J30A5 using motorcraft oil - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-19-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
banned

J30A5 using motorcraft oil

I wanted to run an informal and strictly un-scientific but relevant poll.

How many 7th gen 7.5 gen or 8th gen Accords(or 4th, 5th and 6th for that matter) are currently running
Motorcraft 5w-20 oil?

Just a simple "Present" or "Here" like roll call in k-12 will do but observations welcome.

(I realize CP MC recently won the bid to provide the stock oil for Honda thru service dept but I'm not talking about this future event.)

Also, if you are not using this oil but are using another weights besides whats on your oil cap, please chime in with observations and comments.

Edit: mods please move to lubrication section as this one is my bad, thanks

Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemy06VtecV6 View Post
I wanted to run an informal and strictly un-scientific but relevant poll.

How many 7th gen 7.5 gen or 8th gen Accords(or 4th, 5th and 6th for that matter) are currently running
Motorcraft 5w-20 oil?

Just a simple "Present" or "Here" like roll call in k-12 will do but observations welcome.

(I realize CP MC recently won the bid to provide the stock oil for Honda thru service dept but I'm not talking about this future event.)

Also, if you are not using this oil but are using another weights besides whats on your oil cap, please chime in with observations and comments.
Bump, who uses MC oil in their honda and notices it runs superior to any other oil? Is it just me? I've been running it on here ever since stiller_fan or someone swore by it.

post #3 of 12 Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 PM
4th Gear

Mobil 1 for me.

2005 Accord EXL V6
2010 Rav4 Limited
2001 Civic LX 4dr 220K miles and still counting
2001 Yamaha R6
Bowman Kart(rented)

post #4 of 12 Old 01-20-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullShifter View Post
Mobil 1 for me.
You realize that oil is harder on the oil pump then lighter semi-synthetics. Easier pump=better or higher flow=hp gains. Pumping losses or the recapture of these pumping loses is the #1 favorite mod for vtec v6 who love it bone stock!
post #5 of 12 Old 01-20-2011, 11:11 PM
4th Gear

I use MC 5w-20 on all my Hondas. Dont feel any difference compare to other synthetic oils.

07 Coupe LX - Graphite Pearl - I4AT
First owner since Aug 07 with only 5 miles
OEM Fogs, Rear Wing, Door Visor, Trunk Tray, HFP Lip Kit, K&N Typhoon SRI, Interior, License, and Reverse Light LEDs, TL-S FSB and RSB, Koni Yellows, GC with Custom Rates, 500f 380r

Other cars in the family's garage
15 Accord EXLV6, 15 Mazda Miata Hard Top, 07 Odyssey LX, 04 Civic EX, 15 CR-V EX AWD
post #6 of 12 Old 01-21-2011, 04:11 AM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to xJoeMama78 Send a message via MSN to xJoeMama78 Send a message via Yahoo to xJoeMama78
I keep a quart of MC 5w-20 for top up.

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L L4 Auto ASM
Clear bra | Tint | T-rex | Injen | Weapon R | Eibach | Enkei | Goodyear | SPC | H9/HIR | Hoen | LEDs | Clarion | JL | Focal | Python

1997 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4
Tymar | Diamond Eye | Bilstein | Clarion | Fosgate | JL
post #7 of 12 Old 01-26-2011, 04:30 PM

I use the motorcraft semisyn 5w20, best bang for the buck, imo. I change every 5k.

Haven't had any issues and since the oil was formulated to meet Ford's double time high temperature tests when they still did it, it's a good high quality oil.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #8 of 12 Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
I use the motorcraft semisyn 5w20, best bang for the buck, imo. I change every 5k.

Haven't had any issues and since the oil was formulated to meet Ford's double time high temperature tests when they still did it, it's a good high quality oil.
Don't use it. But I know it's popular on other forums as well.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGEunit01 View Post
I use MC 5w-20 on all my Hondas. Dont feel any difference compare to other synthetic oils.
That's real funny in an interesting way because I always wondered why the difference is so night and day between this oil and every other oil *I* have tried such as Mobil 1 full syn, PP 5-20. If it wasn't for this oil, I would have hated my car. I also wondered if the same night and day difference was felt in the I4 since I mob a V6 but I guess not. Maybe the I4 is already tuned to the highest level from a design and factory standpoint?!

Quote:

Thanks Fred. I value what you say at such an extreme level because you know so much. It's so funny that I acquired the knowledge to use this oil directly from this site but what keeps me coming back is power bloggers like yourself.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemy06VtecV6 View Post
That's real funny in an interesting way because I always wondered why the difference is so night and day between this oil and every other oil *I* have tried such as Mobil 1 full syn, PP 5-20. If it wasn't for this oil, I would have hated my car. I also wondered if the same night and day difference was felt in the I4 since I mob a V6 but I guess not. Maybe the I4 is already tuned to the highest level from a design and factory standpoint?!
When I put the MC 5W-20 in my mom's Ody, it felt the same as before the oil change when I was testing it. I dont use the Ody, only when Im doing maintenance, so i cant really comment that much on the difference between the I4 and V6 although my mom says that it feels the same as before when i asked her. Money-wise, this is still the best SynBlend oil you can get for cheap. If only this oil comes in 5W-30 too for my Rav4. The night and day difference between this and other syn oils is the price! XD Dont know about I4s being tuned to the highest level from factory.

07 Coupe LX - Graphite Pearl - I4AT
First owner since Aug 07 with only 5 miles
OEM Fogs, Rear Wing, Door Visor, Trunk Tray, HFP Lip Kit, K&N Typhoon SRI, Interior, License, and Reverse Light LEDs, TL-S FSB and RSB, Koni Yellows, GC with Custom Rates, 500f 380r

Other cars in the family's garage
15 Accord EXLV6, 15 Mazda Miata Hard Top, 07 Odyssey LX, 04 Civic EX, 15 CR-V EX AWD
post #11 of 12 Old 01-28-2011, 05:14 PM

I can't say I've ever felt anything different when I switched from Redline 5w20 to the Motorcraft 5w20.

Maybe the car cranked a little faster with the MC oil, as the Redline is a bit more viscous when cold than the MC oil. No change in fuel mileage or power.

I've had the upper intake plate, and intake off when I installed the spacer, and there was minimal carbon in the EGR ports and nearly no liquid oil or varnish in the PCV passages. I do oil changes at 5k which is about twice a year.

I have been told that on K engines that if one uses Mobil 1 and it consumes it, switch to PP (both 5w30 for the revvers) and it should reduce. Haven't experienced it myself, but may try it on my sister's '09 Civic Si, that goes through a quart to a quart and a half per interval by the MM.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #12 of 12 Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM
banned

Quote:
I can't say I've ever felt anything different when I switched from Redline 5w20 to the Motorcraft 5w20.

Maybe the car cranked a little faster with the MC oil, as the Redline is a bit more viscous when cold than the MC oil. No change in fuel mileage or power.

I've had the upper intake plate, and intake off when I installed the spacer, and there was minimal carbon in the EGR ports and nearly no liquid oil or varnish in the PCV passages. I do oil changes at 5k which is about twice a year.

I have been told that on K engines that if one uses Mobil 1 and it consumes it, switch to PP (both 5w30 for the revvers) and it should reduce. Haven't experienced it myself, but may try it on my sister's '09 Civic Si, that goes through a quart to a quart and a half per interval by the MM.
bump, Fred my Accord is now right above 130k and some change and was wondering if I should consider switching to MC 5w-30 due to high heat of V6 AT of 7th gen combined with the high heat of south west texas and also because the car is getting "up there in mileage" approaching the "high mileage" oil series territory. Also, what are you thoughts on the %w-20 Mobil 1 High Mileage and compare and contrast all fours oils: Motorcraft 5w-20, MC 5w-30, Mobil 1 High mileage 5w.20. They also have the Advanced Fuel Economy 5w-20 that I am interested in their 0w-20.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.