Mixing different same weight oils?? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-29-2012, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Mixing different same weight oils??

So, ive done some reason and i heard that you can do it.

So with all the oil changes everyone does they must have a little extra from every bottle they use but why waste it? Im wondering is it okay to mix oils? Im talking like royal purples 5w20 with mobil 1s 5w20

Cause i have some left over and id hate to waste good oil. Ive researched a lot of people say its okay, is it true?

"None are more hopelessly enslaved then those who falsely believe they are free" - Goethe

Current Car: 2007 Accord V6 3.0L EX AT (W/O Navi)
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fail City View Post
Ive researched a lot of people say its okay, is it true?
yes.

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
post #3 of 12 Old 12-29-2012, 06:00 AM
5th Gear

From the Mobil Oil website:

Can different synthetic motor oils be mixed together?

Mobil 1 synthetic oil is fully compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils, should it be necessary to mix them. However, it is important to note that the superior performance of Mobil 1 oil will be reduced by diluting it in any way.

I'm sure that other oil manufactures will say the same thing about their product.

In my opinion, as long as the oil you are mixing is API SN rated, you are fine.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 07:17 PM
5th Gear

I remember reading that mixing oils even of the same weight can cause sludge. I searched this awhile ago when I purchased "oil change deals" from autozone when my civic needed an oil change. The deals are always for 5 qts while my car only needed 4 quarts. Anyway after a few changes I was left with one quart of oil from multiple brands but I wanted to see if it was a good idea so I searched. I don't remember where exactly I read this but google it and I'm sure you'll find it.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM
No lifetime fluids!

On the GF's Taurus, I had a 5qt bottle that I kept pouring the left overs into.

Had about all this in there:

About a quart of Mobil 1 5W-30
A quart of Castrol Syntec 5W-30
About a quart of Amsoil 0W-20
About a quart of SuperTech 10W-30
A quart of Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20

Topped off the motor with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20

Ran all of that for 5000 miles and no sludge occurred and oil looked good on drain.

I wouldn't be worried, ESPECIALLY since you have two 5W-20's.

'09 LX 5MT Sedan - ASM/BLK
V1, OEM splash guards, leather wheel,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'87 Regal with an LSx
post #6 of 12 Old 01-02-2013, 06:11 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSniper69 View Post
I remember reading that mixing oils even of the same weight can cause sludge. I searched this awhile ago.... I don't remember where exactly I read this but google it and I'm sure you'll find it.
I took your challenge, and Googled most of the morning.
None of the oil manufactures claim that mixing of oil causes sludge.

Citgo website

Myth: You can’t mix brands of motor oil.
Fact: Mixing brands is not the best practice because the additive systems in each may be different and when mixed may not function as efficiently as desired. However, no serious problems will occur if you must add a different brand of equivalent quality between oil changes. It is very important to maintain proper oil level.

Myth: Motor oils can cause sludge.
Fact: True, poor quality oils can contribute to sludge. Sludge deposits are formed by a combination of dirt, soot, partially burned fuel, oxidized motor oil, leaked coolant and condensed water vapor produced during combustion. These bad guys are usually present, and a good motor oil keeps them separated so they are drained with the oil and not deposited in the engine. Using a good quality oil and regular oil and filter changes will prevent sludge.

From the Valvoline website:

Q. Can you mix different types of motor oil? For example, synthetic and synthetic blend or regular and synthetic? Is this going to cause problems?
A. Mixing synthetic and conventional oils will not cause any problems. The oils are compatible with each other
Q. Does using synthetic oil create more sludge?
A. No. Synthetic engine oils do not increase the chance of sludge. Valvoline motor oils are 100% anti-sludge guaranteed
Q. Is SynPower compatible with other brands of synthetic motor oil, or do I need to flush if I'm switching brands?
A. Valvoline SynPower is compatible with other synthetic engine oils.

The Story Of Why Engine Oil Becomes Engine Sludge

Q.Can you mix brands of motor oil?
A. Mixing brands is not the best practice because there may be differences in the additive systems among various brands, and the oil mixture may not function as efficiently as desired. However, no serious problems will occur if you must add a different brand of equivalent quality between oil changes. It is very important to maintain proper oil level.

Q. Can motor oils cause sludge?
A. Poor quality oils can contribute to sludge. Sludge deposits are formed by a combination of dirt, soot, partially burned fuel, oxidized motor oil, leaked coolant and condensed water vapor produced during combustion. These harmful deposits are usually present, but a good motor oil keeps them separated and in suspension so they are drained with the oil and not deposited in the engine. Using a good quality motor oil and changing it at the recommended intervals, will help prevent sludge from forming in your vehicle.

Personally, I believe this information from the 'experts' more than I believe on a Q+A forum, where anyone can post an answer.

I hope that this was helpful.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-02-2013, 06:27 AM
Low Gear

Don't over think this. Oil change is more important and trumps this question. Yes, don't use the "wrong" oil on purpose. But if you got some like 1/2 qt in the garage from Car A, it's ok to use it up for Car B.

And before one use a reply example that is ridiculous, you know what I mean and OP is smarter than that.

2016 Accord EX I4, 2010 Accord EX-L V6, 2017 Accord Sport
post #8 of 12 Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Quote:
I remember reading that mixing oils even of the same weight can cause sludge. I searched this awhile ago when I purchased "oil change deals" from autozone when my civic needed an oil change. The deals are always for 5 qts while my car only needed 4 quarts. Anyway after a few changes I was left with one quart of oil from multiple brands but I wanted to see if it was a good idea so I searched. I don't remember where exactly I read this but google it and I'm sure you'll find it.
You must have read that in a comic book because it is not true. It's not recommended by manufacturers due to the possible clash of different additives but mixing a time or two to get rid of left over partials is not harmful.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
You must have read that in a comic book because it is not true. It's not recommended by manufacturers due to the possible clash of different additives but mixing a time or two to get rid of left over partials is not harmful.
Just for $h!t$ I googled "sludge caused by mixing oils" and found this >>

&

Topping off isn't that big a deal but I still wouldn't do it. Also you mentioned the "clash of different additives" which is a problem too.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 AM

The first link is about hydraulic fluid not engine oil.
The second link says nothing negative about the subject matter unless I just plain missed it. Were these supposed to mean something?
post #11 of 12 Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 PM
5th Gear

Do as you please but I do remember reading about it somewhere. I remember purchasing a bunch of different oils one time for the various cars at my home and the clerk saying "your not mixing theses right? cuz the different brand's additives can cause sludge" After that I researched that and found it to be true. If your selling the car then whatever which is why when I buy a car I change the oil the second I get it home cuz who knows what the owner did before selling it to me. If I have 1 quart of let's say quaker state, one quart of mobil 1, one quart of penzoil, one quart of valvoline, and one quart of castrol. I buy whichever oil is the cheapest to complete the job. So if the car I'm doing need 4 quarts of oil, I'd buy 3 quarts of oil and only use one brand of oil. I later learned that those deals that let me with all these different brands of oil aren't worth it and it's cheaper to buy oil from walmart by the 5 quart jug. Quaker state high mileage was always the cheapest high mileage oil. I used this in my beater, parent's car, sister's car, and my neice's car for years so they always had the same brand of oil. You really wanna mix oils? Go ahead, I'm just putting in my 2 cents from what I picked up over time.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-06-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Do as you please but I do remember reading about it somewhere. I remember purchasing a bunch of different oils one time for the various cars at my home and the clerk saying "your not mixing theses right? cuz the different brand's additives can cause sludge" After that I researched that and found it to be true. If your selling the car then whatever which is why when I buy a car I change the oil the second I get it home cuz who knows what the owner did before selling it to me. If I have 1 quart of let's say quaker state, one quart of mobil 1, one quart of penzoil, one quart of valvoline, and one quart of castrol. I buy whichever oil is the cheapest to complete the job. So if the car I'm doing need 4 quarts of oil, I'd buy 3 quarts of oil and only use one brand of oil. I later learned that those deals that let me with all these different brands of oil aren't worth it and it's cheaper to buy oil from walmart by the 5 quart jug. Quaker state high mileage was always the cheapest high mileage oil. I used this in my beater, parent's car, sister's car, and my neice's car for years so they always had the same brand of oil. You really wanna mix oils? Go ahead, I'm just putting in my 2 cents from what I picked up over time.
I'm with you in the long run. Doing the mixmaster on a regular basis is likely not the best habit. Once or twice to get rid of all the accumulated partial quarts left over would not be problematic. Once those are used buying a single brand from that point on would be prudent.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.