My Honda Accord 2008 3.5 V6 VCM issue. Big Problem! - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Angry My Honda Accord 2008 3.5 V6 VCM issue. Big Problem!

i just got my honda accord 3.5 v6 3 months back...
this long i found out there is problem with the honda vcm setting/configuration.

On driving/crusing time, the VCM works.. it can go into VCM mode easily. although there were small jerking noticable at certain speed. This is the vcm issue NO.1

Issue No.2 is that the VCM will not be activated when the vehicle is stop, for example at traffic light. My accord will goes to 6 cylinders at 600-700rpm. And the fuel consumption during traffic jam is noticable high.

Since there is no high power/torque require during vehicle stop.. why wont it goes into VCM with 3 cylinders and save most fuel? isnt this non-sense to run V6 when you are stopping, and run 3 cyclinder when you are crusing instead??

alright.. honda want to save fuel when driving...
but .. waste fuel when stopping... wat a genius

anyone know how to force the car to go into vcm when stopping mode? buzz me pls...

Honda Accord 2008 3.5 V6 VCM SOHC.
Problem: VCM not activated on vehicle stop. Fuel consumption very high during traffic jam!!
Solution Wanted: How to force vcm to use 3 cylinders on vehicle stop mode???
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 01:27 AM
4th Gear

The VCM system is designed so you will use the least amount of fuel possible when you are cruising at a constant speed. The engine idles on all 6 cyls because is to give you the much needed torque to proplle the car from stop to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles2008 View Post
this long i found out there is problem with the honda vcm setting/configuration.

On driving/crusing time, the VCM works.. it can go into VCM mode easily. although there were small jerking noticable at certain speed. This is the vcm issue NO.1

Issue No.2 is that the VCM will not be activated when the vehicle is stop, for example at traffic light. My accord will goes to 6 cylinders at 600-700rpm. And the fuel consumption during traffic jam is noticable high.

Since there is no high power/torque require during vehicle stop.. why wont it goes into VCM with 3 cylinders and save most fuel? isnt this non-sense to run V6 when you are stopping, and run 3 cyclinder when you are crusing instead??

anyone know how to force the car to go into vcm when stopping mode? buzz me pls...

08 Accord PMM Sedan EX-L V6 AT
09 TSX 17mm RSB upgrade
iPod Redwine audio mod
Kicker zx300.1 with kicker crv12
Cliford 50.5X alarm
post #3 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 01:34 AM
2nd Gear

I don't see how this is a "big problem". I am sure most people want a lot of power to get up and go from a complete stop hence the reason why Honda build it that way. They don't build a car to please a single person. You're buying a high horsepower high performance version of the accord, maybe you should get the 4 cylinder manual version instead if you're concerned about gas milage. Or get the toyota prius or civic hybrid, they don't have a lot of go from a stop but get 45+ mpg.

If I bought a 3.5 v6 accord with tons of power, you won't see me complaining about gas milage since I know what I am getting myself into. I'll be happy to get 24mpg with 268hp on tap at any moment.

post #4 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 01:36 AM
5th Gear

Yeah, I've noticed that too, i.e. it doesn't turn VCM on at low revs, but agree with jayknight's comment that it needs the extra torque to get the car off the line.

I'm sure we'll be complaining about the car being too heavy off the time, and struggling to keep up with rivals/competitors once it engages into 3 cylinder mode at stops...

'08 Honda Accord Coupe V6, AT, San Marino Red, black 'leather' interior/ HFP under spoilers (front-rear-sides)

Mods:
Voltage stabilizer kit, with additional ground wires
Bosch 35W-6000 HID kit for the low beams,
Magnaflow CFE # 16817
Nokia 500 Navigation unit
Intake resonator removed
11-row engine oil cooler with steel braided lines
11-row transmission oil cooler with Honda inline ATF filter
post #5 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 01:43 AM
2nd Gear

Also the car will run like crap with 3 cylinders at a stop. Try pulling 3 spark plugs wire and start the car up. LOL.

3 cylinders will not pull 3500lbs car + driver. It'll put a lot of strain on the transmission and will kill it.
post #6 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 07:11 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles2008 View Post

Go return you car to the dealer, and get a geo metro.
post #7 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 07:13 AM
4th Gear

I dont see the point to this thread..lol

2008 Accord Sedan V6 w/Navi PMM
post #8 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 07:33 AM
5th Gear

Lets be more gentle fellas...

OP: these are very MINOR problems and what you are looking for is called a HYBRID. There is no engine with variable cams/active displacement/etc. that allows the driver to manual select which mode to be in or stay in.

As far as VCM... I think it there is an equal amount of give and take... which in the end cancels pretty much ALL the benefits of VCM.

+1. When cruising at 80mph with VCM on four cyclinders you get 28-31mpg.
-1. When at 80mpg and want to accelerate, a SLIGHT pressing of the throttle and the mpg drops to as low as 19mpg.
+2. When coasting to a stop, VCM stays on and you achieve more fuel efficiencey.
-2. When accelerating from a stop, due to the lack of low end torgue, more power is needed off the line as opposed to a 6-6 setup.
+3 VCM is seemless and very transperant in its operation.
-3 VCM is NOT seemless when it turns off and the transmission downshifts at the same time. (there is a VERY noticeable shudder and delay)
+4 VCM is a complex sophisticated system.
-4 VCM is a COMPLEX system - meaning VERY limited performance modifications.

I have also found that similar mileage can be obtain with a maunal if you shift early on... AGAIN - kinda wishing I wouldve waited for a manual....

2008 Honda Accord EXL w/ Nav. V6 Coupe NBP
Modifications:
Retro Solutions 55W 5000k HID KIT
V-LED interior and exterior
3M 20% Tints

OLD RIDES:
2006 BMW 330i
2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited
1998 Inifnit Q45
post #9 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 07:34 AM
banned

geeeez, why is everyone so hostile??? OP had a valid question and point....explain to him why it is this way, don't preach or admonish. this is an educational site guys......OP, i am sure you see the reason VCM works how it does now.
post #10 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondondada View Post
why is everyone so hostile???
Maybe becuase of the title??? If he wanted attention, he got the wrong one. Later.
JC
post #11 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroze View Post
Also the car will run like crap with 3 cylinders at a stop. Try pulling 3 spark plugs wire and start the car up. LOL.

3 cylinders will not pull 3500lbs car + driver. It'll put a lot of strain on the transmission and will kill it.

I don't see how reduced engine power (engine in 3 cyl mode) will kill the transmission. Care to explain??????

Mark - Retired automotive lighting engineer
14 Accord Touring V6 Sedan

2014 Audi S4 | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

Gone but not forgotten :97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB
post #12 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 09:07 AM
5th Gear

I think the VCM is too complicated of a system (which could lead to problems) and I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable having it in a vehicle I own. Plus, I'd be concerned w/ long-term engine wear w/ cylinders always shutting down and reactivating.

According to Honda's site's MPG numbers and fueleconomy.gov, it does seem to be making a fairly dramatic impact, though.

His: '09 Grigio Metallic/Ebony TSX Tech, Auto

Hers: '07 Graphite/Ebony TSX Base, Auto
post #13 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 12:19 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESHBG View Post
I think the VCM is too complicated of a system (which could lead to problems) and I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable having it in a vehicle I own. Plus, I'd be concerned w/ long-term engine wear w/ cylinders always shutting down and reactivating.

According to Honda's site's MPG numbers and fueleconomy.gov, it does seem to be making a fairly dramatic impact, though.
The cylinders dont shut down. The valves just stay shut preventing detonation. Therefore there is no difference in wear between cylinders.

2008 Honda Accord EXL w/ Nav. V6 Coupe NBP
Modifications:
Retro Solutions 55W 5000k HID KIT
V-LED interior and exterior
3M 20% Tints

OLD RIDES:
2006 BMW 330i
2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited
1998 Inifnit Q45
post #14 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 12:35 PM
6th Gear

I fail to see the problem. For a fairly heavy car with a 3.5 pumping out 270hp, the accord gets some good mileage. Good luck launching with 3 cylinders activated. If you wanted better MPG, you could have bought the I4 or another car at the expense of performance. VCM brings you the closest you can get to having your cake and eating it, too.

2008 NBP EX Coupe | 5000k HIDs | LED interior/reverse | Harmon Kardon Ipod Interface | 35% tints | Hyper Yellow DRL | LED Halo Fogs | Silverstar Turn Signals | Chrome Grille Strips/Mesh lower grille | Taillight Tint
post #15 of 42 Old 10-11-2008, 01:38 PM
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV

Those people who bought a V6 accord, please stop whining about the MPG! You shoulda bought a I4! End of discussion. Unless of course if you are getting worse than Honda's claimed MPG even if you drive like a grandma.

08 Accord V6 Coupe Auto NAV PMM/Black

Haves:
20% Tint / 55W 5K HID / Debadged / Rebadged with HFP Emblems / No DRLs / 7th Gen Coupe Headrests / Oddyssey Lower Grill / 20" Privat Vulkans 20x8.5 45 ET / 245 35 20 Nitto Extreme ZR 555's / HFP Suspension / TSX RSB / Magnaflow CBE / Crosstour Shifter / Xpel Fog Light Film

Wants:
Rearview Camera / Hacked Navi

Previous Rides:
2000 CLK 320
1995 3000GT
1988 Supra Turbo
1982 Supra
1985 Accord
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.