need some info on resetting tpms - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

need some info on resetting tpms

Went to a honda dealership and started asking questions about the tpms system..(never having this on a vehicle before) I wanted to know what kind of tool it takes to reset the light or reprogram 4 different sensors.I was told it takes a special Honda tool to do this... Dont believe that for one minute..
thanks for the help.. ja-quan

Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-04-2008, 05:18 PM
I snapped my G string....

Send a message via Yahoo to Honda247 Send a message via Skype™ to Honda247
It does take a special tool, however any tire shop can reprogram the TPMS for u. How much that cost i don'y know.

2009 Civic EX TW
K&N Drop in Filter (33-2342)
Eibach SportLines (4.3140)
Apexcone Raptor V2 35W 5000K HIDs (9006)
Nokyas Hyper Yellow Stage1 2500k High/DRL (9005)
Nokyas Hyper Yellow Stage1 2500k Fogs (H11)
Painted Engine Cover

FRANCI5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 30 Old 11-04-2008, 05:20 PM
VA6SZ

Yep, you need to go to the dealership to do this. They have a remote TPMS receiver that must be taken into close proximity of each wheel and have the sensor read into this unit. Then it has to be plugged into the ECM port and the info read onto the ECM. If you don't have sensors or have different pressures in the tire that are different than what's programmed into the ECM, then the dash lamp will illuminate and the VSM program will enable. The VSM will stay on as long as the ECM detects a different pressure then what is programmed into it. I do not know of any aftermarket tool that performs this function yet.
I changed my factory 18" wheels to the HFP 19" wheels and the TPMS sensors had a different presssure then the original ones. My VSM program enabled and the engine mis-fired (as it's supposed to do) and the ABS braking system engaged under medium to heavy stops.

#1:
2008 NHB Accord EX-L 3.5L 6MT
HFP 19" wheels Goodyear F-1
HFP Body Kit
HFP Suspension Kit
#2:
2008 SMR Accord EX-L 3.5L 5AT

post #4 of 30 Old 11-04-2008, 05:25 PM
VA6SZ

sorry, hit the post button too quickly...

I had the dealer read the new sensors and programmed the info into the ECM and the VSA(M) disengaged. The costs to me were waived by my dealer because I purchased the HFP wheels from their parts dept.. But here in Canada, I was told that this procedure was worth $125 to perform. (Wow!)

#1:
HFP Body Kit
HFP Suspension Kit
#2:
post #5 of 30 Old 11-04-2008, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear

Yes like Honda 247 said. My 02 on the TPMS yes a great saftey feature but a pain in the butt when that TPMS light is on inparticular when you know your tire pressure is OK ( I go through the procedure when I switch from summer to winter wheels even if the wheel go on the same location as it came off)
post #6 of 30 Old 11-04-2008, 06:00 PM
On hiatus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewClarke View Post
...and the engine mis-fired (as it's supposed to do)...
Uh, no. The VSA system does nothing with engine timing or engine management.

2011 Pilot EX-L AWD
2010 Corolla LE
2008 Goldwing Navi
post #7 of 30 Old 11-04-2008, 06:14 PM
VA6SZ

Uh, yes it does. When the VSA is engaged, it will mis-fire the engine under high loading. And it is meant to do this. It also works in concert with the ABS system and will engage it under medium to heavy braking.
The VSA program does this to offset "unstable" situations that occur when drivers lose control (or are about to).

#1:
HFP Body Kit
HFP Suspension Kit
#2:
post #8 of 30 Old 11-04-2008, 06:31 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Yep, you need to go to the dealership to do this. They have a remote TPMS receiver that must be taken into close proximity of each wheel and have the sensor read into this unit. Then it has to be plugged into the ECM port and the info read onto the ECM. If you don't have sensors or have different pressures in the tire that are different than what's programmed into the ECM, then the dash lamp will illuminate and the VSM program will enable. The VSM will stay on as long as the ECM detects a different pressure then what is programmed into it. I do not know of any aftermarket tool that performs this function yet.
I changed my factory 18" wheels to the HFP 19" wheels and the TPMS sensors had a different presssure then the original ones. My VSM program enabled and the engine mis-fired (as it's supposed to do) and the ABS braking system engaged under medium to heavy stops.
Could u tell me how much to reset the TPMS from dealer....
post #9 of 30 Old 11-04-2008, 06:35 PM
VA6SZ

Dealer cost in Canada...

See below...

Quote:
sorry, hit the post button too quickly...

I had the dealer read the new sensors and programmed the info into the ECM and the VSA(M) disengaged. The costs to me were waived by my dealer because I purchased the HFP wheels from their parts dept.. But here in Canada, I was told that this procedure was worth $125 to perform. (Wow!)

#1:
HFP Body Kit
HFP Suspension Kit
#2:
post #10 of 30 Old 11-05-2008, 05:16 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Uh, yes it does. When the VSA is engaged, it will mis-fire the engine under high loading. And it is meant to do this. It also works in concert with the ABS system and will engage it under medium to heavy braking.

You sure about that statement...
post #11 of 30 Old 11-05-2008, 05:41 AM
8th Gen Audio Expert

Send a message via AIM to JamieJam1AIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
You sure about that statement...
He is correct! when the VSA is engaged you cant do a burnout or spin your wheels ( at least in an automatic tranny) and the brake assist keeps the vehicle stability in check Ive had it screw with me a few times in tighter higher speed turns on the track at homestead speedway when I tried to push the envelope a little its annoying cause I lost a little speed and acceleration going through the apex of some of the corners hot.

"The Black Widow Accord" SOLD!!!!!!
"Team Hybrids" Hybrid Audio Technologies & JL Audio Sponsored Sound Quality Competitor.

2011-12-13 IASCA Amateur "North American Champion"
2011 IASCA Amateur Sound Quality, (RUNNER UP)"North American Championships"
IASCA 2012-13 Spring Break Nationals SQC Amateur Champion
IASCA 2011-12-13 Spring Break Nationals Install Amateur Champion
2012 IASCA Competitor of the Year
2012 IASCA Triple Crown Champion
Mods:
Full S/Q Competition AudioSystem
post #12 of 30 Old 11-05-2008, 06:46 AM
4th Gear

Here is a tool you can buy. Not cheap.

It would cost $45 to get it programmed from my dealership.

'08 Accord V6 AT w/Navi PMM
18" Enkei EM3K wheels
Venture Shield Clear Bra
post #13 of 30 Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 AM
4th Gear

Maybe you guys are talking about something different, but I thought the TPMS light would turn off as soon as you put more air in the tires. Are you saying if I accidentally let my tire pressure drop, I have to go to the dealership to get the light turned off?

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L 5 speed w/o Navi
Alabaster Silver Metalic
20% Tint all around
4300K HID Headlights
Alpine IVA-W505
Alpine MRP-F300 4-Channel amp pushing
JBL GTO627 6-1/2" 2-ways (rear deck)
JBL GTO607C 6-1/2" (fronts)
Alpine MRP-M450 amp pushing a
Kicker TCVT122 12" sub
post #14 of 30 Old 11-05-2008, 07:02 AM
4th Gear

You only have to goto the dealer to get the sensors calibrated if you have separate sensors for your winter tires and summer tires. Or if you buy new sensors. Basically the ECU can only keep 4 sensors mapped. So if you put on winter tires and bought sensors specifically for your winter wheels you will need to get them calibrated so your ECU can recognize them. When you put your summers back in you will then need to get those calibrated. So basically twice a year.

Me and a buddy of mine will be splitting the cost for a calibration device like the one linked in my post above. It will pay for itself after a couple years.

'08 Accord V6 AT w/Navi PMM
18" Enkei EM3K wheels
Venture Shield Clear Bra
post #15 of 30 Old 11-05-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

so if you have two sets of rims with a sets of sensor in each, you will need a scan tool to reprogram??? Or just a tpms tool.. I was to understand the tpms tool sends out a radio signal to vcm to begin reprogram after the 4 new sensors a logged in the tool..Is this correct?
I would rather spend the money for the tool than pay twice a year. thanks

08 coupe EX-L V6 MT
hfp rims
magnaflow exhaust
H&R springs
SPC camber kit
takeda SRI
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.