New DW-1 ATF may not be Synthetic! - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-21-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

New DW-1 ATF may not be Synthetic!

Not sure if this has been discussed here or not but I am curious about the new Honda DW-1 ATF. Based on MSDS, it may not be synthetic (at least for the US market). In fact, the flash point of DW-1 and Z1 is identical. The flash point is always higher for a synthetic oil. The only difference is that the DW-1 has lower viscosity at lower temperature compared to Z1. Both the Mobile 1 & Redline D4 ATF has flash point that is 66 degrees higher than the DW-1 & Z1 ATF.

ATF FLASH POINT
DW-1: 170C
Z1: 170C

Mobile 1: 236C
Redline D4: 236C
AMSOil: 234C
Royal Purple: 216C

I have two Accords and an Odyssey. I run Redline D4 on one Accord and the other two has Mobile 1 ATF. Mobile 1 no longer list Honda Z1 on the container. I am not a chemist but considering the history of Honda Transmissions, I will take any Synthetic with higher flash point (thus more protection) over conventional Honda ATF.

What is interesting is that the Honda engine oil is made by Mobile! If I am not mistaken, I think the Honda Oil can actually has Mobile written on it.

Any thought?

Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-21-2011, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

New DW-1 ATF may not be Synthetic!

Not sure if this has been discussed here or not but I am curious about the new Honda DW-1 ATF. Based on MSDS, it may not be synthetic (at least for the US market). In fact, the flash point of DW-1 and Z1 is identical. The flash point is always higher for a synthetic oil. The only difference is that the DW-1 has lower viscosity at lower temperature compared to Z1. Both the Mobile 1 & Redline D4 ATF has flash point that is 66 degrees higher than the DW-1 & Z1 ATF.

DW-1: 170C
Z1: 170C

Mobile 1: 236C
Redline D4: 236C
AMSoil: 234C
Royal Purple: 216C

I have two Accords and an Odyssey. I run Redline D4 on one Accord and the other two has Mobile 1 ATF. Mobile 1 no longer list Honda Z1 on the container. I am not a chemist but considering the history of Honda Transmissions, I will take any Synthetic with higher flash point (thus more protection) over conventional Honda ATF.

What is interesting is that the Honda engine oil is made by Mobile! If I am not mistaken, I think the Honda Oil can actually has Mobile written on it.

Any thought?

post #3 of 5 Old 10-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Out of Control

I think you also have to consider the amount of additive in the fluid. But for sure the higher flash points helps. My friend ATF always smells burnt when we change it.

Peace Out SuckA!!!!

post #4 of 5 Old 10-21-2011, 10:44 AM
6th Gear

You are probably right about it not being synthetic. Honda doesn't claim that it's synthetic. At least nothing on the bottle indicates it. If you haven't already, you might want to read this thread:

Honda's new DW-1 ATF

Among other things it should clear up that Mobil no longer makes Honda's oils.

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #5 of 5 Old 10-21-2011, 06:54 PM
1st Gear

I've run the Mobil 1 fully synthetic ATF on my wife's 05 Accord LX I4 since it turned 15,000 miles. I've changed it every 15,000, and getting ready to do it's 90,000 service. I'm also changing the in line filter at the same intervals.

I know this is overkill, and it "may" not even extend the life of the tranny, but by gosh, it'll be clean inside when I do finally have to tear it down someday.

-R
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.