Switching Oil Brands: Mobil 1 vs Castrol Syntec - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Switching Oil Brands: Mobil 1 vs Castrol Syntec

Hey everone.. So I just hit 100K miles last week and have been using Mobil 1 synthetic (5w-30) since i hit 90K. I change every 5K with the Mobil 1...

Been kicking the idea around about using Castrol synthetic but wasnt sure which was considered a higher quality oil.

I've used M1 in the past on my 99 prelude when I was younger and used to burn through it (car was raced out and beaten to sh*t though, I used to rev to 9,500+ RPM everywhere I went!)

Do you guys think I should stick with the M1 or try switching over to the Castrol?

Also, any preference on filter? I've read you should use Purolator or Wix(?)
Will there be any harm from using Fram instead?

Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 PM
5th Gear

Syntec is not a true synthetic oil. Only the 0w30 and 0w40 was the only true synthetic. 0w30 was called german castrol as it was made in germany and 0w40 was called Belgian castrol. All the other is a hydrocracked synthetic oil. So I wouldnt go with syntec over M-1

post #3 of 4 Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 PM
02-SE

Synthetic oil is Synthetic oil. Any brand of synthetic is fine. As long as it's in the same weight class, they all have similar properties. And BTW, oil brand and quality has been discussed sooooo many times on here.

2002 Honda Accord SE Coupe 2.3 I-4 VTEC (DD)
Taffeta White 134,xxx Miles
1992 Lexus SC400 83,xxx miles *My Toy*

Past Car:
1996 Honda accord coupe LX! 106,xxx miles
*Totaled as of 3-31-10 Dumb People!*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIZE]

post #4 of 4 Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Michael

Actually synthetic oil makers won a legal battle to call non-synthetic "synthetic" if it was highly filtered. Not many still try to get away with that though. Mobil 1 for instance is now 100% real synthetic, but used to be filtered dino. I'll personally recommend Kendall, Enos, or Amsoil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/

/

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.