DIY how I fixed my armrest bubbled, ripped, for $18 - Page 4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
7Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #46 of 124 Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 AM

I think I'll make this a sticky.

Advertisement

post #47 of 124 Old 02-24-2014, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder

Thank you so much

-rear spoiler
-all ebay LED interior, license plate, trunk lights
-HID 8000k volt kit
-35% tint
-wireless ebay aftermarket rear view back up camera 7 inches
-plasti dip emblems, grill, rims
-ebay white led rear turn signals, backup lights
-rear white LED "H" emblem
-led laser door projector "H" reflection
- rear shark antenna
-V6 interstate megatron plus battery
-full stereo system upgrade (amps, components, subwoofer box) keep factory headunit
-avital 5303 remote start and alarm
post #48 of 124 Old 03-20-2014, 07:50 AM
1st Gear

I just got a similar leather replacement cover off of ebay. It came shipped folded up, so there's a couple of creases in the leather. I covered the leather with a t-shirt and tried ironing it with medium heat, but the wrinkles/creases are still there.

Any suggestions on how I can smooth it out?

post #49 of 124 Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Mine came like that too the only thing i did was really pull it tight using a heat gun

-rear spoiler
-HID 8000k volt kit
-35% tint
- rear shark antenna
-full stereo system upgrade (amps, components, subwoofer box) keep factory headunit
post #50 of 124 Old 04-03-2014, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzovc16 View Post
Hahaha yes brother thanks
Ay man wicked job my dude. Liking it. My armrest in my 08 accord exl is ripping along the side. (I assume thats the issues you all are having too?)

Thr only thing im windering is what type of material was the replacement? Is it the exact same as OEM or different, and if it is different, how does the material match if you have the EXL? (leather)

Can you post the link wherr you bought it online?

Thanks bro
post #51 of 124 Old 04-03-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Its the cheapest one on ebay bro i lost the link

-rear spoiler
-HID 8000k volt kit
-35% tint
- rear shark antenna
post #52 of 124 Old 04-17-2014, 07:24 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush3r View Post
I just got a similar leather replacement cover off of ebay. It came shipped folded up, so there's a couple of creases in the leather. I covered the leather with a t-shirt and tried ironing it with medium heat, but the wrinkles/creases are still there.

Any suggestions on how I can smooth it out?
I wanted to follow up on my last post...

I wasn't having any luck installing the leather cover on my own, so I brought it to a local upholstery shop here in the DC area. They did a much better job than what I could've done and also added some extra padding to it. What was funny though...is when I went to pick up the arm rest, the lady asked me which one? I didn't understand the question, so she went to the back and brought out two identical 8th gen arm rests. Fortuntely, I used a sharpie to label mine before bringing it in...but still, it's crazy that this is such a common issue and yet the Honda dealers wouldn't do anything about it!
post #53 of 124 Old 04-20-2014, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Wow

-rear spoiler
-HID 8000k volt kit
-35% tint
- rear shark antenna
post #54 of 124 Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 PM
8th Gen Audio Expert

Send a message via AIM to JamieJam1AIM
contact cement works well so that it sits flat! FTW Honda will only cover it for 3/36k its a known issue that the vinyl separates from the foam and the heat causes it to stretch... Just another in the long line of 8th Gen Fails!

"The Black Widow Accord" SOLD!!!!!!
"Team Hybrids" Hybrid Audio Technologies & JL Audio Sponsored Sound Quality Competitor.

2011-12-13 IASCA Amateur "North American Champion"
2011 IASCA Amateur Sound Quality, (RUNNER UP)"North American Championships"
IASCA 2012-13 Spring Break Nationals SQC Amateur Champion
IASCA 2011-12-13 Spring Break Nationals Install Amateur Champion
2012 IASCA Competitor of the Year
2012 IASCA Triple Crown Champion
Mods:
Full S/Q Competition AudioSystem
post #55 of 124 Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

U right bro

-rear spoiler
-HID 8000k volt kit
-35% tint
- rear shark antenna
post #56 of 124 Old 06-12-2014, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

Hi All,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. My armrest is bubbling like crazy as well and am looking to replace it. I see on ebay that there are both real leather and vinyl materials and I was wondering which one looks the best as an OEM replacement.

I know that leather is usually better and more durable, but not sure if it is the best match colorwise and is the easiest to work with. For those of you who have done the replacement whst are your thoughts on this?
post #57 of 124 Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 AM
Dont do cowards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadin19 View Post
Hi All,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. My armrest is bubbling like crazy as well and am looking to replace it. I see on ebay that there are both real leather and vinyl materials and I was wondering which one looks the best as an OEM replacement.

I know that leather is usually better and more durable, but not sure if it is the best match colorwise and is the easiest to work with. For those of you who have done the replacement whst are your thoughts on this?

Comes out perfectly color wise. I think the only difference for some is the replacement has a seam down the middle, but it took about an hour and dont bother with the staples. Gorilla instant glue, some scissors and a hair dryer, your good to go. really easy replacement.

FYI...best way is to glue one side, heat just that section and pull...repeat all the way to the end. I live in Tx and the heat does NOTHING to that leather. Bout to do the door panels too. Too bad Honda used this horrid material.
post #58 of 124 Old 06-13-2014, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Agree thank you

-rear spoiler
-HID 8000k volt kit
-35% tint
- rear shark antenna
post #59 of 124 Old 06-13-2014, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response.

I sent the ebay seller an email and they told me that the seam in the middle is there regardless of whether you choose the real leather or vinyl.

When you said it is a perfect match,did you get the real leather or vinyl? I really want the real leather unless the vinyl is the better match. Also looking to do the door armrests as well, but they told me they only have the front door ones.

After looking at both the front and rear door armrests I don't see much of a difference in size, so I'm wondering if there is enough leather to do the rear with the front ones if I bought an extra pair.

So is the real leather the way to go colorwise? I was planning on doing it myself with my electric staple gun and a heat gun. May take it to an upholsterer if the staple gun doesn't work.
post #60 of 124 Old 06-13-2014, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

leather is better!

I bought the real leather (tan) on e-bay, and its a perfect colour match.

Another question to the others who have done this - I'm going to replace the console padding, just wondering what people have been buying to replace this?

I was going to use just 1/2" foam, but not sure if a higher quality underlayment or something denser than just foam would be better (to keep my boney elbows from bottoming out)!

couch

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.