Maintance Minder & Using Synthetic Oil - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 11-14-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Maintance Minder & Using Synthetic Oil

Ok, so its almost time for my second oil change. Im currently at about 10k, my MM says 20% oil life, and im considering using synthetic over dino oil since i do a lot of city driving and commuting. Im hoping that since ill be using synthetic, my oil changing intervals will be a little farther apart, so far they are at about 5-6k. will this be true? is it that much of a difference? Another thing that ive been thinking about is this...ive read in the manual that our MM works on our driving style and will let us know when its the best time to change our oil. but if i add synthetic will it know? does it go by how clean the oil still is or how does that work? sorry about all the questions but im pretty new at using synthetic oils and dont want to spend more money on synthetic and have to change the oil at the same intervals of 5k because of my driving habits. anyone know???

2008 EX-L Sedan
PMM/Gray
18" Painted HFP
OEM All Weather Mats/OEM Wheel Locks/OEM Splash Guards/OEM FOGS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 PM
4th Gear

The MM assumes that you are using conventional oil. There is no way for the MM to "learn" that there is synthetic oil being used.

Ask 100 people and you will get 100 opinions/responses. From my perspective, if you are going to follow the MM, synthetic is probably the way to go. OCIs are undoubtedly going to be longer. The MM has been allowing me to go 7500 miles between oil changes. Because it is 1.5 times longer that what an actual "schedule"is (based on my 2003 LX-G), synthetic is worth the extra few dollars.

2008 Accord EX-L NAVI I-4 Sedan
* 15% tint
* LED Tailights
* All interior bulbs replaced with LED.
* PP 5W-20, Wix Oil Filter

2004 Accord EX V6 Coupe
* Cold Air Intake
* LED Taillights
* PP 5W-20, Mobil 1 Oil Filter

Used to own...
2003 Accord LX-G
1997 Saturn SC2
1993 Saturn SL1
post #3 of 17 Old 11-14-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Thanks for the help...i always follow the MM so i figure ill give synthetic a chance and see how it goes from there. hopefully ill be able to ge the same or close to the same results as you.

2008 EX-L Sedan
PMM/Gray
18" Painted HFP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old 11-14-2008, 10:35 PM

If you're going to follow the MM for oil changes, then you'll be fine with conventional.

Let's see.... you're "currently at about 10k" and your "MM says 20% oil life"... that means that you're averaging roughly 5K miles per oil change. Using synth oil for 5K mile OCI's is a waste, IMO. If you're doing 7,500+ mile OCI's then use synth.

However, if you can get synth oil for the same or close to the same price as conventional, then of course go synth.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-18-2008, 08:25 AM
3rd Gear

The MM will not adjust it's calculations if you use synethic oil. The MM is based upon driving style and other factors such as outside temp, etc. Honda's website has an explanation of this.

If your OCI (based upon the MM) is under 7K, use dino. If it is over 7k, then consider synthetic oil.

My MM signals an oil change usually around 9,500 miles because I do so much highway driving for my commute. I use synthetic oil because I have yet to find a UOA that would support using dino for that interval.

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L 2.4L 4cyl auto (sold)
2009 CR-V EX-L
2011 Accord Sedan EX-L 3.5L V6 auto
post #6 of 17 Old 11-18-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

thanks for all the help guys! im gonna change my oil next week and just stick with the dino. no sense in wasting money and using synthetic.

2008 EX-L Sedan
PMM/Gray
18" Painted HFP

post #7 of 17 Old 11-19-2008, 01:00 PM
6th Gear

Just change your oil and filter every 5,000 and you will be fine....regular or syn....Forget about the MIL
97trophy and KW2004Accord like this.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-21-2008, 12:30 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszappa1 View Post
Just change your oil and filter every 5,000 and you will be fine....regular or syn....Forget about the MIL

Nah, Honda's MM is pretty good (except maybe at the extremes), so use it.

However, if you're hell bent on changing your oil at 5K, save yourself some money and use regular 5W-20; running synthetic at that interval is a waste.

Better yet, do some UOA's and get some objective data as to when is the proper interval for your application.

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L 2.4L 4cyl auto (sold)
2009 CR-V EX-L
2011 Accord Sedan EX-L 3.5L V6 auto
post #9 of 17 Old 11-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by hispanicboi415 View Post
thanks for all the help guys! im gonna change my oil next week and just stick with the dino. no sense in wasting money and using synthetic.
If your going use dino oil. May I suggest using the MotorCraft 5w-20 semi syn. The oil is dirt cheap and one of the very best oils one can use on a dino schedule. Use a name brand filter and enjoy.

It really is very good oil and a great bang for the buck! Truth be known I should be using it in the Honda and Mazda. Im sure with all of our HWY miles. Im kind of wasting money on the M1. I use it in our Ranger. Change it once a year. The Ranger rattles on M1. Really strange.

09 HCHII,w/Navi,I4,CVT Crap,Atomic Blue/Beige,70k Miles (Dull/MPG/Quite Civic)
07 Mazda3 S Touring,I4,5MT,Purple/Charcoal,80k Miles (Civic What?)
00 Ranger Ext,XLT,I4,5MT,White/Gray,200k Miles (Thinks it's a F-150)

X, 05 Accord EX Sedan,I4,5AT,Red/Gray,89k Miles (My Fav. Accord Gen)
X, 06 Civic EX Sedan,w/Navi,I4,5MT,Silver/Gray,44k Miles (No Better Than GM Junk)

Can you save a gal. here and there then blow a half gallon playing with the tach? It can be done!
post #10 of 17 Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
If your going use dino oil. May I suggest using the MotorCraft 5w-20 semi syn. The oil is dirt cheap and one of the very best oils one can use on a dino schedule. Use a name brand filter and enjoy.

It really is very good oil and a great bang for the buck! Truth be known I should be using it in the Honda and Mazda. Im sure with all of our HWY miles. Im kind of wasting money on the M1. I use it in our Ranger. Change it once a year. The Ranger rattles on M1. Really strange.
+1 Had 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum in the Ody, everybody loves that oil so much. The J35 just straight up hated it...bad fuel economy, ran a little rougher, just wasn't as smooth over the rev range.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-30-2008, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

don't mean to be off subject here but it sorts of relates to this plus i don't saves starting a new topic.

first experience with the maintenance minder/honda cars...first oil change at 5k...used m1 oil & filter. coming up on 15k...MM reads 50%. are you supposed to change your oil when your MM reads a certain percentage?

also if you switch to syn. i'm also assuming you ignore the MM and just go by extended change intervals i.e. 10k

thanks in advance

2008 Accord Coupe - EX trim - Auto -I4 Polished Metal Metallic/Black Interior
post #12 of 17 Old 11-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Black View Post
don't mean to be off subject here but it sorts of relates to this plus i don't saves starting a new topic.

first experience with the maintenance minder/honda cars...first oil change at 5k...used m1 oil & filter. coming up on 15k...MM reads 50%. are you supposed to change your oil when your MM reads a certain percentage?

also if you switch to syn. i'm also assuming you ignore the MM and just go by extended change intervals i.e. 10k

thanks in advance
Yes (~0%, zero), and yes.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-11-2016, 10:23 AM
1st Gear

Accord 09 oil life percent vs Synthetic oil

Hi! Just wondering if the "oil life %" gauge adapts to synthetic oil.. As you know, synthetic oil will last longer than regular oil, so I would like to know if "Oil life %" will display correctly or if it will act like there is still regular oil in the engine.

Thanks!
post #14 of 17 Old 10-11-2016, 12:17 PM
pessimistic optimist

Wheres Enne? Reviving an eight year old thread has to be some kind of a record. See post #5 above for the answer to your question.

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals Killed by a dump truck 12-13-2017
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0) TL RSB well worth the wait
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter, 15mm spacers (rear) 35% tint
post #15 of 17 Old 10-11-2016, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

somebody moved my post here

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.