transmission shudders slightly at acceleration. Transmission fluid change? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

transmission shudders slightly at acceleration. Transmission fluid change?

I've tried to find an answer to this question, but haven't quite come across this situation. I have a 2010 accord v6. The transmission shudders slightly at acceleration after shifting into 2nd and again once it shifts into 3rd. It doesn't do it under heavy acceleration or very light acceleration. Only light-moderate acceleration. I bought it used, so it's hard to use the MM to determine if the trans fluid has/needs to be changed. It has almost exactly 40k. Could a transmission fluid change help this problem? Not a flush. Just a single drain and fill.

Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 AM
No lifetime fluids!

It is possible that it could help alleviate your problem. If it were my car I would be doing it.

'09 LX 5MT Sedan - ASM/BLK
V1, OEM splash guards, leather wheel,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'87 Regal with an LSx
post #3 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

There are no other problems with the tranny. (That I know of). Feels like possibly the torque converter shuddering since the trans shifts perfectly and doesn't slip. The car is really quick and when you hammer the throttle there is no hesitation no hard shifting or anything like that. It doesn't happen unless its right after it shifted. When it happens, if I put the accelerator down a little more it goes away with a slight increase in RPMs

In doing some research I found that my problem is most likely the torque converter. From my reading it sounds like the converter shudders as it is going to "lock up" right after changing gears. Meaning, when it locks up it is transferring all power from the motor to the trans and then to the drive wheels. Also says low or old trans fluid could be the culprit. Does this sound accurate? I want to make sure before I spend the money to have a fluid change done.

post #4 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

Suggestion to check the tranny fluid level. After warming up the engine fully, park on level ground, turn off the engine, and check the dip stick (yellow rubber handle) after 30 seconds (wipe clean + replace + recheck).

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, All Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #5 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 01:29 PM
No lifetime fluids!

^ +1

'09 LX 5MT Sedan - ASM/BLK
V1, OEM splash guards, leather wheel,

'87 Regal with an LSx
post #6 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 02:06 PM
6th Gear

My mom experienced the same TC shuddering in her 06 CRV... changed out the trans fluid and the problem went away, but she traded it in about 6 mos. later, so not sure if it was a long term fix. I did a search on TC shudder and it pulled up quite a bit of results regarding the CRVs, I didn't recall seeing anything on the Accords. Her CRV had 79k miles on it... a good bit before the recommended fluid change interval (mileage wise, anyway).

1990 Honda Accord LX coupe
130,XXX miles

1989 Honda Accord LX sedan
186,XXX miles

1998 Lexus GS400
170,XXX miles

1992 Cadillac Allante
70,XXX miles

2013 Kia Optima LX
8,xxx miles
post #7 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Just talked to a tech at the dealer. I'm having the fluid changed. Just a drain and fill. He said my issue could be a sensor in the tranny deciding which gear to be in. He said this because my car only does it when going on an incline. I can't remember what he called it but he said it sounded normal.

Grade logic.
post #8 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 02:58 PM
The Scratcher

My Transmissions grade logic kicks my head in when i get on an incline, ever since i deleted my CAT.

shuddering isn't normal, a slight lurch/feeling of gear slamming into place is normal.

-2010 V6 Coupe-
-Focal 165VRS speakers/Focal 33v2 Subwoofer/Alpine CDA 9887 headunit/Lrx 2.4 Audison Amp/Lots of deadening-
post #9 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 03:08 PM
"Old School" Shifter

Cheapest thing first is the tranny fluid change- then see what happens---
post #10 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjfowler View Post
I've tried to find an answer to this question, but haven't quite come across this situation. I have a 2010 accord v6. The transmission shudders slightly at acceleration after shifting into 2nd and again once it shifts into 3rd. It doesn't do it under heavy acceleration or very light acceleration. Only light-moderate acceleration. I bought it used, so it's hard to use the MM to determine if the trans fluid has/needs to be changed. It has almost exactly 40k. Could a transmission fluid change help this problem? Not a flush. Just a single drain and fill.
I might be able to help you with your issue. I bought my 2008 Accord V6 in November of 2011. I had the exact same issue with the transmission at 34000 miles: it shuddered going into second when moving from a red light;however, if I floored it, it shifted smoothly and nicely. after some prayer and research, I found two solutions: 1) my transmission fluid was low; I added about 8oz and 2) there was some update that Honda said I needed which I got taken care of.

Now, of the two solutions, I don't know which was the remedy but my car has been absolutely great and fun to drive again since then and I have yet to worry about going into second gear. Its been about 15 worry free months since the issue.
post #11 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

When it shudders, if I slightly, and I do mean slightly, push the accelerator a little more it completely goes away and the RPMs go up about 2-300 and it completely goes away. It's not a constant shudder, nor is it severe. It doesn't shake the car, but you can feel it in the pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcielago_786 View Post
I might be able to help you with your issue. I bought my 2008 Accord V6 in November of 2011. I had the exact same issue with the transmission at 34000 miles: it shuddered going into second when moving from a red light;however, if I floored it, it shifted smoothly and nicely. after some prayer and research, I found two solutions: 1) my transmission fluid was low; I added about 8oz and 2) there was some update that Honda said I needed which I got taken care of.

Now, of the two solutions, I don't know which was the remedy but my car has been absolutely great and fun to drive again since then and I have yet to worry about going into second gear. Its been about 15 worry free months since the issue.
This made my day. I've been trying to find someone with the same issue for about 7 hours. How do I alert Honda of an update the car needs? Also, how much is the update??
post #12 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjfowler View Post
This made my day. I've been trying to find someone with the same issue for about 7 hours. How do I alert Honda of an update the car needs? Also, how much is the update??
The update was something I was unaware of until Honda said that there was one for my car when I complained about the judder. My advice would be to go and ask them about it. I would, however, try topping off your fluid before you go in for the update.

When I checked my fluid, the level was just at the lower level mark. as I mentioned, I added about 8oz and brought the level up to about 3/4 of the way between the low and high level mark.

Edit: I wasn't charged for the update. I'm assuming its free or maybe it was free because of my warranty. I only had the car two months when I had the update done.
post #13 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

I'm literally in the EXACT same boat. I just had the fluid changed about 30 mins ago. I drove it home. I didn't notice the shudder. The real test will be tomorrow morning. Ill keep you posted. If its fixed, I won't inquire about the update just yet.
post #14 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

Hi all! While looking for a fix to another problem I ran accross this and decide to share my positive experience.

I had this problem on my 09 and it was diagnosed at the dealer as the torque converter. They did a road test to confirm and then the tech took his laptop and captured the information to send to honda. Once confirmed by honda they replaced the torque converter and transmission fluid. 25k since the repair and all is well. BTW the car had 60k when it was repaired. Bought it used with the 100k warranty.
post #15 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8SPM View Post
Hi all! While looking for a fix to another problem I ran accross this and decide to share my positive experience.

I had this problem on my 09 and it was diagnosed at the dealer as the torque converter. They did a road test to confirm and then the tech took his laptop and captured the information to send to honda. Once confirmed by honda they replaced the torque converter and transmission fluid. 25k since the repair and all is well. BTW the car had 60k when it was repaired. Bought it used with the 100k warranty.
So all of that was covered under warranty??

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.