Honda coolant Redline water wetter compatability - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Elvira - the car

Honda coolant Redline water wetter compatability

Iv'e used Redline water wetter in all my cars (non Honda) for years. Works beautifully to get heat transfer more thoroughly. Heater warms up so quickly it's great in the winter.

Has anyone used this with the Honda coolant and is it compatible ?

Miker

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 05:08 PM
6th Gear

You can use Redline in any antifreeze.....

post #3 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Dan
6th Gear

I thought it was for...water?

3.0-AT (7th Generation)
Notchback-stroker 410- 527 RWHP on nitrous

post #4 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Elvira - the car

You are correct. Normally it is used with straight water since water transfers heat much better than a 50/50 mix with coolant.

I live where weather changes between the extremes (Chicago area) and I am not changing coolant system when it gets cold and hot every so many months.

So, I add it to 50/50 mix.

It Is half water mixture.

Miker
post #5 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 08:08 AM
5th Gear

Reading your post on a rainy Sunday morning got me thinking, and of course I had a few questions. I asked myself why someone who is not a race car driver, and used his vehicle on a race track where anti-freeze is banned for safety reasons, would use or need this product. I also wondered why Honda, who is the largest producer/manufacturer of internal combustion engines in the world, does not use this product as OEM.

I have read that Honda manufactures over 14 million engines a year. One would think that if Honda vehicles need the benefits that this product claims to provide, either the product would be included in the coolant, or the engine would be redesigned to eliminate these problem areas.

Please help me understand how your “Heater warms up so quickly it's great in the winter.” Correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression than your heater core provides heat when warm/hot coolant flows thru it after the thermostat starts to open, then fully opens. Am I incorrect about this? How does the Redline water wetter overcome the thermostat and provide faster heat to the interior of your car?

I am neither a chemist, scientist, or an engineer, but I did Google “Redline water wetter”, and found this information about ‘black sludge‘. One more than one thread I found this came up. I can not verify that this is true, but here it is.

“Now this can also be used in systems with a mixture of water and antifreeze but the results will be severely diminished, down to just a couple of degrees. On top of that beware of the "black sludge" that can accumulate with Water Wetter combining with certain types of Antifreeze.”

For more information, read these reviews.

Bottom line?
If it makes you feel better, and allows you to sleep better at night, use it.
I do not need this product in my cars.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 AM
4th Gear

Honda coolant Redline water wetter compatability

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman214 View Post
Reading your post on a rainy Sunday morning got me thinking, and of course I had a few questions. I asked myself why someone who is not a race car driver, and used his vehicle on a race track where anti-freeze is banned for safety reasons, would use or need this product. I also wondered why Honda, who is the largest producer/manufacturer of internal combustion engines in the world, does not use this product as OEM.

I have read that Honda manufactures over 14 million engines a year. One would think that if Honda vehicles need the benefits that this product claims to provide, either the product would be included in the coolant, or the engine would be redesigned to eliminate these problem areas.

Please help me understand how your “Heater warms up so quickly it's great in the winter.” Correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression than your heater core provides heat when warm/hot coolant flows thru it after the thermostat starts to open, then fully opens. Am I incorrect about this? How does the Redline water wetter overcome the thermostat and provide faster heat to the interior of your car?

I am neither a chemist, scientist, or an engineer, but I did Google “Redline water wetter”, and found this information about ‘black sludge‘. One more than one thread I found this came up. I can not verify that this is true, but here it is.

“Now this can also be used in systems with a mixture of water and antifreeze but the results will be severely diminished, down to just a couple of degrees. On top of that beware of the "black sludge" that can accumulate with Water Wetter combining with certain types of Antifreeze.”

For more information, read these reviews.

Bottom line?
If it makes you feel better, and allows you to sleep better at night, use it.
I do not need this product in my cars.
100% spot on. The butt dyno affects many aspects of performance it seems these days

Sent from
post #7 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Elvira - the car

Cookie

I don't have scientifically measured results that state a thermal transfer rate in any of my cars. This is a seat of the pants or just a very observant operator. I drive the same route everyday and during winter I know how many miles it takes to warm the engine up and therefore allow an automatic climate system to start running. Without the wetter, it took nearly 3 miles at normal speed,40-45 mph to get the heater to run when below 32F. WITH wetter it took less than 1 mile. Take it for what is worth but my job entails being observant or maybe it's OCD.

Correct in that it does not make sense in using the wetter with 50/50 mix and I am not racing, but there is a result that scientifically speaking should allow a lower surface tension of the coolant, whether straight water or 50/50.

The product DOES lessen the tension and therefor the cavitation and air bubbles on the surface of the engine and therefor the radiator. This results in greater heat transfer and that is what I am looking for.

I am not looking for a reduction in the coolant temperature only a surface tension reduction an therefore a greater efficiency of the 50/50 mix.

Why do people use RainX or similar products on their windshields? Why don't glass manufacturers or Honda do that at manufacture? Why doesn't Honda put the highest adhesive tires on cars sold in the snow states and put so-so all seasons on a car? So one shouldn't put higher quality or better performing products IF they work? How about platinum tipped plugs in cars that normally use copper? Platinum lasts longer then copper especially with lost spark systems.

As far as your last statement about not using it in your vehicle, Who asked you too? Not me.

As far as the google search, this is why I asked here on a Honda site whether it is compatible with Honda coolant to avoid the sludge problem.

Miker
post #8 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 09:50 AM
5th Gear

I appreciate your response, but it does leave me with more questions.

1. Why do you feel the need for “lower surface tension of the coolant”?. How are you judging your surface tension? Short of laboratory testing, how does one check the surface tension of the coolant? How is that beneficial to your street driven vehicle?

2. Why are you thinking that in your sealed, pressurized cooling system, this “cavitations and air bubbles on the surface of the engine” is occurring? Where are the air bubbles coming from? Am I wrong in thinking that the air has been purged out of the cooling system?

3. Why are you “looking for greater heat transfer? How much is enough? How do you know if you have crossed the line into “too much“? I do not know the answer myself, as I have no education in this field.

4. Why are you striving for “greater efficiency of the 50/50 mix”? Do you have any information that the factory recommended 50/50 mix is inefficient, and could be harmful to our cars, or are you buying into the products advertising claim?

I am not trying to be rude, or have you upset at me, rather, I do not believe every claim made by a manufacture of products that promise results that are not easily verified.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
Advertisement

Tags
coolant additive, redlinegoods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.