High Mileage V6 Coupe - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

High Mileage V6 Coupe

Hello all, I've lurked for quite a while, but now I stand the chance to purchase a Honda of my own. It is an 08 M6 V6 with 177k miles. It is from a dealership so there is some assurance of pre-inspection, warranty, etc. I've read up on the 8th gen V6s and for the most part gather that they are very durable if well maintained. They are asking about $8.5k out the door after all the fees. The interior and exterior are in relatively good shape, with the only noticeable areas of wear on the driver's seat.

Since the car is only six years old, is it safe to assume that most of the miles are highway miles? Is such high mileage a thing to be concerned about in this circumstance?

This is my first time buying a car from a dealer, so how much wiggle room is there in terms of bargaining?

Should I drop an additional $1.5k or so for an Si with about 120k on the clock from a private seller?

Thanks for all your help; I hope to join the family soon!

Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-28-2014, 09:24 PM
8th Gen 6-6 Red Coupe

That's Crazy! I got my 2008 Honda Accord V6 couple for 9k with only 80k miles from a dealer.. I'd shop somewhere else if I were you.

post #3 of 6 Old 08-29-2014, 02:10 AM
Running NYC

I agree that number is pretty inflated being that its a 08 and has 177k on the dash! Id pass it up and continue searching.

2008 Accord Sedan V6
Satin Red Full dip Morimoto h1 quad retrofit(HIDILLUSIONZ)
4300k low 3000k fogs
Demon eye projector mod
JDM Badges Front/Back
Acura TL-SHAWD IM cover
Debadged
28% tint all around
Switchblade Key
Takeda SRI/Magnaflow Cat-Back
Megan racing test pipe
Hawk 5.0 pads
Stoptech drilled/slotted rotors
Led signal upgrades
19x8.5 TSW Rotary forged Interlagos
Adaptec 15mm custom spacers on rear
Tein Basis coils 2" drop
19MM Acura TL rear sway bar

post #4 of 6 Old 08-29-2014, 02:31 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchia View Post
Hello all, I've lurked for quite a while, but now I stand the chance to purchase a Honda of my own. It is an 08 M6 V6 with 177k miles. It is from a dealership so there is some assurance of pre-inspection, warranty, etc. I've read up on the 8th gen V6s and for the most part gather that they are very durable if well maintained. They are asking about $8.5k out the door after all the fees. The interior and exterior are in relatively good shape, with the only noticeable areas of wear on the driver's seat.

Since the car is only six years old, is it safe to assume that most of the miles are highway miles? Is such high mileage a thing to be concerned about in this circumstance?

This is my first time buying a car from a dealer, so how much wiggle room is there in terms of bargaining?

Should I drop an additional $1.5k or so for an Si with about 120k on the clock from a private seller?

Thanks for all your help; I hope to join the family soon!
link to the car on autotrader:

i don't know what they put on the seats, but it looks like crap. i would look closely and see if they are trying to hide something.

there are only 4 V6 coupes for sale, withing a 200 mile radious of you (under $10k). apparently they are holding their value well. seems high to me, though. when i was in houston last summer, i did notice they seemed quite popular (rarely see one where i live).

looks like the 2nd owner drove it 40k miles a year according to the carfax. that's 109 miles/day every day. not sure how one does that

any service records? timing belt been changed? are they offering any kind of warranty?

i think your only negotiating point is the car has been for sale since april. seller - texas carz - looks sketchy to me because the ad says 'fresh trade', when it was actually traded at vandergraff chevy in april then moved to another vandergraff and eventually to this texas cars place in august. i assume texas carz bought it at auction.

final thought: are you financing this? your payment may be similar for a new one, given interest rates are always better on new. granted, you'll be paying longer, though.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-29-2014, 09:31 AM
Honda Nation

Yeah stay away from this one unfortunately. It's a great car that more than likely was driven hard. Without maintenance records don't touch it. Chances are the timing belt was in fact changed when required since it does have 177,000 miles and it's still running, but who knows? Who knows how much life you have left in the clutch? Brakes? Have to wonder..... then at that mileage you'd have to inspect the CV boots, suspension components, bushings, etc.

Interior looks like garbage. Mine is this exact car as a 2009, same color and everything. Not only do the seats look nasty but the gearshift knob is all twisted backwards and the shift boot is wrapped around. Not sure if someone was just playing with it or if it was taken apart and put back together wrong, but a reputable dealer would know that details need to be perfect when taking pictures to sell a car and would make sure that gear shift was perfectly straight.

If it went through a few hands through trade in and then auction, it's a $5,000 car max. That's out the door, TTL. They probably paid $3500 for it.

May 2009 - Present: 2009 Accord V6 6 MT coupe w/o nav, Alabaster Silver

Dec. 1999 - May 2010: 2000 Prelude 5 MT, sold with 220,000 miles and still running great - gone, but not forgotten
post #6 of 6 Old 09-01-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. Can't believe I was considering this at one point. This place is great! I'll keep looking with everything said in mind.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.