Honda Genuine Oil vs. Mobil1 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Honda Genuine Oil vs. Mobil1

How do these two compare? I see the ExxonMobil logo on the Honda jug. Just wondering if anyone has actually looked to see if there is any differences. Thanks for the input

2010 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6 Speed CBP--Six Sex
1999 Accord Sedan LX I4 AT White-- Girlfriends creampuff

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 5AT NHBP--SOLD 19,700 miles
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Freelance Gynecologist

Truth be told, it doesn't really make that much of a difference. My personal choice is to use the synthetic, but not necessarily for protection issues.

If you're concerned about protecting your engine, the thing to do is to periodically send your oil in for analysis, and then gauge from there which oil would serve you best.

I've also read that there are slight differences in HP (very slight) between different oils (which were tested in a Nissan engine). If I remember correctly, Mobil 1 scored best in that case.

Regards,
Diesel

'12 Accord Coupe
post #3 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 02:05 PM
5th Gear

New environmental guidelines have made the motor oil very NON Sticky and not as protective to vital engine parts.
Best is to mix with diesel engine oil.

post #4 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

I too prefer synthetic. I was just browsing Honda parts warehouse and noticed the Oil was made by ExxonMobil. I know many people on here swear by Mobil1 or Pennzoil, just wondering if anyone has analyzed it themselves. I know I could send it off myself, but this would take two oil changes to come to a conclusion.

post #5 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Honda branded oil is Mobil 5000, a dino oil. The same is true for Toyota. Mobil 1 is a synthetic which is capable of longer oil changes, not to exceed what the manual states. If you buy Honda Synthetic you are buying Mobil 1. You can buy it for less at Wal-Mart and change the oil yourself. Receipts are paramount if you ever have an engine claim.
post #6 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Thank you, thats exactly what I wanted to know. I plan on doing the changes myself and keeping all docs for warranty purposes. Looks like I'll be going to Walmart and picking up a 5qt jug of Mobil1 5w-20 pretty soon.

post #7 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 08:39 AM
5th Gear

There is a news letter that states that honda is now will be changing over to 0W20
post #8 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk08 View Post
I too prefer synthetic. I was just browsing Honda parts warehouse and noticed the Oil was made by ExxonMobil. I know many people on here swear by Mobil1 or Pennzoil, just wondering if anyone has analyzed it themselves. I know I could send it off myself, but this would take two oil changes to come to a conclusion.
It takes many more than two to establish a trend. Since every car, driver, and driving situation is different how could someone else's oil analysis be of any help to you? You need to send YOUR oil in to get a proper reading.
post #9 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattmann View Post
New environmental guidelines have made the motor oil very NON Sticky and not as protective to vital engine parts.
Best is to mix with diesel engine oil.
Where did you get that poor information........a comic book?
post #10 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 12:51 PM
6th Gear

Diesel oil is something like 20-40, thats a heavy oil to mix in our engines.

2008 Accord Coupe EX Silver
20% tint
Viper 5701 2-way Responder LE w/ remote start
Weathertech floor liners front & Back
OEM deck lid spoiler
Factory fogs added
Xenon depot 5k HIDs

RETURNED LEASE...Weathertech for sale.
New ride 2011 F-150 FX4 Ecoboost super crew
post #11 of 43 Old 04-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Stanced 8thGen Accord

Noob question, but isn't true that synthetic oil shouldn't be used in a car that has less than 30k miles..

10' V6 Coupe BBP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 43 Old 04-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPearl2010 View Post
Noob question, but isn't true that synthetic oil shouldn't be used in a car that has less than 30k miles..
Many cars come with synthetic from the factory.
post #13 of 43 Old 04-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Stanced 8thGen Accord

mmm that nice to hear i wonder if i change my car now that has 10k miles to synthetic oil will cause any affect..

I know i have always used synthetic but always around 30k +

10' V6 Coupe BBP

post #14 of 43 Old 04-21-2010, 06:26 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk08 View Post
I sent off my Mobil 1 Synthetic to Blackstone Labs. IIRC, at the time, my vehicle had about 45K.

For best analysis, I didn't send the first batch of oil right after I went to the Mobil 1 Synthetic but waited till the second change so it was more likely the old oil was out of the system. So it went 1) change from dino (or whatever the person was using before I purchased the car) to Mobile 1 synthetic, 2) perform another oil change at 3k, 3) send the third change's oil to the Labs after 6k.

Results were excellent. The elements levels were all low / highly acceptable. There was still a high quantity of the additive Mobil 1 uses (i.e. it hadn't broken down/been used up).

Blackstone Labs said I should try putting a couple thousand more miles on the next batch of oil and send them the results again to see how the oil performed at something like 8k.

I planned to do that, but then I decided to try the Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy. Of course I had to wait and do two oil changes, so on my next oil change I'll be sending the oil off to Blackstone Labs.

Eventually I will try a longer 8k run on the oil and send those results in too.

If you don't want to send the results in yourself, check out

More specifically, check the Oil Reports portion of their forum:

7.5 Gen 2006 Accord Coupe EX 4cyl Manual

17mm rear sway bar
EBC Red Stuff Brakes
EBC Rotors
Yokohama AVID TRZ
Mobil 1 Synthetic and Filter
Infinity Reference
post #15 of 43 Old 04-21-2010, 06:31 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPearl2010 View Post
mmm that nice to hear i wonder if i change my car now that has 10k miles to synthetic oil will cause any affect..

I know i have always used synthetic but always around 30k +
I've used synthetic since my first oil change at 5,000 miles, no problems. It's also never too late to change to synthetic. My fathers pickup has in upwards of 110,000 miles and I only had him switch about 10,000 miles ago, no problems.

2009 Honda Accord EX Sedan-TSX rsb, TSX AT Shift Knob, Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel-My car
2006 Honda Accord SE Sedan-Sisters
2004 Nissan Frontier XE-Fathers
2004 Toyota Highlander V6-Mothers
2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan-Grandfathers
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.