Switching from Honda OEM to High Milage Castrol - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Switching from Honda OEM to High Milage Castrol

You guys think its good idea to switch from OEM Honda oil to castrol high milage oil? my car just hit 112k and I've changed oil consistently every 3k miles since it was driven off the lot. Im just wondering if it'll make my engine last longer.

2005 Accord EX I-4 AUTO SEDAN.
2015 Accord Sport I-4 CVT (Bought with 5 miles yay me)
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Low Gear

I used it a few times when I had my 97 Civic (110K+). Never noticed any different or benefit. Of course I would not noticed. So I went back to "what-ever-brand-that-is-on-sale" brand regular oil.

IMO, hype marketing.

If you been doing the same thing for 112K, and it works for you, keep on doing it. The most important thing is change. Not brand.

2016 Accord EX I4, 2010 Accord EX-L V6, 2017 Accord Sport
post #3 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highercal View Post
You guys think its good idea to switch from OEM Honda oil to castrol high mileage oil? . . .
If by "OEM Honda oil" you mean the motor oil sold under the Honda brand name, it is, in fact, Mobil Clean 5000 (MC5K), bottled for resale by Honda dealers. (You can read that on the bottle.) And, if you go to link below, you'll see that MC5K is pretty stout, among the best conventional oils you can buy. So is Castrol High Mileage. In other words, there's really no significant advantage to one over another, particularly if you are changing motor oil every 3k miles. But you can judge that for yourself from the linked data.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
If by "OEM Honda oil" you mean the motor oil sold under the Honda brand name, it is, in fact, Mobil Clean 5000 (MC5K), bottled for resale by Honda dealers. (You can read that on the bottle.) And, if you go to link below, you'll see that MC5K is pretty stout, among the best conventional oils you can buy. So is Castrol High Mileage. In other words, there's really no significant advantage to one over another, particularly if you are changing motor oil every 3k miles. But you can judge that for yourself from the linked data.
This is exactly the answer i was looking for looks like im sticking to old faithful. thanks for all.

2005 Accord EX I-4 AUTO SEDAN.
2015 Accord Sport I-4 CVT (Bought with 5 miles yay me)
post #5 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 07:00 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Interesting link...and fairly new outfit.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-01-2010, 04:39 AM
5th Gear

Highercal: I have an update, and this gets a little complicated. Please bear with me.

The second item in this link -- -- indicates that American Honda Motor Company (AHMC) has a new oil supplier for its factory fill and its bottled oil products, ConocoPhillips (CP). It will be several months before CP's products begin to appear at Honda dealers as "Honda Motor Oil," but it will happen.

ConocoPhillips, as you may know, has several motor oil products in addition to those sold under its own name. Those products include Motorcraft (bottled for the Ford Motor Co.) and Kendall Motor Oil. So, the question now is whether CP will simply repackage Motorcraft motor oil and distribute it as Honda Motor Oil -- which I think is likely -- or sell one of its other products as Honda Motor Oil.

The reason I believe CP will repackage Motorcraft as Honda Motor Oil is because Honda's factory fill is 5W-20 weight oil, which is also what Honda recommends for most of its cars. (The exceptions are Civic Si's and Acura's RDX. Honda recommends 5W-30 weight oil for the Si's and 5W-30 synthetic oil for its turbocharged RDX.)

But this is where it gets interesting. Motorcraft's 5W-20 weight oil is a semi-synthetic oil, and a very good one. So, if that's what CP supplies as "Honda Motor Oil" it would be a significant upgrade from Mobil Clean 5000, which is a conventional oil.

Thus, if that's how this plays out, you'll be a beneficiary of the Honda's changed oil supplier if you continue to buy the Honda's bottled oil.

Let me add one thing. What I've said here only applies to the bottled Honda Motor Oil. It does not apply to the bulk oil that Honda dealers are free to buy. The latter, bulk oil, can come from any supplier, and bulk oil typically is what Honda dealers use for customer oil changes unless the customer specifically asks for "Honda Motor Oil."
post #7 of 16 Old 09-01-2010, 07:35 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Highercal: I have an update, and this gets a little complicated. Please bear with me.

The second item in this link -- -- indicates that American Honda Motor Company (AHMC) has a new oil supplier for its factory fill and its bottled oil products, ConocoPhillips (CP). It will be several months before CP's products begin to appear at Honda dealers as "Honda Motor Oil," but it will happen.

ConocoPhillips, as you may know, has several motor oil products in addition to those sold under its own name. Those products include Motorcraft (bottled for the Ford Motor Co.) and Kendall Motor Oil. So, the question now is whether CP will simply repackage Motorcraft motor oil and distribute it as Honda Motor Oil -- which I think is likely -- or sell one of its other products as Honda Motor Oil.

The reason I believe CP will repackage Motorcraft as Honda Motor Oil is because Honda's factory fill is 5W-20 weight oil, which is also what Honda recommends for most of its cars. (The exceptions are Civic Si's and Acura's RDX. Honda recommends 5W-30 weight oil for the Si's and 5W-30 synthetic oil for its turbocharged RDX.)

But this is where it gets interesting. Motorcraft's 5W-20 weight oil is a semi-synthetic oil, and a very good one. So, if that's what CP supplies as "Honda Motor Oil" it would be a significant upgrade from Mobil Clean 5000, which is a conventional oil.

Thus, if that's how this plays out, you'll be a beneficiary of the Honda's changed oil supplier if you continue to buy the Honda's bottled oil.

Let me add one thing. What I've said here only applies to the bottled Honda Motor Oil. It does not apply to the bulk oil that Honda dealers are free to buy. The latter, bulk oil, can come from any supplier, and bulk oil typically is what Honda dealers use for customer oil changes unless the customer specifically asks for "Honda Motor Oil."
All speculation, isnt it? And really...I dont think it makes a hill of beans difference.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconVTR View Post
All speculation, isnt it? And really...I dont think it makes a hill of beans difference.
Speculation? No, it's a fact that ConocoPhillips is now HMC's motor oil supplier. As for whether it "makes a hill of beans," you can say that about most of what you read on any automobile website. I mean, do you really care that someone puts 18" wheels on his or her Accord sedan, or chooses to black-out the trim surrounding his windows?

On the other hand, I think many Honda owners who visit this site do care about the motor oil products they put in their cars. (The OP does. That's why he asked his questions.) Some oil products simply are better than others. MC5K, for example, is a better product than the XOM's Superflo for a host of reasons. I can't speak for you of course, but if it works out (as it may in this instance) that Honda owners will get a premium product at no additional cost, that too (IMHO) is worth knowing.

Additionally, if you care about the industry -- and perhaps trade HMC, XOM, RDS-A, COP, etc., as I do -- the fact that XOM is no longer a supplier to AHMC is worth knowing, particularly on a day like today when the market is up 200+ points.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-10-2010, 02:05 PM
5th Gear

Follow-up on XOM and COP.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Ice
6th Gear

P.S. Good read. Love the site! Thanks

2013 EX-L Sport V6, MSM/Black

Mods
- Llumar 30 + Air Blue 80
- B&I Wood Trim, exLED interior, deck lid spoiler, WeatherTech floor liner
- MUGEN Hydrophilic mirror, Sill garnish, SS RSX pedals
- Injen CAI, RV6 HFPC, Redtail exhaust, Sport wheels
- Rammat BXTII, Ensolite, Big 3
- Audison bit Ten, Kenwood XR-5S, Vifa XT25, Hertz HV165, IDQ12
- RX8 Projectors w/ Curved shield + E30 lens, Hella Gen 3, Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI, Philips HIR2, VLED VX3

2008 EX-L Night Hawk/Ivory, RIP

post #11 of 16 Old 09-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Stick with what you have been doing. I think 3,000 mile oil changes are 1960's thinking but it has worked well for you. Stick with the oil and change interval you have been using.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-10-2010, 04:20 PM
3rd Gear

quick question(not to thread hijack here but hey it is related - kinda). Just bought a 95k 03 accord v6. I'm going to be doing all my own service on it. However 5w20 is the manufacturer recommend weight. Should i stick with it here in colorado or go for something heavier like 5w30. Thanks!
post #13 of 16 Old 09-11-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S. View Post
Should i stick with it here in colorado or go for something heavier like 5w30. Thanks!
5w20 since it gets pretty cold in CO. Better flow on start up which is when most wear occurs.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-20-2011, 07:01 AM
My First Post

oil

Quote:
I have a Honda Accord 2000 used in Canada, and it is indicated "5w30" on the oil cap. Why would you state otherwise...

btw, i am not a mechanic.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-20-2011, 03:58 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guss007 View Post
I have a Honda Accord 2000 used in Canada, and it is indicated "5w30" on the oil cap. Why would you state otherwise...

btw, i am not a mechanic.
007, this thread is ten months old. It dealt with the issue of 20 weight motor oil and which oil manufacturer was (and is currently) the supplier of American Honda's bottled oil products. It isn't relevant to your model year Honda, nor was there any mention of it.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.