Changing from 0W-20 to 5W-20 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-25-2011, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Changing from 0W-20 to 5W-20

I just got my first oil change and when I was asked which oil I wanted in it I specified 5W-20, but when I read the paperwork afterward it says they put in 0W-20. Clearly this is not what I wanted nor what all of the paperwork I have (including the number right on the oil cap which is 5W-20) specified.

I'm going back to the dealer to have them fix this because it costs me $30 more ($30 vs $60) to keep using 0W-20 from them. Clearly they were looking for an easy way to charge more money over the long run since this oil change didn't cost me anything since it was my first.

My question is, would there be a problem if I switched back to 5W-20 from 0W-20? 0W-20 is labeled as a semi-synthetic oil.

Thanks!

2010 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Added chrome exhaust tip finisher

Upcoming mods:

Signal light on side view mirrors (more like mod I wish I could do)
LED interior lighting
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-25-2011, 04:10 AM
6th Gear

Sleep well.... There is no problem at all.....

post #3 of 21 Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Leave it alone. 0W20 is full synthetic and it is totally pointless to have them change it. You got a freebie of the best oil they have to offer. In the future specify 5W20 if that's what you want and tell them you will not pay for the full synthetic. There is absolutely no reason to have it changed, none. 0W20 and 5W20 are interchangeable and no purpose is served by following through with this. You asked for a sweater and got a Mink coat!!! Appreciate what you got.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtexasf View Post
leave it alone. 0w20 is full synthetic and it is totally pointless to have them change it. You got a freebie of the best oil they have to offer. In the future specify 5w20 if that's what you want and tell them you will not pay for the full synthetic. There is absolutely no reason to have it changed, none. 0w20 and 5w20 are interchangeable and no purpose is served by following through with this. You asked for a sweater and got a mink coat!!! Appreciate what you got.
+1.

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L 2.4L 4cyl auto (sold)
2009 CR-V EX-L
2011 Accord Sedan EX-L 3.5L V6 auto
post #5 of 21 Old 03-25-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies, I was getting really worked up that the dealership once again doesn't listen to what I tell them (lesson learned to do my own oil).

Upcoming mods:

LED interior lighting
post #6 of 21 Old 03-25-2011, 05:30 PM
4th Gear

Another clear example of why we need to change our own fluids. I too can get a free oil change soon b/c it will be the first, but, I will be doing my own oil changes with Amsoil 0w20. AT least then I know what and how much is going in.

2011 Sedan EX-L V6

Mods:
* LED Rear Tail & Trunk Lights
* LED Interior from Xenon Depot
* Crosstour Interior Illumination Kit
* TSX rear sway bar
post #7 of 21 Old 03-26-2011, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I called back and asked why they blatantly didn't adhere to my request for 5W-20 and they reason they stated was that Honda changed the 2010 Accord oil to 0W-20 as the default oil to use. I don't know if I'm buying that...

Upcoming mods:

LED interior lighting
post #8 of 21 Old 03-26-2011, 06:20 AM
4th Gear

You can probably verify that on the Honda Owner Link web site.

In any case 0W20 will give you better fuel economy in winter. Plus, it's not like we need to change it very often. I get 11k miles to 15% on my 2008.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Okay, I've done some research into this and I got a TON of good information that can applied.

Here's Honda's Oil Application Guide on what they recommend which oil can go in which car. This came out in their November 2010 Honda Service Newsletter which you can see below:

So that's why they're starting to throw 0W-20 in may of their cars. As you can see the 0W-20 is optional for the areas indicated.

I didn't know until now that they had a service newsletter and you find out how to read them here: Honda Service News

Upcoming mods:

LED interior lighting
post #10 of 21 Old 04-10-2011, 04:16 PM
<= Jeep differential LOL.

You can put whatever you want in there. 30 weight will do just fine in any engine made after 1980, and especially well in anything made before.

2004 4Cyl/5MT Sedan Sold 3/14/15
Save the Manuals!
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R
post #11 of 21 Old 04-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to A&Fbro28 Send a message via Yahoo to A&Fbro28
I wonder if i can do 0w-20 on my TL. Im going to find out. I see 34mpg on the highway right now. They may be already using it.

Desmond,

2013 Honda FIT Sport w/ Navigation
5000k HID's, Leather seats, Full Harmon Kardon System System, Cusco Mid-Brace. 10mm rear spacers, Tanabe Medallion Exhaust, HPS short ram intake and Tein S-Tech springs with race header and more to come

08 Acura TL w/Technology Pkg

08 Taffeta White Honda Accord EX-L w/Navi Coupe (traded-in)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 21 Old 04-10-2011, 05:02 PM

Des,

If it calls for 5W20 then you can use 0W20, period. 5W20 can be a regular oil, a synthetic, or a blend so there's a lot to choose from. 0W20 is synthetic only and may be more difficult to find. The real advantage using "0" as opposed to "5" is in severe winter temperatures.....I'm talking Arctic here. Assuming your Acura calls for 5W20 a good synthetic will do all you ever want but isn't necessary at all. Since you bought that car used I would recommend Mobil 1 5W20 since it cleans extremely well. That would assure, over time, that your engine has no crud in it from the previous oil/owner. Honda, Mobil 1, or Toyota 0W20 would be among your top choices if you decide to go that direction. Hope that helps a bit.

Rick
post #13 of 21 Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to A&Fbro28 Send a message via Yahoo to A&Fbro28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
Des,

If it calls for 5W20 then you can use 0W20, period. 5W20 can be a regular oil, a synthetic, or a blend so there's a lot to choose from. 0W20 is synthetic only and may be more difficult to find. The real advantage using "0" as opposed to "5" is in severe winter temperatures.....I'm talking Arctic here. Assuming your Acura calls for 5W20 a good synthetic will do all you ever want but isn't necessary at all. Since you bought that car used I would recommend Mobil 1 5W20 since it cleans extremely well. That would assure, over time, that your engine has no crud in it from the previous oil/owner. Honda, Mobil 1, or Toyota 0W20 would be among your top choices if you decide to go that direction. Hope that helps a bit.

Rick
Hey Rick thanks. I have a service contract at Acura. They'll put 0w20 in if i want. Oil changes/ tires are in my car payment already . Good reading from you.

Desmond,

2013 Honda FIT Sport w/ Navigation
5000k HID's, Leather seats, Full Harmon Kardon System System, Cusco Mid-Brace. 10mm rear spacers, Tanabe Medallion Exhaust, HPS short ram intake and Tein S-Tech springs with race header and more to come

08 Acura TL w/Technology Pkg

08 Taffeta White Honda Accord EX-L w/Navi Coupe (traded-in)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-11-2011, 04:28 AM

Since that's the case, and assuming no extra charge is involved, the 0W20 synthetic would be the way to go. I ran it in my Accord from the very first oil change.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddendecoy View Post
I called back and asked why they blatantly didn't adhere to my request for 5W-20 and they reason they stated was that Honda changed the 2010 Accord oil to 0W-20 as the default oil to use. I don't know if I'm buying that...
It sounds like there saying they are buying only 0w-20 for all 5w-30 vehicles, so there not stocking dino 5w-20 weight . I wonder what they would put in a S2000 or SI .

Ed

2008 Accord LX, Alabaster Silver Metallic
gone 1985 XR4Ti
gone 1974 Opel Manta rally
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.