A13 Service - Question on Transmission Fluid Change - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

A13 Service - Question on Transmission Fluid Change

I have a 2011 Black EX-L approaching 60K mikles (bought used with 49K on it back in February). The MM came on today with the A13 service.

I can do the oil and rotation myself - the the fluid change I am confused on.

Should I just do the three quart swap and be done with it? Should I do the filter? Is this the 3x3 quart swap at 60K?

The dealership quoted me 118 for all three which I read is not bad but would rather do it myself because I am comfortable doing it - I am just trying to figure out WHAT I should be doing...

HELP!

Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-15-2014, 12:40 PM
5th Gear

I myself do a drain and fill every spring for the tranny for my 08 EX-L. Done it 3 years, no problem. Others do the 3 x 3. Fairly simple job, as easy as changing your own oil.

The filter, I don't think it's serviceable easily, but I'll let others here speak on that.

post #3 of 12 Old 08-15-2014, 01:23 PM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
The automatic 4 cylinder has an ATF inline filter- very easy to get to and change. The V6 automatic also has a filter, but it is not "inline".

You did not say which engine you have, nor is it in your signature.

If you do not know the maintenance history of your car, nor how it was driven, then I would suggest 3 drain and fill procedures spaced out several miles at a time. Can be done in one day- just make sure you hit all gears so that the torque converter can mix the new with the old.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)

post #4 of 12 Old 08-15-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Sorry, it is the 4-Cylinder.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-15-2014, 06:13 PM

No need to be sorry, friend....it is just that the more info the better. You may want to create a signature, as well as add your location city in the upper right corner (cars act differently in the mountains of Colorado vs. plains of Illinois vs. heat of Arizona vs. cold of Maine vs. humidity of Hawaii etc etc....)

Here is a link we created for the 7th gen. So You Just Bought A 7th Generation Accord

It has the part numbers you need, and the best write-ups. The 7th and 8th Gen engines are essentially the same.

I would suggest 9 quarts of DW-1, a new crush washer, and the inline filter. You put 11,000 miles on your car in 7 months, so after your 3 D&F procedures, you could probably just do 1 D&F procedure every year after that. Filter can wait another 3 years after this one.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
post #6 of 12 Old 08-18-2014, 10:13 AM
2011 SE i4

Crush Washer Size

Anyone know the size and spec (MIL spec) for the ATF drain crush washer? I've searched all the old files, and can't find the size required. Thanks.

2011 SE i4
post #7 of 12 Old 08-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Car so nice, bought twice

Pretty sure 18mm is the outside diameter though. I have a bunch in the garage so I can measure one if you need to know.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to drowned12 For This Useful Post:
hiflyer1040 (08-19-2014)
post #8 of 12 Old 08-19-2014, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Thumbs down

Good news (sorta) - I went to buy the ATF fluid at the Honda Dealership I bought it from and asked the service advisor what had been done to my car before I bought it in February.

Turns out they did the ATF Fluid change (the 3x3 - I saw the service history) as well as the coolant flush and some other maintenance. Basically, he said they did the 60k maintenance at 49K. It's in there today getting an oil change (for free - first one since I bought it).

So - now, he tries to sell me some Fuel System Flush/Clean (some two step process that costs 210 dollars). My car is running great - any thoughts on this?

2014 LX Accord - White Orchid Pearl - 19K miles

Living it up in the Triad of the great NC
post #9 of 12 Old 08-19-2014, 08:39 AM
6th Gear

To clarify things only the 4 cylinder has a user replaceable filter. Unlike the the 7th gen the 8th gen V6 does not have an accessible filter. It's inside the trans. I know because I was properly corrected about the 8th gen V6. Since the OP has a 4 cylinder that won't affect him, but there are certainly differences between the 7th & 8th gen V6's.

Transmission Fluid Change Question

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #10 of 12 Old 08-19-2014, 08:41 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0REDSOX7 View Post
So - now, he tries to sell me some Fuel System Flush/Clean (some two step process that costs 210 dollars). My car is running great - any thoughts on this?
Tell him "no thank you".

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #11 of 12 Old 08-19-2014, 09:29 AM

The service adviser claims they did 3 complete drain and fill procedures at 49,000 miles?

Did he say that with a straight face? Or is he "confusing" 3 drain and fills with 3 quarts out and 3 quarts in? And he said they did a coolant flush? Honda calls for a drain and fill- not a flush, and that is at 110,000 miles, if I recall. Now he tries to upsell you on some BS cleaner?

Do you see a pattern here, friend?

Never negotiate with terrorists or liars.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-19-2014, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Who knows - I don't trust them anymore.

I thought the accords had a code on when to change the coolant (isn't that the "5")?

The signature was as of 8/15/14 - but good call - will update.

Trying to find a local shop I can trust instead of the dealer.

2014 LX Accord - White Orchid Pearl - 19K miles

Living it up in the Triad of the great NC
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.