2012 Accord 30k mileage - clean throttle body = erratic RPMs - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2012 Accord 30k mileage - clean throttle body = erratic RPMs

2012 Accord LX-P Sedan 4 cylinder with 30,000 mileage

Cleaned throttle body + clean MAF sensor + disconnected battery + "clear all codes" (there were no codes so this would effectively reset everything) with OBDII Torque Android app

Now, the car has an abnormally high idle, surging rpms when coming to a stop, and a abnormally high rpm when backing up in reverse gear (it backs up too fast now!), high rpm when crawling/creeping when I'm not touching the throttle.

Is this just the computer trying to relearn everything? Do I just have to drive more and wait until the computer relearns? From my research, some people say you need to recalibrate the TPS (throttle position sensor)?

Car was perfectly fine in all regards before the cleaning, and yes, all hoses snug and no vacuum leaks.

TYIA!

Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 01:58 PM
1st Gear

Mine does that when an o2 is out, but I've heard of a bad MAP sensor causing the same problems...wait for a few more miles to see if the codes come back, if I'm right, just check with the OEM dealer to get a new one

post #3 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

PCV valve needs replacing?

Did you use the proper solvent to clean the MAF and TB. (You didn't use something like brake cleaner?)

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Corvalis TTX

You've broken something. Sounds like you could have damaged the MAF. Do you have the check-engine light on?

Mark - Retired automotive lighting engineer
14 Accord Touring V6 Sedan

2014 Audi S4 | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

Gone but not forgotten :97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB
post #5 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 07:24 PM

The last time I cleab my throttle body I had erratic idle for about 30 seconds. I'm guessing some fluid got somewhere it shouldn't and dried out after I drove a little.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #6 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

PCV valve does not need replacing...has barely been 2 years of owning this car. 2012 Accord.

It's basically still new.

I used throttle body cleaner that I've used on all other cars with no issues at all.

There is no check engine light. I scanned with my OBDII and found no error codes. All DTCs have been completed and passed (ie. O2 sensor, evac, etc.) I've been driving it for about a week. Still feels kinda funky.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 08:35 PM

Was the idle OK prior to the cleaning?

My suggestion would be to see if you can find a dealer with a used 8G who will let you borrow the MAF for 10 minutes to see if that's the problem. It's a longshot, but a longshot would be better than buying a new one not knowing if that's the issue.

EDIT: and if you have OBDII and Torque, add the air flow display so you can see at idle if it's jumping around. At idle for me it's (I think) around 30 CFM.

)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #8 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
Was the idle OK prior to the cleaning?

My suggestion would be to see if you can find a dealer with a used 8G who will let you borrow the MAF for 10 minutes to see if that's the problem. It's a longshot, but a longshot would be better than buying a new one not knowing if that's the issue.

EDIT: and if you have OBDII and Torque, add the air flow display so you can see at idle if it's jumping around. At idle for me it's (I think) around 30 CFM.
Hmm...30CFM? Did you change the units under settings to "Use CFM" ? I left it alone and idle it's around 9....which I assume is the default grammes/sec.

What is your engine idle rpm? Around 800-900 right? My car takes a while of driving before idle drops to 800-900, otherwise it hovers around 1500 rpm initially. It's like it needs to warm up before idle rpm drops lower...
post #9 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
You've broken something. Sounds like you could have damaged the MAF. Do you have the check-engine light on?
Does a damaged/faulty MAF throw a check engine light? I don't have any check engine lights or codes whatsoever.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6 View Post
The last time I cleab my throttle body I had erratic idle for about 30 seconds. I'm guessing some fluid got somewhere it shouldn't and dried out after I drove a little.
Did you have to perform the Honda ECM/PCM Idle Learn Procedure afterwards?

I read that these drive by wire cars acclimate themselves automatically to carbon build up in the throttle body, and that when you clean it, the ECU will take a while to get use to the new change before everything is optimized.
The Following User Says Thank You to ctbear For This Useful Post:
HondaTechAV6 (12-29-2013)
post #11 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbear View Post
Hmm...30CFM? Did you change the units under settings to "Use CFM" ? I left it alone and idle it's around 9....which I assume is the default grammes/sec.

What is your engine idle rpm? Around 800-900 right? My car takes a while of driving before idle drops to 800-900, otherwise it hovers around 1500 rpm initially. It's like it needs to warm up before idle rpm drops lower...
Yes, I use all english units. CFM, mph, F, etc etc.

In P it sits around 800 rpm and doesn't vary more than +/- 20 rpm.

In D it usually idles around 700-800.

1500 rpm on startup is normal with a cold engine.

Also try clearing the codes, even though you don't have any. That will reset the ECU (or at least it resets all of the emissions stuff).

)

post #12 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
Yes, I use all english units. CFM, mph, F, etc etc.

In P it sits around 800 rpm and doesn't vary more than +/- 20 rpm.

In D it usually idles around 700-800.

1500 rpm on startup is normal with a cold engine.

Also try clearing the codes, even though you don't have any. That will reset the ECU (or at least it resets all of the emissions stuff).
Yep, that's what I did after cleaning the Throttle Body. Cleared the codes even though I had no codes just for the purpose of resetting the ECU.

Also, I found this:

Quote:
Do not clean the throttle body of your cars from anywhere aside from a Honda 3S dealership. The reason for this is quite simple:

- The throttle system on these cars is a fairly advanced drive-by-wire system (DBW) which learns its throttle opening and and idle settings over the period of driving the car. It also adapts to the carbon buildup around the throttle opening over time by a learning process and adjusting throttle sensitivity accordingly.

If you end up cleaning this by yourself or at a non-Honda workshop the results will be as follows:

- The car will lose its idle settings and the RPM will become erratic
- The throttle response will be extremely twitchy and the car will become "nervous" randomly when giving or releasing throttle.
- This behavior will continue and the car will become an irritation to drive until its reprogrammed at Honda

The only way to clean the throttle body is to go to a Honda dealership, where they will clean the throttle body and then reprogram the car's throttle using the HDS (Honda Diagnostic System), this is a 15 minute computerized procedure which you *cannot* replicate anywhere else unless you have the HDS programmed for these cars.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-20-2013, 12:42 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
. . .
Let's hear it for pakwheels: The quote is spot on.

I experienced the same thing on a 6th gen. Accord. I was able to correct the problem by spraying throttle body clearer into the throttle body while the engine was running. Took about 10 seconds and the rpm's returned to normal, and I experienced no other problems. I took this as evidence that my efforts to clean the throttle body with the engine off had resulted in residue accumulation on the MAP, which was then "cleaned" sufficiently when I repeated the procedure with the engine running. Dumb luck, perhaps.

Let me add that spraying TBC into a running engine is a potentially EXPLOSIVE situation. Use extreme care!
post #14 of 16 Old 12-20-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

So it seems like my only option is to bring it back to the dealer to reset ECM/PCM idle learn procedure and Calibrate Throttle Position Procedure? I am still under warranty...but I'm not sure how they will take it when I explain that my car is acting funny because I cleaned the throttle body.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-20-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
So it seems like my only option is to bring it back to the dealer to reset ECM/PCM idle learn procedure and Calibrate Throttle Position Procedure? I am still under warranty...but I'm not sure how they will take it when I explain that my car is acting funny because I cleaned the throttle body.
They won't care, but expect a small charge for the effort.

)

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.