Add Hood Struts - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 12-21-2008, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Add Hood Struts

Search feature did not really reveal anything.

Just curious if it is possible to add the gas charged hood support struts to my EX instead of using the prop rod. I hate the prop rod thing!

I know the v6 has the hood struts, and if it is a bolt on type of modification, I may consider purchasing them and installing them. If it requires drilling and such, then I am not interested.

I am wondering if those who have the struts could maybe post a pic. Or others to comment that know for sure whether it may or may not work. I can see on the hood it has holes for what I assume is the strut install, but can't seem to see anything on the fender that would look like the bottom part of the strut would bolt to. I am also wondering if some type of hood re-enforcement was used as well.

If it's a pain, then I won't, but if it is a bolt on type thing, then I am definitely interested. Thanks, YD

2009 EX 4 cyl, Auto Sedan, Polished metal metallic.
VW Passat convert, won't miss it at all.
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

I believe this came up before. As I recall the base where the strut mounts is not existant on the EX and would have to be fabricated and either drilled/bolted or welded into place. I'm not 100% positive so please let's hear from others here.

post #3 of 20 Old 12-21-2008, 08:24 AM
banned

They make many aftermarket Hood prop kits. Most are universal mounts, some are vehicle specific. I have no clue where to find them, but Google does.

Make sure and know the raw weight of our hood before searching for pneumatic rods, I know most are weight specific at least, reasonably so.

post #4 of 20 Old 12-21-2008, 08:34 AM
1st Gear

30 bucks a piece on Hondapartsdeals.com. need the hood hinges also at 9 bucks a pop .
Diagram shows 1 bolt at the bottom of the strut, 2 for the hinge and one to attach top of strut to hinge.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
I believe this came up before. As I recall the base where the strut mounts is not existant on the EX and would have to be fabricated and either drilled/bolted or welded into place. I'm not 100% positive so please let's hear from others here.
It did come up before, I recall it was a red color car, and I wanted to say it was Schu or Mschu, but I am not sure and unable to find the thread.

Whoever it was made two custom brackets for this purpose.

Perhaps a more exhausive search by someone else can turn up this thread.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-21-2008, 08:52 AM
4th Gear

I think it was from the member TheQ, but I am not positive about it. And yes he did have to custom fabricate the lower mounts.

Here is the link to the thread.
V6 Coupe owners, I need your help!!

08 NightHawk Coupe. I4 AT EX-L - Purchased 10-13-07 - Debadge Revolution!

Last edited by LateNites; 12-21-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: found the link
post #7 of 20 Old 12-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Good job finding it !!

So at least I remembered correctly the red car MSchu posted pictures for.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

post #8 of 20 Old 12-21-2008, 09:36 AM
2009 EX-L Taffeta & Ivory

Why bother is my response! While I don't care for the hood prop rod, I am rarely under the hood anyway.

2009 Accord EX-L (Taffeta/Ivory) w/XM radio and 6 CD player

2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL (Silver/Grey)
post #9 of 20 Old 12-21-2008, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

OK, thanks for posting that thread. It is just what I was looking for.

Still not sure if I would drill holes like in that thread, but it does seem like a good solid install. Very nicely done.

I suppose the only other option and I think the original poster mentioned it sort of, would be to bond the bracket on. He mentioned JB Weld, but, if the bracket was really glued on (instead of welded) at the factory, it was probably a polyurethane type panel adhesive that so many of the manufacturer's are using now.

Needless to say, bolting would require drilling, and adhesive would require sanding down to the bare metal before applying the adhesive. I am not really willing to do either of those right now. Probably because the car is still new, maybe when the thrill of new car has worn off.

To bad it wasn't a direct bolt on, or I would be all over it. Thanks, YD

post #10 of 20 Old 12-21-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Well, I just went out to the garage to look at the potential for this modification, and for the first time I noticed that there is a second position for the prop rod which does allow for the hood to be put in a near vertical position.

Not sure if this is old news or not, but it is to the left on the hood towards the windshield (when standing their looking at the engine from the front of the car).

The prop rod swivels to allow you to move it to the other receiving hole in the hood (square hole).

Just thought I would share this info as the link to the strut install post mentions that this feature is not available. YD

post #11 of 20 Old 12-21-2008, 01:55 PM
banned

wow, i never noticed the second prop hole, gooood job Yankee. I feel safer with it more vertical. I love opening the hood. all that metal and the smell of oil.....yummy

does anybody else love the smell of gasoline and tires?
post #12 of 20 Old 12-23-2008, 04:25 PM
4th Gear

Mine has gas struts. I'm confused!

2008 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan w/ Navi White Diamond
post #13 of 20 Old 12-23-2008, 04:26 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbassett74 View Post
Mine has gas struts. I'm confused!
That's because you have a V6

2008 RBP Honda Accord Sedan LX-P, 5AT

Mods
OEM: Wing Spoiler, Side Molding, Splash Guards, V6 front bumper with coupe fog light covers
Non-OEM: Toshiba HIR Lows, Chrome Door Pillars, Blue LED interior lights, White LED trunk and plate lights, Autozone chrome grille, lower bumper, and trunk trim, V-LEDs tail/brake light LED bulbs
post #14 of 20 Old 12-23-2008, 10:00 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to morcheez
im waiting for redlinetuning to make some for the 08....they make them for the 03-07 as of now....i had some on my 05 toyota tacoma...pretty easy install and wiht a group buy i paid like 50 bucks ...maybe if enough people show interest they would make some for our application
check them out ...and by the way i am not affiliated with them at all kinda sounds like it though

08 ASM Coupe i4/ tint / lip spoiler / 6k hids / 20" verde chaos 45mm offset 255/35 nitto nt555 / eibach pro kit / autozone grille mod / weathertech floor liners / clarion touchscreen / tsx key / trunk liner/ dual exhaust, v-leds white&amber turn bulbs/ fog lights w nokya 2500 bulbs/ odyssey lower grill/ custom wall in trunk/ 35&20 tint/black roof/ color matched grill and rear "H"
post #15 of 20 Old 12-24-2008, 05:06 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee dog View Post
Well, I just went out to the garage to look at the potential for this modification, and for the first time I noticed that there is a second position for the prop rod which does allow for the hood to be put in a near vertical position.

Not sure if this is old news or not, but it is to the left on the hood towards the windshield (when standing their looking at the engine from the front of the car).

The prop rod swivels to allow you to move it to the other receiving hole in the hood (square hole).

Just thought I would share this info as the link to the strut install post mentions that this feature is not available. YD
Yes, I saw that second prop hole to after giving car look over first weeks, AFAIK other Gen have it too. It definitely makes getting to back of engine/firewall easier.
To bad V6 can't do it with struts, would make working on back bank easier.

Ed

2008 Accord LX, Alabaster Silver Metallic
gone 1985 XR4Ti
gone 1974 Opel Manta rally
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.