Havoline oil - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-05-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Havoline oil

Theres a quick lube shop I been going to for years. I dont have time to do it myself and it takes about 5 mins at the shop and its done. I use to take my 01 honda civic there and let them do their thing. I Never bother to ask with their Havoline oil or anything. My concern is would it be ok for my 09 honda accord? I know I have to use 5w-20, but is Havoline 5w-20 any good? Also, should I go synthetic, synthetic blend or conventional oil?

2009 Honda Accord EX Sedan
-Crystal Black Pearl
-20" MSR Style 093 Super Black Finish on Nexen 245/35-20
-Megan EZ Coilover
-SPC Rear Camber Kit
-3M Color Stable Tint 35%
-6000k LED License Plate
-5900 Xenon Halogen Headlight
-Rockford Fosgate Amp with 12" Solobaric L5 Subwoofer
-Mugen Replica lips
-Clazzio Peforated Leather seats
-Myron & Davis Navigation
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Lightbulb added peace-of-mind w/ synthetic, tho' not necessary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatLon View Post
Theres a quick lube shop I been going to for years. I dont have time to do it myself and it takes about 5 mins at the shop and its done. I use to take my 01 honda civic there and let them do their thing. I Never bother to ask with their Havoline oil or anything. My concern is would it be ok for my 09 honda accord? I know I have to use 5w-20, but is Havoline 5w-20 any good? Also, should I go synthetic, synthetic blend or conventional oil?
is a quality motor oil from Texaco-Chevron. Currently, there is a promotion for an oil-change service on the website (up to $13).

Regarding dino-juice (conventional motor oil) or a blend or synthetic, there are some useful threads w/ great posts (via the forum "search") & add to the conversation!

Long-story-short...

If you change your motor-oil & oil-filter at regular intervals as-per the maintenance-minder (generally ~7.5k miles, +/- 1k miles depending on driving-conditions), regular conventional motor-oil will be just as good as blend or synthetic.

Synthetic motor-oil does offer better resistance to breakdown when hot, and improved flow characteristics when cold, and lasts at times longer than conventional motor-oil. Again, I'm being very general here.

FWIW, a 5-quart jug of decent conventional motor-oil will be $10-$15 & a 5-quart jug of decent synthetic motor-oil will be $20-$25 (at discount dept. stores or auto-parts stores during sales/specials). There are often online promotions/rebates where you get more-or-less get a 5-quart jug for free.

post #3 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

As Osiris said it is a quality lubricant so no worries there. As mentioned there are advantages to synthetics but it is up to you to determine if it is worth the extra cost involved. As a whole Honda engines are not tough on oil so any quality name brand standard oil will keep the engine purring long after you're ready for a new car.

My thoughts are that the oil life monitor, although well designed, can go to extremes. Depending on driving habits it's not unusual to see 8,000 - 10,000 miles on the oil when it reaches 15% oil life. Under such conditions I would prefer a full synthetic since it would likely hold up better to such a long oil change interval. Just my 2¢ on the subject.....

post #4 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 AM
No lifetime fluids!

Not sure if anyone else has ever gone here, but one website I really like when I'm thinking "hmmm... hows that oil?" when I'm at some gas station or just looking around an unfamiliar store is PQIA.

Not saying I use any of the no-name oils however, and not saying they're good or bad, only Motorcraft for me!

Havoline is good stuff, used to get cases of it back in the late 90's for less than $10 if not cheaper (rebates from Valu). Dad used it in everything from the K181 Kohler's to the 307 in the 84 Delta. Never anything bad to say.

'09 LX 5MT Sedan - ASM/BLK
V1, OEM splash guards, leather wheel,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'87 Regal with an LSx
post #5 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

So I went to lube shop and ask for 5w 20 synthetic and the guy said we don't have that here but we have ow 20 and its better. I said no thanks, can I run to walmart and grab Mobil1 5w 20 synthetic and you guys put it in? He said sure. Before I left I asked him what kind of oil filter is he going to put in and he said purolator. I said OK and went and purchase the oil.

After they put in the oil I got, I asked the lady at the counter did you install the purolator filter? She said no we installed a blah blah oil filter(no name). I was like wtf, the other guy said different and she was like "oh I dont know".

I got pissed. Paid for it and just left. I gotta check under the car later to see what filter it is. If it is some no name brand, that shop just lost a customer. I had all 6 of my car go there.

2009 Honda Accord EX Sedan
-Crystal Black Pearl
-20" MSR Style 093 Super Black Finish on Nexen 245/35-20
-Megan EZ Coilover
-SPC Rear Camber Kit
-3M Color Stable Tint 35%
-6000k LED License Plate
-5900 Xenon Halogen Headlight
-Rockford Fosgate Amp with 12" Solobaric L5 Subwoofer
-Mugen Replica lips
-Clazzio Peforated Leather seats
-Myron & Davis Navigation
post #6 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Lightbulb time-interval of oil-change likely more important than oil & filter...

0w20 is perfectly fine, it actually has a better low-temp weight/viscosity being thinner at low temps of startup & applicable climate.

Purolator engine oil-filter is a good basic filter (better than basic Fram, etc). Purolator Pure One is a better performing premium engine oil-filter.

As RTexasF stated w/ regards to relatively lengthy oil-change intervals per the maintenance-minder & using synthetic motor-oil, added piece-of-mind would come from a quality engine oil-filter that's either OEM or Purolator Pure, Bosch, Mobile 1, etc.

A month or so ago, there was an unreal special on where I got (6) of 'em for $20!

Napa also offers a good range of filters, I believe their blue in-house brand is an OEM equivalent.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-07-2012, 06:51 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

5W20 is not chiseled in stone for that car you know. You can use 0W20, 5W20, 0W30, or 5W30 and the car will be just fine. My 2004 2.4l had 0W20 in it from the first oil change miles and never saw anything else. It was spec'd for 5W20 but I learned the differences among the oils. Bobistheoilguy member #409.

If the guy told you a Purolator filter would be used and it is indeed a no name brand take it back. Go directly to him and make them change the filter at no charge....and top off the oil!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.