Flashing Check Engine Light - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 07-18-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Flashing Check Engine Light

2008 ex-l v6. When I came to a stop light, after about a 1.5 hr trip, my car starts to sound rough. I put the car in neutral to see if I could hear any other noises and look at the lights on the dash. I see the check engine light flashing. I searched google and see this is surely a misfire. I read that there are two types of misfire. Type a and type b. type a is serious and talks about doing mechanical damage.are there two types of misfires?

Btw, if it a misfire and cylinder 2, this will be the second time in 15000 miles!

---------------------------------------------
2008 EX-L V6
No Mods...... Just got it
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-18-2014, 08:06 PM
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgiven View Post
2008 ex-l v6. When I came to a stop light, after about a 1.5 hr trip, my car starts to sound rough. I put the car in neutral to see if I could hear any other noises and look at the lights on the dash. I see the check engine light flashing. I searched google and see this is surely a misfire. I read that there are two types of misfire. Type a and type b. type a is serious and talks about doing mechanical damage.are there two types of misfires?

Btw, if it a misfire and cylinder 2, this will be the second time in 15000 miles!
flashing MIL is a catalyst damaging misfire and need immediate attention. Congratulations, your about to get yourself 3-4 new sets of piston rings! or at least start with four plugs and a software update.

have you had to update done?

-Takeda SRI
-aFe TBS+thermals
-P&P Runners
-P2R Intake Riser+thermals (1" total)
-Port-match heads (Intake Side Only)
-XLR8 V2 J-Pipe w/cat delete
-Megan Racing OE-RS Cat Back
-ZEX 50HP
-Ingalls "STIFFY" torque damper
-Cosmo Racing Short Shifter
-Slave check vlv delete
-TS shift cable bushings
-HFP susp
-TL 20mm RSB
-Megan Racing R camber+radius arms
-Smooth-On 60A Poly Filled Comp Bushings
-20mm F & 25 mm R spacers
-StopTech drilled & slotted
-Ktuner
-VitViper Tune
post #3 of 32 Old 07-19-2014, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmplex View Post
flashing MIL is a catalyst damaging misfire and need immediate attention. Congratulations, your about to get yourself 3-4 new sets of piston rings! or at least start with four plugs and a software update.

have you had to update done?
Ouch! Doesn't sound good
I started to drive to the local advanced auto and have them hook a code reader up to get the code but before I did, I called one of my mechanics. He says do not drive it any more than you have to. Not even less than 10 miles to get the code. He also said it is not a question of how long it continues to run but that it will quit at some point. I assume you mean catalytic converter when you said catalyst? I had to replace a catalytic converter on my last honda accord (2003) and it was only a piece of pipe with a filter in it? Maybe the one in the 2008 is different but how can it damage a piece of pipe and a filter? Maybe there is more than one catalytic converter on this 2008; I will google that too.

Last time I had it in for repair, they said all the updates were done. Is there a specific update for this issue?

2008 EX-L V6

post #4 of 32 Old 07-19-2014, 03:45 PM
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Ouch! Doesn't sound good
I started to drive to the local advanced auto and have them hook a code reader up to get the code but before I did, I called one of my mechanics. He says do not drive it any more than you have to. Not even less than 10 miles to get the code. He also said it is not a question of how long it continues to run but that it will quit at some point. I assume you mean catalytic converter when you said catalyst? I had to replace a catalytic converter on my last honda accord (2003) and it was only a piece of pipe with a filter in it? Maybe the one in the 2008 is different but how can it damage a piece of pipe and a filter? Maybe there is more than one catalytic converter on this 2008; I will google that too.

Last time I had it in for repair, they said all the updates were done. Is there a specific update for this issue?
your technician was right, driving with a flashing check engine light is certainly bad for the car. A flashing light, means that 1 or more of the engines cylinders is misfiring. This means that the air and fuel being introduced to one of the cylinders is not completing a burn/combustion on its power stroke. as a result raw fuel and oxygen is then expelled out of the cylinder via exhaust valves into the exhaust.

A catalyst is a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without undergoing any permanent chemical changes itself.

Your catalytic converter uses certain elements (iridium, rhodium, platinum, ect) to convert harmful combustion emissions into safe molecules. For example HC, CO, Oxides of Nitrogen are the harmful ones. The catalyst separates the molecules HC's, CO, and No2 and converts them into CO2, H20, N. This is why you see water dripping out of a tailpipe, and why hippies cry about idling cars and greenhouse gas. (CO2) LOL. I can't speak intelligently about the details of the reaction and its chemistry, but a result of the chemical reaction is heat. these converters can reach 1800 degrees F.

When you have a misfire, you not only emit un burned fuel (HC) down the pipe, but oxygen. whenever you add O2 to a high heat, volatile condition, more heat/energy skyrockets. The excessive heat will damage the elements within your cat.

As you can see, you cat isnt simply a pipe with a filter. If you have a v6 you have 3 cats. 4 cyl has 1

Your technician is wrong about your car just quitting. It wont die out on you, you'll just keep damaging it and end up giving a technician like mysel a very healthy paycheck.

the update - yes, there is a service bulletin out for your year accord whether its a 4cyl or 6. The 8th gens have excessive oil consumption and for the sake of time i wont get into why. but Honda is covering this problem, and if your misfire is related to a fouled spark plug due to oil consumption, then Honda will pay for everything. You can expect to be told that they will perform an oil change and begin an oil consumption test. they will have you return in 1000 miles EXACTLY and measure your oil level. If you have burned 1 quart or more in that allotted mileage then your gonna get new piston rings on 4 cyls on a i4, and cyls 1-3 and sometimes 1-4 on a 6 cyl.

sorry to be so long winded, but i had the impression you weren't aware of the "basics" so i thought i would explain.

-chuck

P.S. this is a good example as to why you should go to a dealer. You would already have this information and they most likely would have paid for a tow IF the failure is what is described in the Technical Service Bullitin.

-Takeda SRI
-aFe TBS+thermals
-P&P Runners
-ZEX 50HP
-Slave check vlv delete
-TS shift cable bushings
-HFP susp
-TL 20mm RSB
-Ktuner
-VitViper Tune
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crmplex For This Useful Post:
johnjohn15 (07-21-2014), Miker (07-19-2014)
post #5 of 32 Old 07-20-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmplex View Post
your technician was right, driving with a flashing check engine light is certainly bad for the car. A flashing light, means that 1 or more of the engines cylinders is misfiring. This means that the air and fuel being introduced to one of the cylinders is not completing a burn/combustion on its power stroke. as a result raw fuel and oxygen is then expelled out of the cylinder via exhaust valves into the exhaust.

A catalyst is a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without undergoing any permanent chemical changes itself.

Your catalytic converter uses certain elements (iridium, rhodium, platinum, ect) to convert harmful combustion emissions into safe molecules. For example HC, CO, Oxides of Nitrogen are the harmful ones. The catalyst separates the molecules HC's, CO, and No2 and converts them into CO2, H20, N. This is why you see water dripping out of a tailpipe, and why hippies cry about idling cars and greenhouse gas. (CO2) LOL. I can't speak intelligently about the details of the reaction and its chemistry, but a result of the chemical reaction is heat. these converters can reach 1800 degrees F.

When you have a misfire, you not only emit un burned fuel (HC) down the pipe, but oxygen. whenever you add O2 to a high heat, volatile condition, more heat/energy skyrockets. The excessive heat will damage the elements within your cat.

As you can see, you cat isnt simply a pipe with a filter. If you have a v6 you have 3 cats. 4 cyl has 1

Your technician is wrong about your car just quitting. It wont die out on you, you'll just keep damaging it and end up giving a technician like mysel a very healthy paycheck.

the update - yes, there is a service bulletin out for your year accord whether its a 4cyl or 6. The 8th gens have excessive oil consumption and for the sake of time i wont get into why. but Honda is covering this problem, and if your misfire is related to a fouled spark plug due to oil consumption, then Honda will pay for everything. You can expect to be told that they will perform an oil change and begin an oil consumption test. they will have you return in 1000 miles EXACTLY and measure your oil level. If you have burned 1 quart or more in that allotted mileage then your gonna get new piston rings on 4 cyls on a i4, and cyls 1-3 and sometimes 1-4 on a 6 cyl.

sorry to be so long winded, but i had the impression you weren't aware of the "basics" so i thought i would explain.

-chuck

P.S. this is a good example as to why you should go to a dealer. You would already have this information and they most likely would have paid for a tow IF the failure is what is described in the Technical Service Bullitin.
You're right chuck, I don't know the "basics" as I am not a car/Honda mechanic. I work in an entirely different field

So today, I start the car up and get ready to go get the code from the check engine light. Today, the check engine light is not flashing and the car is not running rough! The codes are:
P0300, P0303 and P0306

Quote:
As I stated in my first post, about 15000 miles ago I had a seriously fouled plug 2 (caked with sludge looking stuff). Replaced the plug and everything has been ok until now. So if I understand you correctly, if I pull out plug 3 or 6 and one is fouled, I should contact honda and mention the service bulletin? They will then perform an oil consumption test and if the accord has burned 1 quart or more, honda will cover the repair?

2008 EX-L V6
post #6 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Today, the car is not misfiring and the check engine light is off!!!!

I purchased 2 ngk plugs to replace 3 and 6. Will take pictures of the fouled plugs and post here. Chuck, can you confirm my process for Honda is correct?

2008 EX-L V6
post #7 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 09:12 AM
5th Gear

Garage
no, your off track here. chances are you dont have misfires on 3 and 6. they are opposing cylinders, and if one is misfiring its common for the opposing cylinder to code as well. its more likely you have a misfire on cylinder 3 OR cylinder 6.

you shoulndt have purchased anything. if you have an oil fouled cyl 3 plug, and the dealer already replaced them and the software is up to date, than you need piston rings on cylinders 1-3 or 1-4. which is most likely covered under the bullitin. cylinders 5 and 6 are not in any way related to the bullitin and if the misfire is on cylinder 6 than honda is not in any way responsible.

you should take your car to the dealer if you have a cyl-1,2,3, or 4 are fouled again.

-Takeda SRI
-aFe TBS+thermals
-P&P Runners
-ZEX 50HP
-Slave check vlv delete
-TS shift cable bushings
-HFP susp
-TL 20mm RSB
-Ktuner
-VitViper Tune
post #8 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Thats cyl 3. The code gave me 3 codes as i stated in my earlier post.

Heres cyl 6:

Sorry for the blurriness. Thats as good as i could get them. The rest of the plugs do not have that black gunk on them
Attached Images

2008 EX-L V6
post #9 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 11:27 AM
3rd Gear

Take Your Car To The Dealer Now Do Not Touch Anything Yourself On This Engine Which Should Be Covered Under The Class Action Lawsuit Settlement..............period.

your welcome

OMG, now you did it. Put the plug back and go to the dealer.
post #10 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

What is the service bulletin number?

2008 EX-L V6
post #11 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

Talking

I'm from Mississippi, and bought my 08 accord used FROM CHEVY dealership (2nd owner) outside of warranty. Mine started running really rough (bogging down, sputtering constantly) this weekend right after CEL started flashing. Went to O'reilys and got a code p3400 also. Also the oil was extremely low and it was just changed less than 1500 miles ago. Went to HONDA dealership and aparrently this is a known issue. They replaced all my sparkplugs and are ordering parts to replace all of my rings as well FOR FREE. God bless Honda!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hossgray23 For This Useful Post:
post #12 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Just hung up with honda service and because the CEL is not on or flashing, they will not look at it!! I have to wait to the CEL comes on again?

2008 EX-L V6
post #13 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Just hung up with honda service and because the CEL is not on or flashing, they will not look at it!! I have to wait to the CEL comes on again?
bullshit. they will certainly look at it. its a class action. they will know to check the plugs. put the plugs back as many others including mysef have said.

-Takeda SRI
-aFe TBS+thermals
-P&P Runners
-ZEX 50HP
-Slave check vlv delete
-TS shift cable bushings
-HFP susp
-TL 20mm RSB
-Ktuner
-VitViper Tune
The Following User Says Thank You to crmplex For This Useful Post:
CtheW0rld (07-21-2014)
post #14 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Running NYC

Ouch! Either way the codes should be stored. You dealer doesn't sound too friendly, Don't waste your time calling just bring her in and have your game face on.

2008 Accord Sedan V6
Satin Red Full dip Morimoto h1 quad retrofit(HIDILLUSIONZ)
4300k low 3000k fogs
Demon eye projector mod
JDM Badges Front/Back
Acura TL-SHAWD IM cover
Debadged
28% tint all around
Switchblade Key
Takeda SRI/Magnaflow Cat-Back
Megan racing test pipe
Hawk 5.0 pads
Stoptech drilled/slotted rotors
Led signal upgrades
19x8.5 TSW Rotary forged Interlagos
Adaptec 15mm custom spacers on rear
Tein Basis coils 2" drop
19MM Acura TL rear sway bar
post #15 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 01:02 PM
5th Gear

Garage
bring it in and ask for a manager. tell him you had plugs replaced and they are fouled again. you know about the bullitin and you want you car fixed. if for some CRAZY reason he wont, tell him your leaving the car there, and then get on the phone with Honda corperate. then sit back and watch the tune change.

in my 9 years working at honda ihave NEVER heard of a honda employee telling a customer to ''not come in for service." dealers do not, i repeat DO NOT care who pays. you, or honda. the dealer gets their money.

the only people that care are the technicians who get completely screwed on labor if its warranty. thats it. and there isnt a big line of people who feel sorry for the techs. trust me. LOL

-Takeda SRI
-aFe TBS+thermals
-P&P Runners
-ZEX 50HP
-Slave check vlv delete
-TS shift cable bushings
-HFP susp
-TL 20mm RSB
-Ktuner
-VitViper Tune
The Following User Says Thank You to crmplex For This Useful Post:
johnjohn15 (07-21-2014)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.