VSA Light and Engine Light - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

VSA Light and Engine Light

I recently was driving and car was driving normally. I reached the corner to make a right and the engine light and VSA light with the triangle came on. I pressed the accelerator and it did not have the rev sound and it was sluggish in movement. I was able to reverse, in slow motion and go back towards my home. I turned the car off for a bit and the VSA light went off but the engine light was still on. I read the manual and for the engine light it advised me to check the fuel cap, I had to turn it before it clicked. I then drove about 3/4 miles and it was still on. When I came back out of the store the engine light turned off. I drove it again last night and neither of the lights came on. I have a 2008 Honda Accord - EX-L, 4 cylinder. Has anyone experienced this or know what causes this?

Thank you!

Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaAccord2008 View Post
I recently was driving and car was driving normally. I reached the corner to make a right and the engine light and VSA light with the triangle came on. I pressed the accelerator and it did not have the rev sound and it was sluggish in movement. I was able to reverse, in slow motion and go back towards my home. I turned the car off for a bit and the VSA light went off but the engine light was still on. I read the manual and for the engine light it advised me to check the fuel cap, I had to turn it before it clicked. I then drove about 3/4 miles and it was still on. When I came back out of the store the engine light turned off. I drove it again last night and neither of the lights came on. I have a 2008 Honda Accord - EX-L, 4 cylinder. Has anyone experienced this or know what causes this?

Thank you!
As silly as it seems sometimes this happens because of the loose gascap. I have NO idea why VSA and CEL both come on to indicate a loose cap, but since you had to turn the cap a little before any clicking, it appears that MIGHT be the reason.

How hard did you make that right turn? Was it wet on the road? VSA indicates wheel slippage or one wheel is turning faster than the other. Turning increases the difference between the two tires, so you might have spun the tires. This VSA process also cuts out fuel to keep your tires from constantly spinning. It's supposed to do that so that's probably the sluggishness you felt.

Both lights occurring simultaneously may just be a coincidence.

Take it easy on the gas pedal around corners.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
The Following User Says Thank You to Miker For This Useful Post:
HondaAccord2008 (05-26-2014)
post #3 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

My 2 front tires I do know that the treads are low and need to purchase new tires. What is CEL mean? I was completely stopped at the traffic light waiting for traffic to pass. When I made the turn the car was sluggish making the turn. When I pressed on the gas, normally the car has the revving sound, it did not. The road was dry.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 09:54 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaAccord2008 View Post
My 2 front tires I do know that the treads are low and need to purchase new tires. What is CEL mean? I was completely stopped at the traffic light waiting for traffic to pass. When I made the turn the car was sluggish making the turn. When I pressed on the gas, normally the car has the revving sound, it did not. The road was dry.
CEL = Check Engine Light

Still could be just the gas cap since the emissions look at the loose gas cap as a leak in the system. Which it is really.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
The Following User Says Thank You to Miker For This Useful Post:
HondaAccord2008 (05-26-2014)
post #5 of 10 Old 07-22-2014, 06:47 AM
1st Gear

The same thing happened to me except I was going 80 down the interstate. both lights came on and my car started loosing power and shifting funny. I pulled over, checked my transmission fluid and it was about 1/2 quart low. I pulled the negative cable so it would clear the code and I was able to drive to autozone. My car is a 2012 accord with 36500 miles, just 500 miles out of warenty. not happy at all. If anyone knows what this it it would be a lot of help.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Low Gear

^^^ Is your car a V6?

This the common case of engine misfired. It happens to "all" Honda V6 engine with VCM. I own two, and happened on both. There is also a class action lawsuit on it where Honda extend your warranty and or pay for your repairs. There is a link here on this forum you can search for it. Or here.

What do you do?

-Did you really cleared the code? They need that misfiring code. Just because you "clear" the light does not mean you clear the code. Go to autozone and see if it's still in the car's memory.

-The dealer will replace the plugs and reprogram the ECU.

- It should cost you nothing.

2016 Accord EX I4, 2010 Accord EX-L V6, 2017 Accord Sport
post #7 of 10 Old 07-22-2014, 11:46 AM
5th Gear

Garage
wrong. once the code is cleared it clears all freeze frame data, dtcs, and on board snapshot data. depending on the scan tool, the tool itself might store its recent activity. auto zones super advance diagnostic tool... LOL. i wouldnt rely on autozone for parts let alone information regarding my auto investment.

the VSA light is on because the system is disabled when the PCM detects a failure that could change the effects of engine operation. (a misfire code would do this, but an evap code most likely would not) Your vsa, traction control, and abs are all concentrated into an integral system. the engine can reduce torque under certain circumstances to regain traction, stability, ect. if theengine isnt operating right, then it will shut the system down for safety and turn the light on to let you know its inop.

i recently learned that the vsa light wll turn on with a tpms light, but the system remains on then. but not with a CEL.

if you cleared it there is nothing you can do until it resets. once it does, take it to the dealer. if its a misfire due to oil fouled plugs it probably falls under the bullitin and theyll fix it for free. if its something else, at least you'll have pelple that know what their doing giving you advice

-Takeda SRI
-aFe TBS+thermals
-P&P Runners
-P2R Intake Riser+thermals (1" total)
-Port-match heads (Intake Side Only)
-XLR8 V2 J-Pipe w/cat delete
-Megan Racing OE-RS Cat Back
-ZEX 50HP
-Ingalls "STIFFY" torque damper
-Cosmo Racing Short Shifter
-Slave check vlv delete
-TS shift cable bushings
-HFP susp
-TL 20mm RSB
-Megan Racing R camber+radius arms
-Smooth-On 60A Poly Filled Comp Bushings
-20mm F & 25 mm R spacers
-StopTech drilled & slotted
-Ktuner
-VitViper Tune
The Following User Says Thank You to crmplex For This Useful Post:
85mcbride (08-06-2014)
post #8 of 10 Old 08-06-2014, 09:03 AM
1st Gear

Mine is an i4. I haven't had any problems since this last issue. I was going to call the dealer but decided against it. I never get any help from the dealer around here.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-06-2014, 09:07 AM
6th Gear

The light will stay on until you start the car 3 times. That is what the Honda tech showed me with the gas cap. Also to check for debris and clean the cap if needed. He also instructed me to allow for at least 3 clicks when installing the cap.

Certified 2009 EX-L Coupe - VCM - PMM
Paid $21,500 cash on 01/11

MPG: 22 City / 32 Hwy 75MPH
0w-20 cap
3.7L TL-SHAWD IM - Functional
65w H9 Lo & Fog / 80w HB3 Hi
Cargo hooks & net
Crosstour knob
Duralast Platinum 24F
I4 hood rod
MDX spacer & ported
Moded OEM CAI
Mobil 1 0w-20 & M1-110
NAPA #18514
Odyssey garnish - Flush fit
Painted splash guards
PXAMG & HDRT
Rear: Center Belt, head rests & ANC delete
Service Grade Electricals
Test Pipe
Window UP mod
Valvoline Type VI
post #10 of 10 Old 09-19-2017, 09:26 AM
Rick D

plug fouling

Hello fellows, I have a 09 accord ex/l with 130 k on it. everything was fine untill about 95k and the cel was flashing and there was a distinct miss. After I shut it off and started a few times it the miss cleared up and it ran fine. So I pulled the plugs which I think were the originals, (I bought it w/ 44k) the 3 front plugs looked ok but were a little worn, but the back 3 looked like hell with oil baked on the, the one closest to the steering wheel (#3 ?) was completely eaten away I was amazed that it was even firing. OK I change them w/ the Densos, all is well for 30k the the CEL and miss again So I pulled out #3 and it was oil fouled again. replaced it with new one and changed oil to 10-30 this time a little thicker, runs fine Oil consumption is only 1 qt in 4k. anybody have any solutions? Is it just the #3plug? Have heard thicker oil, marvel mystry oil, vcmuzzler. Thanks R
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.