DIY how I fixed my armrest bubbled, ripped, for $18 - Page 5 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
7Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #61 of 124 Old 06-14-2014, 09:26 AM
4th Gear

LOL Am I missing something or did your car just not come with a center armrest at all?

You do realize the OEM one has a seam down the middle. You said you wanted to make it look like OEM, but you don't want the seam down the middle?

Like, WTF are you on mannn?

Advertisement

post #62 of 124 Old 06-15-2014, 08:41 AM
1st Gear

I thought I would post some photos of the armrest repair done by my wife. She bought the leather cover. No regrets with leather, but it is harder to work with than vinyl. It takes up more space, making for a tight reassembly. We used hot glue and no staples. So far so good.

Attached Images
post #63 of 124 Old 06-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Dont do cowards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by couch View Post
I bought the real leather (tan) on e-bay, and its a perfect colour match.

Another question to the others who have done this - I'm going to replace the console padding, just wondering what people have been buying to replace this?

I was going to use just 1/2" foam, but not sure if a higher quality underlayment or something denser than just foam would be better (to keep my boney elbows from bottoming out)!

couch
I re-used the padding that was under the OEM. I think any thicker and your gonna have to do some serious heating and pulling to stretch it to cover the entire arm rest, resulting in having to use staples instead of not having to.

post #64 of 124 Old 06-17-2014, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

Hello

How do you remove the two bottom screws of the Arm rest? I removed 4 screws, but I did not find access to the bottom (Back side) two screws. Thanks for your help.
post #65 of 124 Old 06-17-2014, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

Lovemyaccord - when it is closed, push the cover towards the dash, it will slide forward a few inches. That will give you enough room to access the two rear screws. I didnt realize that 'feature' was available until reading up on this repair.

Note there's 7 screws - don't forget the one in center of the armrest.

couch
The Following User Says Thank You to couch For This Useful Post:
Lovemyaccord (06-17-2014)
post #66 of 124 Old 06-17-2014, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. I will try.
post #67 of 124 Old 06-17-2014, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

longer staples

Glad to hear that glue is working for many, but call me old fashioned, I just wanted to use staples. While searching for 1/8" deep staples I completely struck out. I did have 3/16" staples, but they would obviously penetrate the other side of the plastic. So I took some heavy gauge cardboard paper, cut into thin strips and folded a few times, made up an extra 1/16".

Stapling through the cardboard + leather would not poke through the plastic. Keeping the cardboard in place while stretching the cover and stapling at the same time was tricky - three hands would have come in handy! But in the end, it worked, and the staples were firmly seated.

BTW, I had used an 'old school' electric stapler, borrowed from a friend who used to be in the upholstery business. He was also the source of the 3/16" staples, which I didn't come across when looking for smaller ones. 1/4" was the shortest I saw in the box stores.

couch
post #68 of 124 Old 06-17-2014, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

Ok. I got it removed. Ordered the Leather piece from Amazon. Once Received, I will shop for an Installer.

Thanks again for the help couch
post #69 of 124 Old 06-22-2014, 05:26 AM
1st Gear

It's been a week since reinstalling after using the hot glue method. The armrest looks great.
post #70 of 124 Old 06-23-2014, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

Paid 40$ to a local upholstery shop to install the one I ordered online. see picture below. The left is the junk honda put in the car. It is not a leather. Shame on honda for this poor quality product
Attached Images
post #71 of 124 Old 07-27-2014, 10:18 PM
3rd Gear

Did mine this weekend. Paid $12.99 on Amazon + $4.49 shipping, vendor was 'Kar Designers'.

Installation was not 'too' bad. I ended up paying almost $20 for a can of 3M spray adhesive from the parts store (good news is I now have a lifetime supply of 3M spray adhesive). I used my staple gun to hold it in place to let the glue set (well, not the gun, but the staples that came out of it). After the glue set, I pulled most of the staples out since they did not really go in all the way and stuck out too much. Overall, I'm pleased with the outcome, considering I have practically zero patience for this type of work. I'm sure a professional would have made it look better. It has some minor imperfections, but then again, so do the seats. It definitely feels very soft and luxurious and life is good again without the OEM blisters that the original cover had.

before :

09 EXL sedan V6 navi
- Crosstour leather shift knob
- LED inside kit and lic. plate lights
- K&N intake
- Wing King lip spoiler
- OEM muflaps (yeah, I guess you could say my build is getting serious)
-Power Stop K2292 slotted front brake kit
-Nokya hyper yellow DRLs
-CREE LED 60w fog light bulbs
-CREE LED 50w head light bulbs - haters be hatin'
- 2014 EXL wheels
- Mugen Grille
- Inspire Garnish, LEDs, badge
post #72 of 124 Old 08-06-2014, 06:58 AM
1st Gear

So I decided to take on this project and re-wrap my arm rest. After ordering the wrap on ebay, I was kinda worried how the material would feel and if the color would match. I was very happy with this product and the fitment was great.

Name: 20140804_122317_resized.jpg
Views: 1154
Size: 37.6 KB

Name: 20140804_122352_resized.jpg
Views: 1145
Size: 25.4 KB
This 3M spray worked great and held up really good. I tested out the binding strength on the old wrap cover on a plastic part and it held up very strong.

Name: 20140804_123055_resized.jpg
Views: 1159
Size: 36.5 KB
Sprayed the edges of the leather wrap

Name: 20140804_123137_resized.jpg
Views: 1150
Size: 49.0 KB
Sprayed the inner plastic trim ONLY!

Name: 20140804_131834_resized.jpg
Views: 1152
Size: 41.0 KB
Some cutting was required with a sharp blade around the trim where the screws go into and some relief cutting around some edges.

finished product
Attached Images

Last edited by namegoeshere; 04-04-2016 at 09:50 AM.
post #73 of 124 Old 08-06-2014, 08:12 AM
4th Gear

Great job peppermarino!!!!

If others aren't that handy, a local upholstery (auto-upholstery preferred) shop should be able to do it for about $20 (after you bring them the material off eBay).
The Following User Says Thank You to PlayaPlaya For This Useful Post:
PepperMarino (08-06-2014)
post #74 of 124 Old 08-06-2014, 08:50 AM
7th Gear

I paid shy of $100, had a pro do it but got REAL leather, not the Hona crap.
Honda and most of the stuff on e-bay is "Pleather" or a leather/vynal look alike.

Nice job of ll you DIY'ers!

I don't have the patience anymoe.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #75 of 124 Old 08-20-2014, 06:01 AM
#TeamAccord

Where did you get the carbon fiber for the interior pieces? Did you replace the entire pieces or are they the decal overlay?

2010 Honda Accord LX-P Sedan
Basque Red Pearl
20% side windows
5% rear window
8000K HID's (low beam)
Kenwood Sound System
Chrome Delete
Debadged
All bulbs converted to Blue LED's

Future Mods:
COBB Tuning Exhaust System
6000K Fog Lights Kit
HFP Body Kit
Velgen VMB5
Coilovers
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.