Aftermarket Lightweight Flywheel? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-20-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Aftermarket Lightweight Flywheel?

Hey guys i wanted to know if anyone knows any kind of product that is out there for an 8th gen accord coupe, that will replace the stock flywheel with an aftermarket lightweight fly wheel? i have an 09 2.4i manual coupe and i wanted to do an upgrade

Black Accord EXL Coupe
YouTube Account: milmast =>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram Account: milmast =>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
No one? No one has done this upgrade before..?

Black Accord EXL Coupe

post #3 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 08:16 AM
5th Gear

Have you try Google search?

Car history:
1990 Toyota Corolla 1.6 (4AFE)--> 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 2.0T (4G63T)--> 2000 Toyota Camry 2.2(5SFE)--> 1995 Nissan Altima 2.4 (KA24DE)--> 2012 Honda Accord EX 2.4 (K24Z3)

Dream Cars:
Aston Martin DBS, Maserati GT, Caterham 7 (aka Louts Super 7)

post #4 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan.mastracci View Post
No one? No one has done this upgrade before..?
Contact Mark at Throwdown Performance. If anyone knows it will be him.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-06-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I found a lightweight flywheel for the K24's along with an Exedy Clutch kit. Do you guys think these would be a nice addition to the car?

Black Accord EXL Coupe

post #6 of 14 Old 12-06-2013, 12:37 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
I found a lightweight flywheel for the K24's along with an Exedy Clutch kit. Do you guys think these would be a nice addition to the car?
Flywheel and clutch upgrades are typically not ideal when talking about daily drivers. Generally speaking, there is no point in buying a performance clutch unless you have excess stresses being put through the drivetrain. For example, you have bolted on a turbo or something that increases horsepower and torque quite considerably. A stock clutch is designed to be used with your car in its current configuration. Buying a high performance clutch with a car that has not been tuned engine wise is pointless. You won't really notice any gain, the clutch will be horrible to operate at low speeds and also is likely to wear out a lot quicker.

'12 Black Pearl 6-6 EX-L Coupe...

Takeda SRI : Yellow Tinted Fogs : ShadowSpeed Roof Spoiler... more to come!
The Following User Says Thank You to 66FTW For This Useful Post:
poorboyaccord (12-06-2013)
post #7 of 14 Old 12-06-2013, 01:30 PM
3rd Gear

^ +1

Someone on this forum once told me I must know nothing about cars because my forum sig just had some visual mods listed in it. I suppose what's listed in your sig is the extent of your car knowledge.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-08-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The reason why i would be doing clutch is because i would already have everything apart when changing the flywheel. Has anyone done anything flywheel-wise?

Black Accord EXL Coupe

post #9 of 14 Old 12-08-2013, 11:10 PM
1st Gear

Dont get a stiff clutch like stage 2 or 3. Had a stage 3 in my STI i needed it for 400whp but horrible in traffic. My .02
post #10 of 14 Old 12-09-2013, 05:44 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
The reason why i would be doing clutch is because i would already have everything apart when changing the flywheel. Has anyone done anything flywheel-wise?
Why even bother with the flywheel? Your virtual weight loss will be minimal, thus the acceleration responsivity improvement will be minimal...

Sounds to me like you have a case of the mods and are just running out of things to do that will actually improve your car. I get it, I've been there on other cars. Mods are like tattoos, once you get one you want more and more... But save your money man. Rather that doing more upgrades to a heavy ass four banger, save your money for a car that you can mod and see actual gains.

post #11 of 14 Old 12-09-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm gonna be with this car for the next few years and within the last year, I've learned quite a bit. Not only is this car my pride and joy, but also a learning device. As long as a I have a car, I don't think i'll be done modding. I have a large passion for this stuff I'm actually going to school to be a grease monkey and its exciting to work on performance upgrades / modifications.

I found this flywheel that Exedy says will fit our cars (i4 at least) and it weighs 9 pounds as apposed to 25. Amazon says it won't fit however Steve, the Exedy Rep, says it will.

Black Accord EXL Coupe

post #12 of 14 Old 12-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Fail Zero bcg

you can always shave some weight off the stocker just make sure it is balanced when they do and keep in mind that not so much total weight but where the weight is removed from ie: the outer edge as compared to the inside center.

2013 Accord Sport 6MT
post #13 of 14 Old 12-09-2013, 12:03 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
I found this flywheel that Exedy says will fit our cars (i4 at least) and it weighs 9 pounds as apposed to 25. Amazon says it won't fit however Steve, the Exedy Rep, says it will.
I'd be curious to see a graph of the virtual weight loss with a light weight flywheel on the i4... My best guess would be around 200lb for 1st gear down to around 20lb for 5th. Not really substantial unless you're just trying to shave a couple tenths of a second off of your 1/4mi time.

post #14 of 14 Old 12-09-2013, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
I'm gonna be with this car for the next few years and within the last year, I've learned quite a bit. Not only is this car my pride and joy, but also a learning device. As long as a I have a car, I don't think i'll be done modding. I have a large passion for this stuff I'm actually going to school to be a grease monkey and its exciting to work on performance upgrades / modifications.

Good for you man. Be a grease monkey and do what you love to do. But I'm going to be honest here. Many people here have been through the mod stuff and that is one of those things that the cost out weighs the gain. I had the itch for a lancer I had back in the day. Did a Frankenstein motor evo interior and while it was fun the HP gain from performance mods was minimal. An older VTEC civic would dust me. For these accords, again my opinion, is looks. If you want a car to mess around with for performance get an si or muscle car. My dad always told me have your nice DD then racer at home.
Advertisement

Tags
fly, flywheel, lightweight, power, wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.