wix vs fram - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 08-01-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

wix vs fram

Looking for some advice. The last time I changed oil in my 2000 ex Accord, I used a wix filter for the first time. I never had a problem with the fram, but after reading so many negative reviews on quality i thought I would try something different. Now though, I am having a problem with more engine noise on morning start ups. It smooths out after about a second. It has never done this before.The oil is oreillys 5w-30 synthetic, same I have used for a couple years now. Has anyone else had this problem with wix? Trying to decide if I should go back to fram or maybe try a mobil 1 filter. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-01-2012, 05:44 PM
4th Gear

I've never used either of those filters, and I never will. I only use Purolator oil filter, and have been using it for years without any issue whatsoever. You should try it.

post #3 of 21 Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 PM

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, if you use the search function here, you'll find many, many posts on the topic of oil and filters. When you get tired here, you can go to the bobistheoilguy forum and read on oil and filters times 10.

Third, you'll probably find many here who like Purolator (especially the PureOne, which offers a big benefit for the buck), Bosch, Mobil1, and one kind of Honda original equipment filter made by a particular manufacturer, identifiable by its model number but not easy to get any more, so I don't care to remember. Very few like Fram or Wix around these parts.

That said, a quality engineer said long ago that "good quality is not necessarily high quality". By that he meant sometimes it just has to work well enough. Wix and Fram will work well enough, but the brands I mentioned and a few others will work better, giving you a bigger safety margin. Many people on this forum will say that extra margin is well worth it, especially if you extend oil change intervals and/or drive aggressively.

I'm surprised there haven't been more heated responses here. Few things provoke passion on this forum like a question about oil and filters. I've always suspected that some of the ones screaming loudest that you'll kill your engine and go sterile if you use anything other than X oil and Y filter do so on keyboards greasy from Big Mac stains and filled with Doritos crumbs. If these writers were as particular about what the fed themselves as their cars, they'd be Prius-driving vegans.

And that's not to insult my serious vegan friends. But vegans don't live longer - it just seems longer.

"Communication isn't what you say. It's what they hear." - Red Auerbach

2015 EX-L V6, Modern Steel/Black
2007 SE I4 5AT, Cool Blue, 77k

Also in the family:

2009 TSX, navy, auto
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Ltd
2015 Crosstour V6, black
2013 Civic EX, gray
2014 Honda HRX217 (2)

Departed:
2004 EX I4 5MT, Desert Mist, 175,552
2001 Accord EX I4 5MT, Satin Silver, oil slick at 86K
1999 EX-LV, Heather Mist, 146,567
1994 Accord LX I4 5 MT ABS, Malachite Green, 285k

post #4 of 21 Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 PM

Wix are actually good quality filters. They're similar to Napa Gold filters... also high quality.

The "one kind of Honda original equipment filter" mentioned above is made by Filtech and has a part # of 15400-PLM-A01. It can be found at for $5.75.

Those that have a part # of 15400-PLM-A02 are the ones made by Honeywell (aka Fram).

I use whatever I can get for the best price. So far, that has been Purolator (Classic and PureONE).

Purolator Classic is about $4.50 at Pepboys and PureONE is about $6.50. Factor in the frequently offered Purolator rebate ($1.50 for Classic and $3.00 for PureONE) and I get the Classic for about $3.00 and the PureONE for about $3.50. At those prices, nothing can match it (IMO).
post #5 of 21 Old 08-03-2012, 04:54 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltj9296 View Post
Looking for some advice. The last time I changed oil in my 2000 ex Accord, I used a wix filter for the first time. I never had a problem with the fram, but after reading so many negative reviews on quality i thought I would try something different. Now though, I am having a problem with more engine noise on morning start ups. It smooths out after about a second. It has never done this before.The oil is oreillys 5w-30 synthetic, same I have used for a couple years now. Has anyone else had this problem with wix? Trying to decide if I should go back to fram or maybe try a mobil 1 filter. Any other suggestions? Thanks
Hello,
I am the tech manager at Fram Filtration. What is happening is the antidrainback valve in the filter you bought is leaking. This causes the filter to drain when the car sits and a dry start when started. Fram makes the OE Honda filter, 13 million a year. The best filter we make for your car is called Ultra or Extended Guard. Learn more on my YouTube channel at YouTube.com/cadzillals6
post #6 of 21 Old 08-03-2012, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

FWIW, I've used basic Frame oil filters for the last 3 Honda/Acura, spanning 22 years and roughly 300,000 miles with OCI of two to three times a year depending on distance driven, no issues what-so-ever with any of the engines.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 Old 08-05-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I decided to change my oil again and this time I used a mobil 1 filter. It sounds normal now. Thanks for all the info. Wix filters are probably ok, I was just unlucky to get a bad one the first time I wanted to try them out, I guess.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-06-2012, 04:18 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanB View Post
I've never used either of those filters, and I never will. I only use Purolator oil filter, and have been using it for years without any issue whatsoever. You should try it.
Well, Stan, this is going to ruin your whole day:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reframmellator
. . . I'm surprised there haven't been more heated responses here. Few things provoke passion on this forum like a question about oil and filters.
QED.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-09-2012, 11:47 AM
2012 ACCORD V6

I like Napa Gold filters myself. I've cut many of them open and have always been impressed with the quality. I also like Mobil 1, except for the price!

Oh and twice a year NAPA usually has a big sale on their filters, so I stock up on them:

post #10 of 21 Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Mass Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorking View Post
Hello,
Fram makes the OE Honda filter, 13 million a year.
I didnt know that. I use my dealerships service center for my oil changes because they have good prices, its a nice comfy waiting room and they dont spill 3 quarts on my garage floor like I seem to do EVERY FREAKING TIME I TRY TO CHANGE MY OIL! I swear Im like a 3 year old or something. Anyway, Ive always wanted to know if the OEM filters are built to Honda specs or are they just rebadged filters you can buy right off the Autozone shelf?
post #11 of 21 Old 08-14-2012, 08:52 AM
5th Gear

You guys are aware that just cuz a filter is private labeled but made by a company doesn't mean it's identical to one of their own marked filters right? I'm not sure if I worded that correctly but what I mean is just cuz fram makes honda's filters doesn't mean that it's the normal fram filter, extended guard, or any of their current lines. It could be built to totally different specs. It's just like factory tires, this has been very known in regards to motorcycles since tires are very important with bikes but on cars it may not be as obvious. Tires that come with a new car or bike are not the same as if you purchased the same tire later. A guy at the dealer showed me this once, on the tag there is a little mark but unless you know what your looking for you won't notice. I would assume the same goes for factory honda oil filters. Yeah fram makes em but I doubt it's their bottom of the barrel orange oil filter painted blue.
Fram's bottom of the barrel orange filter is made super cheap with cardboard and some are held together by string inside, YES string. That card board can and has deteriorated then the bits clog up oil passage ways restricting oil flow. The one guy that used fram oil filters for a long time, consider yourself lucky.
Purolator makes two filters, the regular one and the PURE one. The regular one is made in china... nuff said. The pure one has proven to have the thickest best filter media BUT it's so restrictive that it can starve the engine of oil especially so at high RPMs in Vtec. It's minor and you may not even notice the knock from it but it's been proven by oil pressure tests.

I use amsoil oil and oil filter.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isnít cheap
Cheap isnít The Best
post #12 of 21 Old 08-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Low Gear

Use whatever brand oil filter is cheap and whatever you can get on sale. It makes no difference what brand of oil filter you use. The main thing it to change it. Changing it will trump all brand debates. We can add MM to this debate. And brand of gasoline too. A friend of mine swears by Shell gasoline. Not Chevron and not the cheap stuff. Let's debate and get a clusterfock of angry people.

Flame suit on. Let's roll.

2016 Accord EX I4, 2010 Accord EX-L V6, 2017 Accord Sport
post #13 of 21 Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
And brand of gasoline too. A friend of mine swears by Shell gasoline. Not Chevron and not the cheap stuff.
Both Shell and Chevron are considered toptier fuels. I'd go with either one.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Low Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver View Post
Both Shell and Chevron are considered toptier fuels. I'd go with either one.
That's the thing, he said he can feel the difference between Chevron and Shell. Shell feels better than Chevron, so...

I can debate, but no point. Some people like to pay more. It makes them feel good, and that's all it matters.

2016 Accord EX I4, 2010 Accord EX-L V6, 2017 Accord Sport
post #15 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 AM
5th Gear

Gas isn't too debateable. It's more the additives in the gas. 87 octane is 87 octane no matter where you go. You can take it step further and find a gas station that sells gas without ethanol but that's really it. To me it's more so who owns that brand of gas. That's a whole other discussion left for another day. As far as oil filters, they are NOT all created equal. It's been proven time and time again that some use inferior parts to make the filters. Says "just change it" is not gonna cut it. Google "oil filters tests" or the like and you'll see for yourself.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.