• 1 Post By enne
  • 2 Post By slimm1469
  • 1 Post By KW2004Accord
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-29-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Still miss my CRX

Garage
How to Help a Honda Last Forever

I'm taking delivery of only my second new Honda and want to set it up for a very long life.

I'm looking for expert tips on keeping it running forever. And can't think of a better place to gather that collective knowledge than here.

I'd like separate fact ("change your oil regularly") from fiction ("you MUST use only a Genuine Honda filter") - and anything that goes beyond, or is missed, by scheduled Honda maintenance.

I'm asking as a 2001 Accord owner (purchased new) that runs flawlessly - but burns a quart of oil every 1500 miles. I did all of the Honda scheduled service at every juncture - including oil. Is there anything more I could have done to prevent the oil consumption - or is that the luck of the draw?

Ultimately, what can I do to give my new Honda as good or better a chance at a long life as my 2001?

enne likes this.

2018 Accord Touring 2.0T/10AT
2010 Pilot Touring

Previous Hondas: 1976 Civic, 1984 CRX 1.5, 1972 Z600 Coupe, 1985 CRX 1.5, 2001 Accord EX-L

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-29-2017, 06:29 PM
6th Gear

Keeping all fluids changed, never letting the oil get low.

dugn likes this.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 506K - 2017 EX automatic
post #3 of 9 Old 11-30-2017, 12:34 AM
5th Gear

Only drive your new car on days that end with the letter "Y".

Don't use summer air in your tires after Labor day.
slimm1469, Das Chicken and dugn like this.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-30-2017, 05:02 AM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

During break in vary the rpm, so DO NOT just sit on a highway. Do several miles of acceleration and deceleration cycles, letting the engine braking slow the car down. This will help to seat the piston rings, preventing the very problem your 2001 accord has. Normally, I would suggest doing these acceleration and deceleration cycles and changing the oil at 100 miles, but we don't know what kind of magic Honda puts in at the factory, so I would just recommend changing the oil filter and topping off the oil. Check the oil regularly, learn what your car does to oil. Also smell the oil, it shouldn't smell like gas. Fuel dilution in the oil is a great way to ruin crank bearings, among other things. If you got an automatic, change the fluid, period. "Lifetime" transmission fluid is a scam. Their lifetime isn't as long as you want it to be.

Buy yourself an engine block heater, it looks like you are pretty far north, so use it when it gets cold(or as often as you want). I use my engine block heater every day(that I take my accord), and it runs smoother at startup when I pre-heat it. So now we get into the discussion of how long forever is for you. Are we talking within reason, or without reason? If we are being unreasonable, then buy yourself a pre-lube oil pump, I believe AMSOIL sells kits. A pre-lube pump lets you pressurize the oil system before starting the engine and avoiding that limited amount of time without oil pressure.

Driving: You, or other drivers are as likely to kill your car as your car is likely to kill itself. Drive defensively and don't let them kill your car. Don't drive into flood water of unknown depth, walk into it first or watch other people drive through it. Drive through flood water slowly, going fast is a one way ticket to hydrolocking the engine. Your engine's air filter is great at filtering the air, but its not perfect. If you see a dust cloud ahead(construction, etc), let off the gas or otherwise reduce throttle as you drive through the dust to reduce the amount of particles getting into your engine.

I was about to say add yourself to the user map, but I see you are already on there. Good work!
slimm1469 and dugn like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
The 9th Gen V6 Accord is the "mullet haircut" of the car industry. Bidness in the front, but party in the back when it's "GO TIME".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 152K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims

Last edited by Das Chicken; 11-30-2017 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Creating my army
The Following User Says Thank You to Das Chicken For This Useful Post:
dugn (11-30-2017)
post #5 of 9 Old 11-30-2017, 05:19 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugn View Post
I'm asking as a 2001 Accord owner (purchased new) that runs flawlessly - but burns a quart of oil every 1500 miles. I did all of the Honda scheduled service at every juncture - including oil. Is there anything more I could have done to prevent the oil consumption - or is that the luck of the draw?
It's pretty much an expected thing for 6th gens to do this regardless of how well they were kept. The seals in the car just get thin/brittle and things start leaking. Mine leaks/burns oil at a very slow rate, not enough to be alarming, but I would like to have the entire car re-sealed at some point (though it'd be a lot of money and work). But if it keeps the car going for a good long while, it's worth it. To me at least.

I would recommend using genuine Honda fluid for most things, besides engine oil and probably brake fluid. Some people swear by Honda-branded oil filters but I think most people get by just fine with a Fram or something similar. Transmission fluid and coolant, you should stick with Honda. I use Honda DW-1 ATF in my 1999 and though I don't use Honda brand, I use blue, Asian-car-specific coolant diluted 50/50. Unless they've changed their engineering recently, Honda seems to produce weak transmissions and they should be maintained very carefully. That means no "transmission fluid flush" at the dealership/shop when maintenance time comes... And coolant type is important in any car.

Hope that helps. Sorry I couldn't be more specific with what your new car needs. Your owner's manual will probably contain recommendations for what fluids to use in the car, and probably what should be done at each maintenance interval. If it doesn't I'm sure you can find a list online. Or, you can ask the dealer you're buying from, but they might tell you to only use Honda everything and only get service at their establishment, haha.
dugn likes this.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
The Following User Says Thank You to enne For This Useful Post:
dugn (11-30-2017)
post #6 of 9 Old 11-30-2017, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Still miss my CRX

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Chicken View Post
During break in vary the rpm, so DO NOT just sit on a highway. Do several miles of acceleration and deceleration cycles, letting the engine braking slow the car down. This will help to seat the piston rings, preventing the very problem your 2001 accord has.
Check the oil regularly, learn what your car does to oil. Also smell the oil, it shouldn't smell like gas. Fuel dilution in the oil is a great way to ruin crank bearings, among other things. If you got an automatic, change the fluid, period.
Buy yourself an engine block heater ... it runs smoother at startup when I pre-heat it.
Buy yourself a pre-lube oil pump, I believe AMSOIL sells kits. A pre-lube pump lets you pressurize the oil system before starting the engine and avoiding that limited amount of time without oil pressure.

I was about to say add yourself to the user map, but I see you are already on there. Good work!
All very helpful tips! I'd wondered about the correct procedure to 'break in' a new engine after my father (an auto mechanic) always mentioned the importance of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
It's pretty much an expected thing for 6th gens to do this regardless of how well they were kept. The seals in the car just get thin/brittle and things start leaking. Mine leaks/burns oil at a very slow rate, not enough to be alarming...
Good to know it's not just me - and that I didn't do anything wrong (I've serviced my 2001 flawlessly since I bought it new).

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
I would recommend using genuine Honda fluid for most things, besides engine oil and probably brake fluid. ... Transmission fluid and coolant, you should stick with Honda.

I use Honda DW-1 ATF in my 1999 and though I don't use Honda brand, I use blue, Asian-car-specific coolant diluted 50/50. Unless they've changed their engineering recently, Honda seems to produce weak transmissions and they should be maintained very carefully. That means no "transmission fluid flush" at the dealership/shop when maintenance time comes... And coolant type is important in any car.

Hope that helps.
Indeed! A BIG help. And exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks Das Hhnchen and enne! Good stuff!

Another question: Honda sells cars with notoriously anemic batteries. And so many electronic gremlins stem from weak or flaky power. I want to update mine straightaway.

Any recommendation for a better battery replacement right out of the gate for good CCA and general reliability for the host of additional electronics the new cars are sporting?
Attached Images

2018 Accord Touring 2.0T/10AT
2010 Pilot Touring

Previous Hondas: 1976 Civic, 1984 CRX 1.5, 1972 Z600 Coupe, 1985 CRX 1.5, 2001 Accord EX-L

post #7 of 9 Old 11-30-2017, 06:16 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
You're very welcome; I'm sure you'll do just fine taking care of your new Honda as you did your old one.

Edit: To add onto Das Chicken's advice about breaking the engine in, don't baby the engine ever after the break-in period. IIRC letting the car hit high RPM occasionally helps with proper oil distribution.
dugn likes this.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #8 of 9 Old 11-30-2017, 06:58 AM
Uptown Rooter

Honda has used some bad oil rings on certain engines, as you and other posters have noticed. If you have VCM, disable it. The cylinders that VCM shuts off are more likely to consume oil and foul plugs.
enne and dugn like this.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #9 of 9 Old 11-30-2017, 08:19 AM
6th Gear

BOSCH AGM battery (Pep Boys) some members like, Walmart, AZ, Advance are all Johnson Controls batteries. I have not had good luck with Deka (NAPA).
dugn likes this.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 506K - 2017 EX automatic
The Following User Says Thank You to KW2004Accord For This Useful Post:
dugn (11-30-2017)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.