car shudder while I was driving. Either it's been happening since the replacement of brakes/rotors, or this is a new development within the last few days.

I'm at a loss. I don't want to spend more unnecessary money. Honda insists I do another balance for $50 at their own store. Goodyear wants to inspect my car for troubles for $50. I'm already $300 down the drain for everything thus far, so I need something more concrete to spend my money on instead of guesses.

Please let me know if you guys need any further information. I appreciate the help. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm completely a newbie here.

post #2 of 3 Old 11-01-2014, 04:03 AM
Running NYC

hmm it could be many many things, about your brake rotors being warped might consider your braking habits, bad braking will warp your rotors! also all brakes should be bedded in or else you will have the issue again! as you brake you leave deposits on the rotor. if not bedded in those deposits will not be laid down evenly hence your shudder when you are braking.

read here "all brake pads must be bedded-in with the rotor they will be used against to maximize brake performance. The bedding-in process involves a gradual build up of heat in the rotors and pad compound. This process will lay down a thin layer of transfer film on to the rotor surface. Following the bed-in procedures provided by the manufacturer will assure a smooth, even layer of transfer film on the rotor and will minimize brake judder."

most of the procedures involves getting up to speed and doing hard braking but not stopping. this for example is hawks procedure

"After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop.When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is complete"

Also I highly doubt some loose rocks did some damage to cause your problem unless it was a huge boulder lol. And If you got a balance, was it a Hunter road force balance? if it wasn't id go get one. It was the only machine that could properly balance out my wheels!

2008 Accord Sedan V6
Satin Red Full dip Morimoto h1 quad retrofit(HIDILLUSIONZ)
4300k low 3000k fogs
Demon eye projector mod
JDM Badges Front/Back
Acura TL-SHAWD IM cover
28% tint all around
Switchblade Key
Takeda SRI/Magnaflow Cat-Back
Megan racing test pipe
Hawk 5.0 pads
Stoptech drilled/slotted rotors
Led signal upgrades
19x8.5 TSW Rotary forged Interlagos
Adaptec 15mm custom spacers on rear
Tein Basis coils 2" drop
19MM Acura TL rear sway bar
post #3 of 3 Old 11-01-2014, 12:00 PM
3rd Gear

I had my tires balanced after I bought my car used a few months ago and I still had a shimmy on the highway. I bought a new set a few weeks ago due to a bulge in one of the old tires and everything balanced perfectly after that.

They say that if your front tires need a balance you'll feel it in the steering wheel. And if it's the rear ones you'll feel it in the car's body. Not sure if you saw any changes with your regular rotations. Good luck!

accord, brakes, honda, rotors, shaking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.