Only Honda Genuine Full Syn 0W20 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
JB3
2nd Gear

Only Honda Genuine Full Syn 0W20

Went to my Honda dealer today to help my son buy his first new car, a Civic LX Automatic. Interestingly our salesperson, and the finanance guy, each had a quart of Honda Genuine Full Syn 0W20 on their desks. I asked why and they said they have switched away from Honda Genuine Syn Blend 0W20 and now only offer the HG Full Syn 0W20.

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Dan
6th Gear

*edit*

3.0-AT (7th Generation)
Notchback-stroker 410- 527 RWHP on nitrous
post #3 of 14 Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Four Doors/Three Pedals

Honda actually sells a 0W-20 synthetic blend.

2013 Honda Accord EX 2.4L 6MT MSM
OEM Splash Guards
OEM Door Visors
OEM Moonroof Visor
FormFit Hood Air Deflector
Horn Upgrade
Pilot Genuine Black Leather Steering Wheel Cover
K&N 33-2498
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
--
├┼┼╕
246R

post #4 of 14 Old 03-29-2013, 03:47 AM
5th Gear

The reason they did that? Very simple answer, really. They make a lot more money selling synthetic oil changes. At most dealers, a synthetic oil change is $40.00 to $50.00 more than the 'regular' oil change.

Since the great majority of Honda owners will follow the MM and return to the dealer for an oil change at 15%, Honda dealers don't sell as many oil changes as a Nissan dealer, Nissan tries to convince their customers to change oil and filter every 3750 miles. It makes no difference to the average motorist, they will be told that their Honda NEEDS synthetic oil to run better/last longer/get better gas mileage. Most owners will blindly pay the extra cost of the oil change, and never think twice about it.

Of course, Mensa candidates as we are on this forum know better.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-29-2013, 05:28 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd914 View Post
mobil 1 full synthetic extended range is what I use for 25 bucks for a 5 quart bottle at walmart and do the oil change myself
+1

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #6 of 14 Old 03-29-2013, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

It's called dealer profit margin through up sale.

I shudder to think how much I have saved over the years by doing a lot of the work on the car myself.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman214 View Post
The reason they did that? Very simple answer, really. They make a lot more money selling synthetic oil changes. At most dealers, a synthetic oil change is $40.00 to $50.00 more than the 'regular' oil change.

Since the great majority of Honda owners will follow the MM and return to the dealer for an oil change at 15%, Honda dealers don't sell as many oil changes as a Nissan dealer, Nissan tries to convince their customers to change oil and filter every 3750 miles. It makes no difference to the average motorist, they will be told that their Honda NEEDS synthetic oil to run better/last longer/get better gas mileage. Most owners will blindly pay the extra cost of the oil change, and never think twice about it.

How does the owner's manual read on the new Hondas? Do they list any viscosity other than 0W20 as permissible? It may be an upsale on older models but required on the newer ones to maintain warranty. I'm not sure which is why I'm asking what the manual says specifically.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 AM
5th Gear

From the 2013 Accord Owner's manual, page 501.

Recommended Engine Oil
Oil is a major contributor to your engine's performance and longevity. If you drive the vehicle with insufficient or deteriorated oil, the engine may fail or be damaged.
This seal indicates the oil is energy conserving and that it meets the American Petroleum Institute’s latest requirements.

Use a Genuine Honda Motor Oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable viscosity for the ambient temperature as shown.

The graph shows only 0W-20 for all temperature ranges.

■ Synthetic oil
You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade.

• Genuine Honda Motor Oil

• Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-29-2013, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Interesting to see the push to a 0W20 oil on the Hondas (although I guess i need to look at the new TL and MDX to see what they call for), as in the "old days" 0W20 was what you used if you were in Alaska or something for really cold starts. But that being said, I've exclusively used synthetic blend oils in my cars for close to 2 decades now, and never had an issue even at the 7K OCI's that Honda tends to call for these days. I buy it at WalMart - typically the 5W20 Motorcraft Syn Blend - but given the need for 0W20 I'd see whether there's a Valvoline or Castrol variant available. But I agree that if you want to spend the extra bucks on full syn 0W20, then WalMart Mobil1 jugs are by far the best buy. Dealer costs (even independent shops) for full syn oil changes are obscene.....

andy
post #10 of 14 Old 03-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

My '04 2.4l went on a steady diet of Mobil 1 0W20 from the first oil change around 3500 miles. That's all it ever got.

Sounds like that's what to use with the new ones also.....or any other 0W20 that meets the specs.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-31-2013, 01:29 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysinnh View Post
But I agree that if you want to spend the extra bucks on full syn 0W20, then WalMart Mobil1 jugs are by far the best buy. Dealer costs (even independent shops) for full syn oil changes are obscene.....

andy
I can get a quart of Mobile1 5w20 full synthetic for 7.95 a quart at Target. I then bring it to my trusty indie shop to have them change it for me for $15 (including a filter). I believe I can get it done at my dealer for $60 everything included. Not cheap, but it doesn't really cost that much more, especially considering the longer OCI you get with synthetic oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
How does the owner's manual read on the new Hondas? Do they list any viscosity other than 0W20 as permissible? It may be an upsale on older models but required on the newer ones to maintain warranty. I'm not sure which is why I'm asking what the manual says specifically.
Much like the 2013, my 2011 also calls for 0w20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman214 View Post

I don't know. I actually think full synthetic isn't a bad idea if the cost is legit. It costs $30 ~ 40 per change for regular oil changes where I live and that is usually good for 3,000 miles. With an additional $10~20, I can get the full synthetic, which better protects the engine and gives longer OCI (5000-6000). It doesn't seem that much more costly to me?
post #12 of 14 Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM
5th Gear

I buy full synthetic oil on-line. I use 5W-20 Kendall GT-1 with liquid titanium.
60 bucks including shipping for 12 quarts from Petroleum Service Company.
Can't beat that!

Honda Accord hybrid '07
without NAVI Silver 198k miles - sold
Honda Accord Touring '13 MSM
post #13 of 14 Old 04-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

Do they really charge $60 for a synthetic oil change?

I use $10 / qt Redline 0w20, and even with a PureOne filter, changing it myself costs $50.

$60 would be robbery without a gun, because you know they aren't using anything more than bottom of the barrel oil.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #14 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 12:35 AM
6th Gear

The dealership I go to charges $32.50 for A Service (Oil change, 19 pt inspection, tire pressure, check updates/recalls). $39.95 for 0W-20.

They also have a $5 off coupon but if you are a repeat customer you get 10% off. I don't think you can combine. I don't have a printer so I haven't bothered with the coupon.

Just wanted to throw that out for price comparisons. Next time I'm up there I'll ask what kind of oil they use.

2006 Accord EX-L Navi 5MT, Graphite Pearl
2006 Accord EX sedan 5AT, Taffeta White - RIP
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.